Caliper Bracket Bolts Size/Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper Bracket Bolts Size/Source

I went to reinstall my rear caliper bracket and one of the bolts snapped under pressure before the 81ft lb torque was reached. After that experience, I figure I should replace all of these 16 year old bolts. Anyone know the specs for these bolts and where to source them? The BMW brand bolts retail for an absurd price ($15 per piece for the front!)

From RealOEM I found:

Fronts: M12 x 1.5, x 41. I can't for the life of me find 10.9 grade flanged bolts in M12 x 1.5. Anyone have a source for these?
    Rears: M10 X 26.5. RealOEM is missing the thread pitch, does anyone know it?

Ideally I'd just go to the hardware store but given the whole being unable to leave my house thing right now I'm trying to source these online.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide

The correct spec for the rear caliper bracket mount bolt is 48 ft lb. The torque spec guide posted on this forum (and previously on M3F) incorrectly specifies 81 ft lb for both the front and rear.

I attempted to torque my rear's to 81 ft lb but became concerned and stopped when I could not reach the spec. I dug out the Bentley manual and found that it specified 48 ft lb.

Have you tried McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) ?

Jesse
    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I just noticed the same after checking newTIS. No wonder it snapped! I thought something didn't feel right and checked that torque thread like 3x to make sure. Should have gone to newTIS right away or just trusted my gut....ugh.

Thanks for the suggestion - I did try McMaster without any luck. I emailed them seeing if they could potentially source them. Since the rears are "only" $4 I may just suck it up and buy two for the ones I over tightened/snapped. I'm not so overly concerned with replacing them all now knowing that it only snapped because I near doubled the specified torque.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
        The correct spec for the rear caliper bracket mount bolt is 48 ft lb. The torque spec guide posted on this forum (and previously on M3F) incorrectly specifies 81 ft lb for both the front and rear.

I attempted to torque my rear's to 81 ft lb but became concerned and stopped when I could not reach the spec. I dug out the Bentley manual and found that it specified 48 ft lb.

Have you tried McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) ?

Jesse
        Is it from the PDF that Flow created? It has 48ft-lbs 65nm for the rear bracket bolts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 8.41.05 PM.png
Views:	1187
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	4090

Comment

The one reposted on this forum, which says it was created by Flow. It lists 81ft lbs. Maybe it was updated at some point?

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ar-on-diagrams

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.49.15 PM.png
Views:	1166
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	4095

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer View Post
            The one reposted on this forum, which says it was created by Flow. It lists 81ft lbs. Maybe it was updated at some point?

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ar-on-diagrams

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.49.15 PM.png
Views:	1166
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	4095
            Mine is dated 2016-04-08

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Mine is dated 2016-04-08
              How many pages is your version? I know more recently there was information about the head/valves/cams/pistons added.
              Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

How many pages is your version? I know more recently there was information about the head/valves/cams/pistons added.
                76 pgs

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

76 pgs
                  Yeah interesting so I think 2016 version would not have that additional cam/valve/etc info yet, latest I think is about 98 pages. Weird that that spec (and maybe others(?)) would be different/incorrect.
                  Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Found a link to the updated version in bimmerfan08's rod bearing DIY.

Easy cloud file sharing for Mac, Windows, and iOS.

Comment

Found a link to the updated version in bimmerfan08's rod bearing DIY.

http://d.pr/f/1jtRu
                      Can you up this anywhere? Link is dead...

Comment

I went to reinstall my rear caliper bracket and one of the bolts snapped under pressure before the 81ft lb torque was reached. After that experience, I figure I should replace all of these 16 year old bolts. Anyone know the specs for these bolts and where to source them? The BMW brand bolts retail for an absurd price ($15 per piece for the front!)

From RealOEM I found:

Fronts: M12 x 1.5, x 41. I can't for the life of me find 10.9 grade flanged bolts in M12 x 1.5. Anyone have a source for these?
                        Rears: M10 X 26.5. RealOEM is missing the thread pitch, does anyone know it?

Ideally I'd just go to the hardware store but given the whole being unable to leave my house thing right now I'm trying to source these online.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide
                        Did the same thing, and just ordered the correct bolts from FCP.

Comment

Originally posted by Arinb12 View Post

Can you up this anywhere? Link is dead...
                          If you go to the sticky thread someone uploaded the correct version to their google drive. Page 2 of the thread I believe.

Comment

Working...
                          X