Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turner Monoball FCAB FAULTY? (creaking and knocking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Are you saying forcing them over the rough casting deforms the inner race?

Also, I installed mine about 1,200 miles ago and they have been silent.
    I believe so, like EACMEN said he had the same issue, I still had to push them on a bit after dremeling but not nearly as much. I unfortunately threw away the instructions bcuz i did it like 3 months ago but i believe turner says that you may need to Dremel the control arm

Comment

Originally posted by Jake.s54 View Post

I believe so, like EACMEN said he had the same issue, I still had to push them on a bit after dremeling but not nearly as much. I unfortunately threw away the instructions bcuz i did it like 3 months ago but i believe turner says that you may need to Dremel the control arm
      Yeah they do mention it and it makes sense that this might be OPs issue. The instructions also say something about having the bearing bind if pressed in incorrectly.

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...6TMS~A_INS.pdf
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Just to clarify, there were no fitment issues noted while pressing the fcab's onto the control arm and the fcab's actuated freely and spun freely around the control arm. I did share a few posts here regarding this point with Matt Coyne and he confirmed that there were zero fitment or binding issues that he could see, hear, or feel. Hopefully it is simply the wrong grease (though I am suspect of that being the issue...), and the grease TMS is shipping will resolve the issue. If it isn't that, well, I'm out of ideas : \ except for a bad bearing which is only being noticed under load.
        2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
        2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreid View Post
          Just to clarify, there were no fitment issues noted while pressing the fcab's onto the control arm and the fcab's actuated freely and spun freely around the control arm. I did share a few posts here regarding this point with Matt Coyne and he confirmed that there were zero fitment or binding issues that he could see, hear, or feel. Hopefully it is simply the wrong grease (though I am suspect of that being the issue...), and the grease TMS is shipping will resolve the issue. If it isn't that, well, I'm out of ideas : \ except for a bad bearing which is only being noticed under load.
          How old are your struts? When I got my M3 7 years ago it made a groan/popping/clunking noise in the front. Turned out the Bildstein PSS9 struts were blown and looked to be for quite a few miles (the mono tubes had major pitting). The units were so bad causing them to bind when traveling throughout the stroke. Just something to look at.

Comment

I think I am starting to experience these sounds. I will try re-greasing them and see if that resolves it. I always felt the control arm could have gone further into the bushing when I was installing them but did not dremel the control arm to do so.

Looks Iike I have to get myself to mess around with these. If I can't resolve it I may go back to OEM FCAB's.
            2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
            Build///Journal
            IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

This is what I ended up doing.

Comment

The grease from TMS did *not* fix the issue. At this point it's likely a bad FCAB and we have the option of replacement or refund. Replacements from TMS are on back order. Any suggestions other than fresh OEM rubber?
                Last edited by mcfreid; 07-17-2020, 02:19 PM.
                2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
                2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

The grease from TMS did *not* fix the issue. At this point it's likely a bad FCAB and we have the option of replacement or refund. Replacements from TMS are on back order. Any suggestions other than fresh OEM rubber?
                  Fresh OEM FCABs feel great. Unless you're dedicated track that is what I would go with.

That being said, the BW TrackCAB came on our track car and I like it.

Comment

I'm running Whiteline FCABs. I think they're a sleeper in this category. Feels tighter when pushing and rides like OE rubber, but hopefully will last longer. No noise either. I've had polys that got clunky over time, even after regreasing them. And they come with the lollipops!

Comment

have enough of these incidents happened to the point that we can call this a product to avoid? ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by clawhamm3r View Post
                        I'm running Whiteline FCABs. I think they're a sleeper in this category. Feels tighter when pushing and rides like OE rubber, but hopefully will last longer. No noise either. I've had polys that got clunky over time, even after regreasing them. And they come with the lollipops!
                        Still poly tho right?
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I'm so happy that *touch wood* my Turner FCABs have been great so far. they are so much better than my old stock and new PowerFlex ones but I would definitely be pretty angry if they were squeaking and knocking all over the place... my only complaint so far would be how annoying they are to try grease regularly because of the grease point location

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

have enough of these incidents happened to the point that we can call this a product to avoid? ​​​​​​​
                            I would say yes. Avoid.

Early stock of these units seemed to work well for people. Latest production seems to have some QC issues. Probably because ECS started using their vendors for production.

The first set I got had a blocked grease channel and had to be returned and replaced. Second set we installed and they would bind. Followed troubleshooting doc and did not get better. Switched back to OE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has it been determined whether the issue is with both preassembled units and those that aren’t?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruley View Post
                                Has it been determined whether the issue is with both preassembled units and those that aren’t?
                                Not sure but as a data point mine were the pre-assembled units... I believe some people tried to shy away from these as the lollipop bit used is not OE but an aftermarket brand like MTC or something so some people had fitment issues with where the lollipop bolts on to the frame. I had no such issues thank goodness

Comment

Working...
                                X