No announcement yet.

Tires. What is every one running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ This matches what I've heard about the A052s. IMO it's why they never caught on in popularity.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by tnord View Post

how's the noise/wear on them?
      From a noise level they're great actually, you can't hear them at all. I can't really speak about wear though since I only bought them in March. I have about 1,000-2,000 miles on them on the street with 3 track days, so far they have been holding up well. In heavy rain they can get sketchy though

Comment

Originally posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
        I really liked the Bridgestone RE-11. Good street tire, but not as comfy as the comparable Michelin, but stiffer sidewalls and better on track. It was a good compromise for me to have a tire I could drive to/on/from the track without having two sets of wheels.

There really is not a better summer street tire than the PS4S. I was in a pinch where I had a tire blow out and had to have my car towed to the nearest tire place. All they had was Michelin A/S 3+... so I had to go with those. I had limited experience and no real HARD driving on them, but they were a really great street tire. Quiet, comfy, good grip, great rain grip, were wearing really well. Didn't tramline nearly as bad as the RE11 did. Just a good tire. Not quite as grippy as the Ultra high performance summer category, but they had plenty of grip. They are probably pretty good for a geographic area that doesn't see much snow, but sees cooler weather and maybe a dusting or two and doesn't want to switch from PS4S to dedicated snow tires every year. They also wear better than the UHP tires.
        The AS3’s are a fantastic tire. That is what we put on the RS for 3 season weather up in CO and would definitely suggest them for anyone who sees mild winters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post

The AS3’s are a fantastic tire. That is what we put on the RS for 3 season weather up in CO and would definitely suggest them for anyone who sees mild winters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          I run AS3s on our diesel X5 with the sport package (275f 315r 20") and they've been wonderful. More grip than you'd expect, quiet, and can deal with mild winters. We have about 15k miles or so on them and they're doing fine - I think I can easily get 30k on them. I like them better than the Continential DWS I had on before (gone through 3 sets) - which are okay, last nearly 40k miles which is nice, but meh in almost every other way. I've had three sets of DWS because there wasn't much option - and I refuse to pay $1800 for a set of the OE Dunlops which came on it new which lasted 11k miles! I'm happy I can get the AS3s in the correct size for the X5 now.
          E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

I thought the DWS was awful. I keep putting the Pirelli runflats on the wife's X5 M sport that came in the same sizes as your diesel. We have dedicated snows also or I'd consider the AS3.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

I run AS3s on our diesel X5 with the sport package (275f 315r 20") and they've been wonderful. More grip than you'd expect, quiet, and can deal with mild winters. We have about 15k miles or so on them and they're doing fine - I think I can easily get 30k on them. I like them better than the Continential DWS I had on before (gone through 3 sets) - which are okay, last nearly 40k miles which is nice, but meh in almost every other way. I've had three sets of DWS because there wasn't much option - and I refuse to pay $1800 for a set of the OE Dunlops which came on it new which lasted 11k miles! I'm happy I can get the AS3s in the correct size for the X5 now.
              Great to hear. I just had the same sizes put on this week but in the AS4 model which is now available.
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I thought the DWS was awful. I keep putting the Pirelli runflats on the wife's X5 M sport that came in the same sizes as your diesel. We have dedicated snows also or I'd consider the AS3.
                My dad has those Pirelli's on his X5 and he really likes them. He hated the DWS it had on before, mushy sidewalls and meh performance.

I took our X5 out on Big Willow at Willow Springs race park with the DWSs for grins since I broke my race car and still had track time at the end of the day. After two laps the DWS's started to get really greasy. Pulled in after 3 laps and the tread was already starting to melt...they just can't deal with the heat and weight of the X5.

You can get Pilot Sport 4S in 20s for the X5...perhaps that might work better for you since you have a dedicated snow tire.

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Great to hear. I just had the same sizes put on this week but in the AS4 model which is now available.
                Oh wow, yeah those are new. I think they're called "Pilot Sport All Season 4" in tirerack yeah? $1133 shipped. Not bad at all. I will for sure get a set once my AS3's are won out. I have the Pilot Sport A/3 3 N-Spec (for a Porsche Panamera) on it now.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

My dad has those Pirelli's on his X5 and he really likes them. He hated the DWS it had on before, mushy sidewalls and meh performance.

I took our X5 out on Big Willow at Willow Springs race park with the DWSs for grins since I broke my race car and still had track time at the end of the day. After two laps the DWS's started to get really greasy. Pulled in after 3 laps and the tread was already starting to melt...they just can't deal with the heat and weight of the X5.

You can get Pilot Sport 4S in 20s for the X5...perhaps that might work better for you since you have a dedicated snow tire.
                  We went through two sets of DWS on the Mazda 3 we had prior to the X5. they didn't last all that long and were loud as hell after about 5k miles. do not buy them. I opted to keep the runflats on the wife's car for my own personal convenience. it's our road trip car too, having a flat on a 315/35/20 in the middle of Iowa, western Kansas, or Colorado is not something I want to have to deal with.

Comment

We went through two sets of DWS on the Mazda 3 we had prior to the X5. they didn't last all that long and were loud as hell after about 5k miles. do not buy them. I opted to keep the runflats on the wife's car for my own personal convenience. it's our road trip car too, having a flat on a 315/35/20 in the middle of Iowa, western Kansas, or Colorado is not something I want to have to deal with.
                    Don't blame you there!

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                      I thought we were way past v12s, silicone elbows, and smoked leds .

Just head over to e46fanatics. Let this forum be for us robots who mindlessly think that OE plus high quality mods is "the way."
                      Brutal. 😂😂😂
                      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Data point on rs pro. Front right tire pictured below after morning session and then after few more sessions in the afternoon. 3rd track day. Other 3 tires looked fine without any bubbling/delamination, although right rear barely started blistering on the outside after the last session. Aimed to run them 32-34 hot.

Not sure if bad batch. Heard rr did this, didnt hear about rs pro. Size is 255 35 18, thread width wise about as wide as 265 ps4s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X