X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4S

Comment

Originally posted by SG/IRM3 View Post
      After several years running RE-71Rs I switched to the Yokohama A052 this season for autocross and track. I also run them on the street between events but the car is not a DD. Compared to the RE-71R lateral grip is similar but wouldn't say better necessarily, longitudinal grip is definitely better and they are much more street friendly in terms of impact harshness and noise. Due to the softer sidewall they aren't as responsive as the RE-71R so not quite as good in transitions but excellent steady state grip. I also run about 2 psi higher pressure than with the Bridgestones and wear has been fine. I haven't done any track events yet but I've been told they don't get greasy like the RE-71s after a few laps. They also need a lot of camber or will wear the outside edges much faster, I've heard reports of only getting about thirty autocross runs on heavy, front camber limited cars like the M3. I wouldn't recommend either for a DD with the Michelin and Conti being better choices for street driving.
      What cold tire pressures do you recommend running on the Yoko’s for a HPDE? Just had a set mounted and reading the feedback about softer sidewalls, I’m thinking 36psi to start with and hopefully go down from there.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
        Has anyone tried General GMAX RS?
        I have them on my ZCP. Good tire - pretty comfortable and excellent dry grip. I would have never even looked at them, but I had previous model of the tire on my car when I bought it, and when I took it to the dealer to re-finish the wheels, they messed up one tire. So they bought me a set of new tires - had to be the same brand. Since old ones were discontinued they got these GMAX RSs, and they are great. Especially for a free tire
        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
          Has anyone tried General GMAX RS?
          I just put a set of 265/35/18 square on my car a few days ago. For the money, they're very impressive. The comfort and low road noise mixed with excellent grip and braking makes for one of the most ideal, balanced street tires I've ever encountered. They're punching way above their weight class/price bracket, ​that's for sure. They run $500-600ish a set which is extremely affordable for a daily driver tire.
          Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 07-22-2020, 02:34 AM.
          Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

I just put a set of 265/35/18 square on my car a few days ago. For the money, they're very impressive. The comfort and low road noise mixed with excellent grip and braking makes for one of the most ideal, balanced street tires I've ever encountered. They're punching way above their weight class/price bracket, ​that's for sure. They run $500-600ish a set which is extremely affordable for a daily driver tire.
            Thanks for your feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerbimmer View Post

What cold tire pressures do you recommend running on the Yoko’s for a HPDE? Just had a set mounted and reading the feedback about softer sidewalls, I’m thinking 36psi to start with and hopefully go down from there.
              I haven't done a track event with them yet but will this fall. I plan to start out at 31 psi with the target being about 38 psi hot. That's just based on anecdotal inputs I've seen in various places. I usually found about 36 psi hot to work for the RE-71s so thought I'd try 2 psi higher for the Yoks since that's the difference I 've found to work for autocross. I should clarify that I don't run pressures that high for autox, typically 33f/31r hot for autox.
              Last edited by SG/IRM3; 07-22-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Michelin SS, but Firehawks are def awesome for the price! run them on my other whips.

Comment

I have RS4s on my HPDE car and they hold up to the heat well and wear nicely at 29-30psi cold with -3.2* front camber. Car's a little under 3000lbs and brakes with PFC08s in 996 calipers.

Tires aren't great in the rain, but they seem to wear extremely well. With only a few event weekends last year and maybe a few this year depending on how clubs get their acts back together, they'll probably last me another couple years. That's unfortunate because I'd really like to move up to some NT01s.

Comment

Current - square 265/35r18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
                    Previous - square 265/35r18 Bridgestone RE71r

I was running RE71rs for the last year before switching to the Cup 2s a couple weeks ago. Impressions and pros / cons for each listed below

Pilot Sport Cup 2

Impressions / Feel - These really are a do it all tire, quiet on the street (minimal tire noise at speed) yet have great grip on track. For street use, I noticed almost no difference in comfort and noise between the Cup 2s and the Pilot Super Sports. On track, the sidewalls are on the softer side, so there is a bit of a "numbness" at the limit - almost like the tires are greasy even when they are not. I can feel the car lean on the sidewall a bit before gripping and taking the line.

Ultimately these tires are like the "GT4" of track tires - comfortable enough to drive on semi-daily, yet still stout enough to take a beating on track. Pros
                    Quiet on the street
                    High heat resistance on track
                    Great lateral grip

Cons
                    Softer sidewall -> numbness at the limit

RE71R
                    Impressions / Feel - These can be used all year round in California and still perform on track as well. These do not have the same street manners as the Michelins, but they are reasonable enough for an HPDE car. Excellent grip both in the dry and wet, and the stiff sidewalls feel great at the limit - lot's of communication from the tire and keeps the steering feel "responsive". When they are hot, you will get a duck tape or velcro unsticking noise when you drive over painted asphalt (eg curbs on track).

These are more like the "GT3/GT3 RS" of track tires, they still work on the street but you are giving up some ride quality / noise for better performance on track.

Pros
                    Excellent grip in the dry / wet
                    Responsiveness to inputs

Cons
                    Road noise as the tires age / heat cycle
                    wear (to be expected with this kind of tire, but I got 10K and 5 HPDES out of a set)

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post
                      I have RS4s on my HPDE car and they hold up to the heat well and wear nicely at 29-30psi cold with -3.2* front camber. Car's a little under 3000lbs and brakes with PFC08s in 996 calipers.

Tires aren't great in the rain, but they seem to wear extremely well. With only a few event weekends last year and maybe a few this year depending on how clubs get their acts back together, they'll probably last me another couple years. That's unfortunate because I'd really like to move up to some NT01s.
                      So you dont seem to like the rs4 too much? What did you run before them?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalgam View Post
                        RE71R
                        A lot of guys complain about these tires getting hot/greasy after a few laps and wearing out super quickly. They seem to be more suited for autox and time attack formats where grip is on tap right away and you only need to get peak performance out of them for a few laps max.

Did you feel like they get to that duct tape/velcro sound a bit quicker than other tires?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

PS4
                          RT615K
                          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

RS4s last so long you get bored and want to try something else, but can't justify tossing good tires.
                            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                              RS4s last so long you get bored and want to try something else, but can't justify tossing good tires.
                              Lol, as a student on a budget this is great to hear

Comment

RE71r
                                all day everyday
                                until they wear out going for R888R next

Comment

Working...
                                X