No announcement yet.

Radar Detector setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

False sense of security. I got more tickets with a RD than without.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

V1 (now Gen 2) and waze.
      2006 Alpine White M3 ZCP 6MT
      2000 Alpine White Dinan ISR-3 M Roadster
      2000 Avus Blue M5
      Few other non-BMWs….

Comment

Uniden R7, Waze, and ALPS. I am awaiting the upcoming Radenso Theia offering to see if it lives up to the hype.

Comment

I have a V1 that I wanna trade in for the V2. It's a warning but it's no Wazey. All my cars are hardwired for the V1 since I swap it out with me.
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I mount my V1 to the passenger's visor and hardwire it into the fusebox. I have the bluetooth module and it lives in the box as well. I use the JBV1 3rd-party app and hold the phone with a RAM mount. Newest version of the V1 (V1Gen2) has built in Bluetooth.

Depending on where you live and how you like to drive, it may or may not be useful. It's extra information, but it's not a substitute for using your brain. On the highway, it won't stop you getting lasered, so you can't come barreling over blind rises and what not. It can help you reliably avoid traveling oncoming radar and sloppy constant-on speed traps. Sometimes you'll even get saves from instant-on in moderate traffic. I've never tried laser jamming, and where I live there isn't enough traffic for Waze, but I could see both of those being useful on the highway in more densely populated areas with more traffic and more laser.

In the city, many find the falses rather annoying to the point where they hamstring the detector with filtering. Lots of hype around Theia for this reason. Personally, I find all extra information helpful above 40mph (just automute the thing below that using JBV1) and don't mind the falsing.

Radar detection is extremely useful on country/back roads. Better returns on my V1 than index funds - that's for sure.
            Last edited by ethan; 07-09-2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I have a Uniden R7 and its awesome. I had it hardwired to my rear view mirror before I did my CF roof, when I removed it for some odd reason i can't get it to power back on with just the car.

Anyone here use an Invisicord for their radar detector?

Comment

Uniden R7 hardwired to the fuse box. I use the suction mount on the windshield and I love it because there are no rattles and its very secure (also free).
                I've had the radar for about a month now. I have all the filters turned on and its very quiet. There are some false alerts with BSM cars (honda/acura mostly) and construction zone markers.
                The range is unreal honestly. Huge upgrade over my passport x8500i

I had the Redline 360c ordered but it was backordered and I did not want to wait any longer. The Uniden R7 is about 300$ cheaper and the performance differences are miniscule with Unidens updates.
                IMO you cant go wrong with either option. Do what works for your budget.

Comment

Another R7 here. Best I've ever used. I've seen positive alerts at 3 miles. Uber customizable and upgradable. This plus Waze and not driving like a total ass and you're good.

I have it hard wired to the mirror in another daily vehicle and just unplug and transfer to the m3 when needed. Suction mount and ghetto lighter plug cord. I really should hard wire and just get another whole unit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm proud to say I've never owned a radar detector.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Valentine 1 Gen 2

Order it straight from them

Best price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        False sense of security. I got more tickets with a RD than without.
                        Then youre not doin it right😁

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post

Then youre not doin it right😁
                          No tickets in a decade, and I'm a lead foot. I'm doing fine.
                          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

No tickets in a decade, and I'm a lead foot. I'm doing fine.
                            It's pretty simple really, know when and where to drive like a hooligan
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                              I'm proud to say I've never owned a radar detector.
                              Me neither, until my coworker gifted me a V1. It's still in the box...

I used to get pulled over all the time, but my only ticket was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming where a radar detector might actually have been useful.

Comment

If we're talking backroads, long stretches of highway, etc. they can be plenty useful, and have saved me from getting pulled over in places where the cops might not have been sympathetic to an out-of-towner speeding through their jurisdiction. For city driving or around town, I never hoon it so there's no point.

That being said, these things really only need to save your ass once to pay for themselves – at least based on the price and hassle of dealing with speeding tickets around here.

Previously had a V1 gen 1 hardwired above my mirror, running the K-band filtering via YaV1 on an Android phone to reduce falses. With that setup, found it good for general awareness of CHP presence on the highways, as their cars all run Ka band. It's definitely more of a security blanket than anything as my awareness is fine and if I'm speeding it's with the flow of traffic, but I drive an LSB so you never know when they might make an example out of you.

Took it out recently before dropping my car off at a shop and haven't been able to find the damn thing since...
                                '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                                All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                                X