No announcement yet.

Supersprint & SCZA 2.5" System w/ Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up buying a Dinan section 3 and skipped the Megan installation. I realized when I did the v-bands, I changed the spacing between tubes at the section 2-to-3 connection. So I only want to spend timing modifying one exhaust.

Rogue Engineering's exhaust hangers also arrived. Nicely made pieces.

So here's a question for the peanut gallery. I'm fairly certain I want to try an x-pipe configuration around where the H-pipe currently exists. After hearing the Dinan, all else being equal. The H-pipe would be eliminated. I'd like to see if I get a higher pitched rip like any generic writeup on x-pipe vs H-pipe will tell you. I understand there will/may be a torque penalty.

Do I...

#1 - do a little less work and put the convergence where the chassis brace w/ exhaust mount is? The bends of the dual pipes as they sit now are conducive to this spot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12481 Opt #1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	129083

or #2 - move the v-bands closer to the cats which creates the necessary space for the x-pipe to lay exactly where the h-pipe was?

Name:	image_12481 Opt #2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	129084
    Don't scrutinize my CAD skills too much as it relates to overlap and such.
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
      I have the SS dual Sec. 2 comming but am hesitant to install it as it sounds like (pun) it really does quite things down. So that order may need to be canceled or part sold down the river.

My stock Sec. 2 barely clears the diff OPF and RACP as is, with the heatshield removed,I think this is mostly due to the fitment issues with the SCZA.

I really do like the sound mine makes now and making it quieter does not interest me at this point. I am considering getting an RE El Diablo muffler for a bit more volume actually.

Unfortunately my quest for maximum NA hp gains on this car is over with so exhaust volume/tone takes priority for me. It is just too much $ for minimal gains so it's time to be a 16yo and tune up an n54 chassis, something I can afford and make quite fast.
      I have SSv1 and the SS sec 2 res with SCZA and it gave the car a much more refined tone, and quieter than my original setup (oe euro, stock s1 s2, scza). The original is my favorite sounding, super raw and banshee like at high RPM.

Now reading your post im afraid if I refresh my tired and broken hangers, my sec 2 will not fit anymore. I was surprised my SS sec 2 fit with the shield on. I now think that was a mere fluke.

jbfrancis3 I would venture to say that the second option might be best, as the merge point is exactly where SS put it, or close to it at least. Deviating from stock H bridge placements has not always been met with acceptable results, at least in terms of power/efficiency.
      2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
        jbfrancis3 I would venture to say that the second option might be best, as the merge point is exactly where SS put it, or close to it at least. Deviating from stock H bridge placements has not always been met with acceptable results, at least in terms of power/efficiency.
        Thanks, that’s what I remember reading. I also remember reading that moving away from the H-pipe has a noticeable impact to torque but I don’t remember to what extent or how it was phrased.

The Dinan exhaust arrived today. It’s actually 2.5” tubing. I either completely missed that or it wasn’t documented. Pleased about that
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Yes, the dinan is 2.5" and it has no bends greater than 90 degrees iirc. It's probably the best flowing muffler you could buy for this car.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Yes, the dinan is 2.5" and it has no bends greater than 90 degrees iirc. It's probably the best flowing muffler you could buy for this car.
            As usual you're on top of it. Yes, simply two 90 deg bends. Illustrated on pg 3: https://documents.holley.com/d660-4604_white_paper.pdf

Comment

Ya I owned one briefly. I didn't like the sound, in the end. The dummy tips didn't bother me much, knowing that it was functional. Good weight. I polished the tips.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

any sound clips?

Comment

Im curious what this pink'ish pad is, a heat shield add for the trans mounts? If so im interested, since the added heat from the exhaust can/may serve to dry out rubber bushings on the transmount. jbfrancis3
                  Attached Files
                  2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
                    Im curious what this pink'ish pad is, a heat shield add for the trans mounts? If so im interested, since the added heat from the exhaust can/may serve to dry out rubber bushings on the transmount. jbfrancis3
                    Yep, for the transmission as a whole including the mounts. The exhaust runs close and the heat radiation is intense. I figure why further thin my trans fluid which I need for dampening with the SMF!

Just a general heat shield meant for one pipe, but the mounts on either side happen match the spacing of the dual pipes on this application. Size 6"x1'

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                      I have the SS dual Sec. 2 comming but am hesitant to install it as it sounds like (pun) it really does quite things down. So that order may need to be canceled or part sold down the river.
                      I have Full SS V1, to SS S pipe no cats, to oversized Sec 2 with the resonator to an SS race exhaust. And I feel like the Section 2 really quiet down the system, even at high RPMs. I remember the SS race being much louder and from the video's i posted its not super loud. I was thinking of changing exhausts but I decided I wanted to keep it all SS.

Exhausts I had in mind:

Rogue El Diablo (louder?)
                      Scza (quieter for more airbox sound)

But ultimately i wanted a screamer in high RPMs and tame low (hard I know but maybe a fix in the midpipes is it.

