Break-in Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break-in Procedure

Just rebuilt a motor with 111,xxx miles. Did a head gasket and rod bearings, as well as a short list of other wear and tear items. BMW suggests not exceeding 5,500 RPM or 105MPH for 1,200 miles. Other argue that the rod bearings don't require a break-in, especially seen on unregistered track cars.

What have you guys done in the past? A 1,200 mile break-in procedure in the middle of summer is going to be a tough one!

Hasn't this been debated enough in the other threads from which you are quoting data points, or wouldn't it make sense to keep that dialog going? Why fragment?
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Might not be necessary, but I would personally do it (and did when I changed my rod bearings) for the peace of mind. I wouldn't want to have to tear down the engine again just because I wasn't patient.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I would follow BMW's recommended break in.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

It's really up to your confidence on the rebuild. Did you replace the piston/rings/cams/followers? Those are the main areas requiring good break in when new.

Comment

Just do the break-in procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
              It's really up to your confidence on the rebuild. Did you replace the piston/rings/cams/followers? Those are the main areas requiring good break in when new.
              Bmw also says to do the break in procedure as part of the rod bearing replacement SIB

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
                BMW suggests not exceeding 5,500 RPM or 105MPH for 1,200 miles.
                You forgot no WOT as well...

Comment

If anything now is the perfect time to log in the break in miles since traffic is light due to the pandemic. Drive about 250 highway miles per day every other day and you'll hit the 1,200 mark pretty quickly.

Comment

I followed the break-in procedures as well...certainly doesn't hurt and for peace of mind

Comment

Currently in the break in period process from my ROD bearing install.

One point of view was track only cars that go from shop to track . . . No break in period

Mine is not a track car ( hopefully it will see a day or two ) . . . I the Nick_P said it best . . . "certainly doesn't hurt and for peace of mind"

Comment

Originally posted by 2004LSB View Post
                        If anything now is the perfect time to log in the break in miles since traffic is light due to the pandemic. Drive about 250 highway miles per day every other day and you'll hit the 1,200 mark pretty quickly.
                        Thats not the break-in procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

Thats not the break-in procedure.
                          Concur. Should be driven in conditions more indicative of load variance on the motor...other than WOT that is.

Comment

once the oil is hot drive it like you stole it

Comment

Rod bearings have wear patterns. I believe it says dont exceed like 50% or 60% load along with the other stuff. I don't really think it matters about load variation, just that a certain amount isn't exceeded. Most of my break in miles were highway miles. Our engines are known to have tighter clearances so it'd be better to heed the warning. BMWs in general have tight clearances so do follow the TSB. It's not just talking about engines break in, it specifically refers to bearings needing 1200 miles.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                              X