Supersprint & SCZA 2.5" System w/ Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Sort of what I'm after. Not sure how attainable it is. SCZA is certainly quieter. I'm told it can be heard when car is approaching but from driver's seat, its quite tame.
    I had this with the SS Sport, ti was perfect for when I was putting around town but everyone else outside the car told me how quiet it was.

Maybe with an unresonated section 2 oversized it would help.

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.9 KB ID:	129973

No issues with the exhaust position after it warms up?

Comment

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post

I had this with the SS Sport, ti was perfect for when I was putting around town but everyone else outside the car told me how quiet it was.

How do you find the NVH with the RE Muffler mounts? Initially I had only one on the passenger's side so my Sec. 2 wouldn't bang into the RACP but when I put all 3 RE mounts on I really noticed the NVH penalty, mainly just vibration. I would like to put them back on with some type of rubber between the car/mount.

NVH wasn't terrible I guess but the muffler was so rigid with those mounts I was worried that maybe it was almost too stiff and would not let the entire exhaust system up to the headers move back/forth as it should maybe causing issues. Likely not the case.

I reluctantly canceled my order for the oversized Sec. 2 due to all the talk of how quite it was, not to mention my stock sec. 2 in combination w/ SCZA barely fits around the RACP/Diff OPF so I'm pretty sure the SS pipes would have made contact.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

How do you find the NVH with the RE Muffler mounts? Initially I had only one on the passenger's side so my Sec. 2 wouldn't bang into the RACP but when I put all 3 RE mounts on I really noticed the NVH penalty, mainly just vibration. I would like to put them back on with some type of rubber between the car/mount.

NVH wasn't terrible I guess but the muffler was so rigid with those mounts I was worried that maybe it was almost too stiff and would not let the entire exhaust system up to the headers move back/forth as it should maybe causing issues. Likely not the case.

I reluctantly canceled my order for the oversized Sec. 2 due to all the talk of how quite it was, not to mention my stock sec. 2 in combination w/ SCZA barely fits around the RACP/Diff OPF so I'm pretty sure the SS pipes would have made contact.
        I dont have those mounts, i was deliberating them or at least one. I currently have the OEM muffler mounts with the insert so they dont break practically making them solid with some flex to it. No issues with NVH but there is a slight rattle at warm up I am trying to find. so maybe thats it? HA I've learned to live with it, it disappears.

Comment

I dont have those mounts, i was deliberating them or at least one. I currently have the OEM muffler mounts with the insert so they dont break practically making them solid with some flex to it. No issues with NVH but there is a slight rattle at warm up I am trying to find. so maybe thats it? HA I've learned to live with it, it disappears.
          Whoops, quoted the wrong person! Meant that at jbfrancis3.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

This is why I wouldn't personally do this mod, there's a reason why these are rubber.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I did run it unresonated and it seemed like a good idea but it really didn't liven it up in a positive way.

I suspect there is NVH caused by the whole system being like a bow under tension when hot. It overcomes the small rubber bushings, I think. The RE mounts seem too stiff without any other give in the system (not exactly surprising). Now, if they system can flex in another way, I'm betting the mounts do not add NVH on their own.

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

This is why I wouldn't personally do this mod, there's a reason why these are rubber.
              Pick your poison. New HKS mounts deteriorated in a year / year and a half on me. Some noted it was due to not running the stainless brackets - I've looked it more and reject that notion. However, I'm inclined to believe that my running v-bands adds to mount stress because there is absolutely zero flex in those joints, so it really pushes the section 3 around.

These are mostly self-inflicted problems (v-bands, RE mounts) but I'm going to keep playing with it.
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

The fckery continues. I added double slip joints where the rear axle is (open, straight location). I ran it a few times and sure enough, no more NVH.

Looks like the system uses about 3/8" of the slip for expansion, based on the marks from the copper antiseize I added some helper springs to facilitate the slip action and ensure it doesn't want to bow down over time. Everything is well-supported though.

I do like the sound of this muffler, it has a more a kick than previous SCZA.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6086.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	132417

Name:	IMG_6087.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	132418

Name:	IMG_6088.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	132419
                Attached Files
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Working...
                X