Comment

The oversized pipes really do quiet everything down but increase sound at high rpm with specific Section 3's.

Example:

Old Setup: JVT Headers, Racetech Sec 1, SS Unres Sec 2, Mevius Ti

Loud. Extremely loud. Got me kicked off almost every track and autocross in New England lol. Loud on start, loud at idle, loud and raspy but quieted down after about 6k RPM.

New Setup: SSV1, SS Stepped Sec 1 No Cats, SS Oversized Sec 2 Unres, Mevius Ti

Stupid loud. Sounds like a Honda. I used to the mayor of rasp city but I just became the president. Horrid. A tad quieter at idle but after 2k RPM OMG it's embarrassing.

New New Setup: SSV1, SS Stepped Sec 1 with 2 Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators, SS Oversized Sec 2 Unres, Mevius Ti

Better. Quieter at start, idle and under 3k RPM. Get's louder with RPM's which is how it should be. Still screams up top but I didn't have to go through flashbacks of Honda rasp to get there.

Overall: These pipe diameters actually change things more than I had thought. Mainly because my car was already loud I could notice these differences immediately. Those running pretty tame Section 3's wouldn't notice it as much I'm sure.
                        2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                        2005 BMW ///M3
                        Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                        2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                        2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                        2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
                          any sound clips?
                          I haven't bothered. There's a substantial portion of effect lost from in-person to video/audio recording

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post

I have Full SS V1, to SS S pipe no cats, to oversized Sec 2 with the resonator to an SS race exhaust. And I feel like the Section 2 really quiet down the system, even at high RPMs. I remember the SS race being much louder and from the video's i posted its not super loud. I was thinking of changing exhausts but I decided I wanted to keep it all SS.

Exhausts I had in mind:

Rogue El Diablo (louder?)
                          Scza (quieter for more airbox sound)

But ultimately i wanted a screamer in high RPMs and tame low (hard I know but maybe a fix in the midpipes is it.
                          Sort of what I'm after. Not sure how attainable it is. SCZA is certainly quieter. I'm told it can be heard when car is approaching but from driver's seat, its quite tame.

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                          The oversized pipes really do quiet everything down but increase sound at high rpm with specific Section 3's.

Example:

Old Setup: JVT Headers, Racetech Sec 1, SS Unres Sec 2, Mevius Ti

Loud. Extremely loud. Got me kicked off almost every track and autocross in New England lol. Loud on start, loud at idle, loud and raspy but quieted down after about 6k RPM.

New Setup: SSV1, SS Stepped Sec 1 No Cats, SS Oversized Sec 2 Unres, Mevius Ti

Stupid loud. Sounds like a Honda. I used to the mayor of rasp city but I just became the president. Horrid. A tad quieter at idle but after 2k RPM OMG it's embarrassing.

New New Setup: SSV1, SS Stepped Sec 1 with 2 Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonators, SS Oversized Sec 2 Unres, Mevius Ti

Better. Quieter at start, idle and under 3k RPM. Get's louder with RPM's which is how it should be. Still screams up top but I didn't have to go through flashbacks of Honda rasp to get there.

Overall: These pipe diameters actually change things more than I had thought. Mainly because my car was already loud I could notice these differences immediately. Those running pretty tame Section 3's wouldn't notice it as much I'm sure.
                          That's a pretty sporty section 3 you run but those are also some serious resonators. Where did you mount them to fit - I assume they are staggered?

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                            That's a pretty sporty section 3 you run but those are also some serious resonators. Where did you mount them to fit - I assume they are staggered?
                            They're mounted at the same location as most resonated Sec 1's. Right next to each other. Surprisingly there was enough room.

And they killed off about 80% of the rasp which was the most important part.

This car without rasp sounds weird.
                            2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Next iteration is complete with the Dinan section 3. It hangs from Rogue Engineering's exhaust mounts. I had to reduce the width of the Dinan mounts by 1/4" (by taking in the passenger-side single mount) to make everything fit nicely. This also set the exhaust dead-center of the CSL valence which was nice.

Early thoughts after one short drive is its a bit boomy down low. In the middle range and top end, its much more lively than the SZCA representing a big step in the right direction. Time will tell on tolerance for low-end characteristics.

With the entire system fairly rigidly mounted, I expected some undesired effect knowing the system lengthens when hot. It did not disappointed. No rattling but some odd vibration/resonance which I think is caused by the inner bush sleeve of the Rogue mounts pushing so hard that it squeezes out the rubber and contacts the bushing housing. Very noticeable and I don't want to continue stressing everything, particularly the headers.

So next up, I'll be installing some double slip joints somewhere in the system (not sure where). Flex joints would work but need more space which is something I don't have. Flex bellows aren't suitable for the application.

Name:	IMG_6071.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	129976

Name:	IMG_6072.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	129973

Name:	IMG_6074.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	129974

Name:	IMG_6075.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	129975
                              Attached Files

Comment

The Dinan exhaust also has to break in as well from what I've heard. So give it some time and definitely romp on it when you can!
                                2005 BMW ///M3

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X