Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 M3 Subframe Reinforcement Inspection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    E46 M3 Subframe Reinforcement Inspection

    Looking at buying this E46 M3. Seller says the RACP/subframe mounting area was previously cracked and repaired/reinforced. These are the underside reinforcement and trunk-side photos. For those of you who have professionally repaired E46 RACPs: does this appear structurally and properly repaired? I'm particularly concerned about the weld quality, the trunk-side welding, and the line/crack visible adjacent to the plate. Would you buy this as-is, or have the repair stripped and inspected? Or does this reinforcement appear questionable? He had receipts for the reinforcement however I am questioning the weld quality and was hoping our experts could chime in.

    #2
    That is a mediocre underside plate install at best - booger welds and not welding the complete perimeter of the plate. This looks like a DIY or rush job. Wherever they left voids, cracks can propagate out and moisture can get in forming rust, both of which seem to be happening based on those pictures. Best way to assess the job and see if those plates are salvageable is to have a shop remove the rear subframe.

    Inside the trunk looks factory.
    Last edited by Slideways; 10-03-2026, 02:16 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Your awesome, thank you for this reply. Honestly if you were buying an E46 M3, and this is what you found on the list after the seller showed you an invoice for 11k that includes the RACP reinforcement. Would you walk away or try to get the subframe inspected?

      Comment


        #4
        The rear subframe reinforcement requires inpsecting the top side of the front mounts which requires removal of the rear seat bottom and cutting into the sheet metal. Should have a pic of that if the reinforcement was done thoroughly.

        I never give credit to any seller for the big 3 - most cases the job is incomplete or incorrect. Exhibit A here. In fact, I get nervous about rod bearing jobs because it is possible they already had a rod knock, cleaned up the crank, threw rod bearings at it and then listed it for sale. Then you spin another bearing in a couple thousand miles.

        Maybe a few OGs here on the forum would get that credit.

        Comment


          #5
          Is that body filler all over/around the plates?

          Also whats up with what appears to be a hole in the reinforcement plate in the first picture?
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

          OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/TCK Vorshlag/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

          2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            Is that body filler all over/around the plates?

            Also whats up with what appears to be a hole in the reinforcement plate in the first picture?
            Off the shelf spray paint lol. Least they could have done was used the SEM stuff.
            Last edited by Slideways; 10-03-2026, 08:12 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              Thats super unfortunate how much time was spent to drop the rear subframe just for someone to learn to weld for the first time.

              As a buyer I would feel more comfortable if a shop did this.

              If some shop botched one job on the car, ok, unfortunate, but it can be fixed.
              But if the previous owner did this and all other work, god forbid engine work, be afraid and walk away.
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

              OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/TCK Vorshlag/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

              2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

              Comment


                #8
                Sorry for not replying earlier. It has been a busy few days. Thank you all for chiming in so quickly and giving me the direction and advice I needed. I recognized the welds looked horrible and too many things about this vehicle seemed questionable, but I needed advice from those with the knowledge and experience that have seen what a good quality subframe reinforcement looks like. I am going to continue to hunt for a solid E46 M3.

                Whats crazy is that they provided an invoice that showed the subframe reinforcement cost and that it was paid. When I did research the shop seemed like a reputable shop, but I guess I was wrong. You guys might find this interesting, check out the invoice he sent me it is attached.
                Attached Files

                Comment


                  #9
                  Not sure if you should be posting PII of other people on the internets...

                  They didn't even replace the subframe bushings? That's a seriously half assed job.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X