SMG Conversion to Manual, Update and pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG Conversion to Manual, Update and pics

I figured I would share my experience so far on my SMG to Manual swap.
    I recently purchased a 2003 M3 coupe with 55k miles. Extremely clean, with records and owned by an adult enthusiast who garaged it. I really wanted a manual, but figured I would run the SMG for a while and convert it later.
    The bearings were done at 4k, the vanos was starting to make some noise per the last maintenance records and the subframe was not reinforced.
    I just did the subframe (my second E46 reinforcement.... first was a '99 328i track car) and figured since I had a lot of the underside off, I would just do the conversion now. The vanos will be done as soon as the conversion is complete.

The transmission removal was straight forward... thanks to this and other forum info. I also have a lift in my garage... so that makes a lot of this easier.

The bell housing machining went as expected. I have access to a good mill and was able to set up the bell housing and machine both detent holes to the specs I found online.

I went the route of threading the holes for an -8AN oring plug fitting, instead of the plugs with the snap-ring. Easier to machine and also service later if needed.

For the spring catch pin on the inside, I used a dowel and machined it to match the pin on the arm inside the bell housing. I bought a pack, and machined a few extra if anyone needs one. Just pay for shipping, and I will send it to you. I have 3.

Happy to answer any questions. The detent springs and parts will be here tomorrow, so I can start assembly this week. I will post more as I make progress. Going on vacation in a week, so it may take a while to get this all back together.

Bill
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wsybert; 06-28-2020, 03:54 PM.

looks good, i may be going this route soon if i continue to have smg issues. i will probably look to source a manual bellhousing as im not sure there is a reliable machine shop around to assist.

Comment

Looking good so far!
      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I am interested in a spring catch pin PM sent

Comment

Hey! nice work.

I decided to do this myself as well.. I don't have a mill but I just bought a nice drill press and planning to use that. can you please PM me with some details to which drills you used and how you made the lip from 16mm to 18mm on the inside of the BH for the bushings to stop at.
          Also if you still have one of those pins, Id love to take it off your hands!

Comment

Any updates on the install?

Very jealous of your workspace.

The bell housing machining went as expected. I have access to a good mill and was able to set up the bell housing and machine both detent holes to the specs I found online.
            Are you able to advise the setout and dimensions of the holes drilled? I have seen a hand sketch floating around the internet of the hole sizes, but also have read comments that it is not correct. Hoping you are able to confirm.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Will993 View Post
              Any updates on the install?

Very jealous of your workspace.

Are you able to advise the setout and dimensions of the holes drilled? I have seen a hand sketch floating around the internet of the hole sizes, but also have read comments that it is not correct. Hoping you are able to confirm.

Will
              not sure about OP, but I followed the general instructions and the trany works just as it should.. no issues other than the mental paranoia that something will explode lol

Comment

Working...
              X