FYI: Troubleshooting SMG Relocation Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post
    Just wanted to add to this discussion, i was having air entering the system through a bad oring on the pump reservoir (no the expansion tank) where it meets the expension tank - two orings (black and green) need to be replaced. I assume since the pump is vertical it puts more pressure here and causes air to enter. I replaced the oring and bled the system and problem is solved. This sound was more pronounced during summer (Cali summer) reaching 105 in stop and go traffic (a lot of shifting) - Additionally, the hydraulic extension lines sold by burkhart are a bit too long in my opinion, leaves extra slack which if you leave it at where the pump is (rolled up) it will make the sound more pronounced. I ended up leaving the slack on the other end by the steering column - heavily ziptied - additionally, do not run the lines behind the valve cover/block when outside temps reach 105 - 110, the CHF11s fluid becomes useless and the pump cannot hold pressure as the fluid is overheating (reached 140f and cannot hold pressure)

PS: bought the oring from harbor freight- vitton variety pack.

hope this helps someone!

best,
    irhase46m3
    If you don't route it behind the valve cover where do you route it?

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

If you don't route it behind the valve cover where do you route it?
      I have it routed over the valve cover, fuel rail, airbox, and the lines drops behind the air elbow and use a heat shielding sleeve, I can send you a photo if you like.

Comment

I have it routed over the valve cover, fuel rail, airbox, and the lines drops behind the air elbow and use a heat shielding sleeve, I can send you a photo if you like.
        please do! Everyone seems to always route behind valve cover, you are the first i've heard of doing something different.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

please do! Everyone seems to always route behind valve cover, you are the first i've heard of doing something different.
          Sure thing, when i step out of the office, I've tried it both ways but with the increasing summer temperatures its impossible for me to keep it behind the block without the fluid overheating, almost burned my pump motor because of it. I am unsure if the burkhart oil would fix this as in their online documentation it says their oil also operates at 140f max, i was getting temperatures of 147f while i was logging the pump.

Comment

Sure thing, when i step out of the office, I've tried it both ways but with the increasing summer temperatures its impossible for me to keep it behind the block without the fluid overheating, almost burned my pump motor because of it. I am unsure if the burkhart oil would fix this as in their online documentation it says their oil also operates at 140f max, i was getting temperatures of 147f while i was logging the pump.
            Burkhart used to say not to use their fluid for relocation, they have seemed to remove that statement from their website.

Comment

There are insulating covers, as those designed for protecting spark plug wires on hot rods, and insulating wraps that could help protect the hydraulic lines. That is something that I have been considering when I get around to relocating my cars pump.

Comment

Originally posted by MacCube View Post
                There are insulating covers, as those designed for protecting spark plug wires on hot rods, and insulating wraps that could help protect the hydraulic lines. That is something that I have been considering when I get around to relocating my cars pump.
                Yes, everything in my engine bay is using heat protective sleeves from DEI or Mishimoto and their heat protective tapes. Still, the hydraulic fluid would breakdown. I am now pondering moving the pump back into its original location and create a metal heat shield for as its in proximity to the engine. My biggest fuss with the relocation kit is the amount of air that gets in the system and the effort that it takes to bleed it out. What should be a few hours of bleeding is now turned into a weekend project (under my current set of variables)

Comment

Yes, everything in my engine bay is using heat protective sleeves from DEI or Mishimoto and their heat protective tapes. Still, the hydraulic fluid would breakdown. I am now pondering moving the pump back into its original location and create a metal heat shield for as its in proximity to the engine. My biggest fuss with the relocation kit is the amount of air that gets in the system and the effort that it takes to bleed it out. What should be a few hours of bleeding is now turned into a weekend project (under my current set of variables)
                  Some have ducted a cold air intake with DC fan onto the pump in its original location with success.

Comment

As I've considered this I think I'm settling on just changing the fluid every 2 years like brake fluid. It's not like it's 9 liters of fluid or anything. For the gray matter involved, just change it more often. No need to re-engineer another problem and another solution to go along with it, in some vicious cycle as if I have nothing better to do.

$.02

maw

EDIT... I see one mistake that BMW made here, and it wasn't the location of the pump. It was the fluid specification, notably that it didn't need to be changed. Change it often, and you've solved that problem as far as I can tell. MB made that same problem with this same Pentosin, and the same solution applies flawlessly.
                    Last edited by maw1124; 08-16-2023, 03:04 PM.

Comment

There is a brake line that runs across the firewall directly behind the engine that has no heat protection, I would have guessed that engine heat would not have been a big problem for the pumps hydraulic lines.
                      The original layout design for the hydraulic lines can do nothing but trap air in the system. The two high points are where the lines connect to the actuator/ slave cylinder and the connection to the pump. It’s surprisingly that the system bleeds as well as it does. This is why I was considering running the hydraulic lines directly to the actuators along the top side of the transmission and then into the drug bin so that the pump becomes the highest point in the system. I know that doing this would be a nightmare, as the transmission would need to be tipped down to gain access, but it should eliminate any problems with trapped air in the system. Theoretically at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X