TCKline Spring Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TCKline Spring Rates

Can someone that has successfully used TCKline coil-overs for HPDE's tell me the springs that worked well for you? I am currently running his recommended 400/500 and it feels a bit soft in the turns, but I'm used to torsion bars and it's a totally different feel on a lighter car, so it could just be that I need to get used to it.

is it leaning excessively? I'd research what flat ride is and go from there. There is a youtube video explaining this: http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM..._M3_Online.htm

Comment

What tires are you on? Have you played with the Koni shock settings at all? Are you just leaning a lot or riding the bump stops all the way around corners?
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

It's just a totally different feel then what I am used to in the corners, yes, it feels soft, leaning, not hitting the Bump Stops, but again, that is just feel in a new car. I have a good friend that tracked a E36 M3, and he was running 500/600, I am 400/500. I was really just curious as to if anyone here is running TCKline, and if so what spring rates?

It very well just could be me, and the need to get used to the car, other than going to a square setup to better balance the car for next event, I am not going to rush out and change anything this year, I am just going to learn the car. But for reference, I wanted to know what spring rates others are using with TCKline.

Comment

I'm on TCKline double adjustable. Car came with 450 F 500 R springs. I'm a newbie and stil definitely learning the car, I've ordered a new set of springs at 400 F and 600 R with the advice of some owners here and as well in part because the car was driven in Toronto winter and the springs are rusted badly and there are bearing failures in the front. I may have to rebuild the coil overs as well I hope not.

I have not taken the car to autocross or the track to really push my limits, running through the large maintenance items now and will be ready close to end of season I hope.
          2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
            I'm on TCKline double adjustable. Car came with 450 F 500 R springs. I'm a newbie and stil definitely learning the car, I've ordered a new set of springs at 400 F and 600 R with the advice of some owners here and as well in part because the car was driven in Toronto winter and the springs are rusted badly and there are bearing failures in the front. I may have to rebuild the coil overs as well I hope not.

I have not taken the car to autocross or the track to really push my limits, running through the large maintenance items now and will be ready close to end of season I hope.
            Thanks, my gut was telling me 600-650 on the rear. But I'm going to continue to drive it as is to get a better feel, and prob start making changes (if I keep the car) next year.

Comment

Also have TC Kline single adjustable that I installed on my car recently with 400lb/ 500lb springs. I'm a newbie as well and need to learn driving the car properly. Coming from stock suspension, the major difference I noticed so far was the car felt 'less lazy' when entering a corner. Maybe less body roll as well? but that could be because of the stiffer 400lb springs compared to front stock springs being at ~148lbs, Hard to really push the car on public roads though.

Comment

I have DA's and I would rebuild them and add some swaybars.

I did swap out the beehive linear springs for some Hyperco ones but I went stiffer. I'm running 500F/550R and with some thick sways I have no body roll at all. Like zero.
                2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 BMW ///M3
                ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
                2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

600/700 is as high as you can go on the valving, and you'll need the compression and rebound set high to control them. TC likes the car setup softly.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
                    600/700 is as high as you can go on the valving, and you'll need the compression and rebound set high to control them. TC likes the car setup softly.
                    why is this? is 400/600 decent?

Do zcps have diff sways than non zcps? I guess that will be a mod for later on. I recently changed the whole tire setup to EC7r 9.5 et35 and 265 Hankook RS4s. Definitely feel a bit of roll on the sidewalls, and a bit more body roll. Again not the most experienced.
                    Last edited by CrisSilberGrau; 07-15-2020, 07:41 AM.
                    2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

why is this? is 400/600 decent?

Do zcps have diff sways than non zcps? I guess that will be a mod for later on. I recently changed the whole tire setup to EC7r 9.5 et35 and 265 Hankook RS4s. Definitely feel a bit of roll on the sidewalls, and a bit more body roll. Again not the most experienced.
                      Shocks get valved to a spring rate range. If you need to go higher you'll need to get them revalved to handle the higher rate. 400/600 is not a spring rate I've seen used, I would call TC and check with him on what the correct springs are for your application.

Comment

You need to go off of tire wear and the balance of the car on track. Guessing at spring rates is not the correct way to setup a car.

People track stock suspension and set good times, go out there, have some fun, and monitor how your tires are wearing and what the car is doing

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by High.miles.big.smiles View Post
                          You need to go off of tire wear and the balance of the car on track. Guessing at spring rates is not the correct way to setup a car.

People track stock suspension and set good times, go out there, have some fun, and monitor how your tires are wearing and what the car is doing

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
                          Yep, I am going square for balance, then I may get the shocks re-valved for 500/600 to compare the feel of the 400/500. Overall, car feels a bit soft, not a bad thing, just may not be a good feel for me. I'm getting a bit of understeer coming out of the corners, but that was with stock 225/255/19. NP with US going into turns as I could plant the front for turn in. I've since changed to 245/275/19 for street, and going square 265/18 for track. I'll definitely spend some time with the car on square before jumping spring rates. Fronts were torn up due to understeer, more so with front left, with a very significant pull to left on the drive home. Rears were fine. I'll get it figured out what works for me with some time. Still much easier to drive than what I am used to. It's a great car.

I was just really curious as to what spring rates others were successfully tracking with TCK.

Comment

Tire wear is because you aren't running enough camber.

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
                            I was just really curious as to what spring rates others were successfully tracking with TCK.
                            Spring rates are application specific. What works on my non-aero track car running slicks will not work on your street car, and it won't work on an aero racecar.
                            Last edited by CrookedCommie; 07-16-2020, 05:21 AM.

Comment

I used to track with 500/600 on the TCKs. These days I'm liking a pretty significantly different setup-- currently ~337 front, 664 rear.

No suspension is going to make it feel like a 2300 lb, rear engine, torsion bar car-- it's just a completely different thing. Trying to make it feel like that is, IMO, a lost cause-- make it good in the context of being a 3XXX lb, front engine rwd car.

Spring rates are going to depend a lot on car weight, weight distro, and sways.

The FCM spreadsheet is amazing for getting the car setup nicely, whether you're using flat ride or not:
                              Preface I have noticed that many cars I see are set up in a way that's at least far from optimal, and often worse than stock. Issues include, but are not limited to... -wonky front/rear stagger -insufficient bump or droop travel -ride height in ranges that compromise suspension geometry -alignments that compromise handling

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X