Headlights lens: other options besides pricey OEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights lens: other options besides pricey OEM

googling just leads to old threads and usually they refer to khoalty which is out of business. is there an updated brand or suggested brand of headlight lens. mine are pretty shot so i want to replace them.

the brands i have found are:

URO
    Bosch
    Magnetii Marelli
    Automotive Lighting

from what i understand, the lens are identical whether halogen or Xenon (correct me if i'm wrong). fwiw, i have an '06 running an HID retrofit from the retrofit source.

URO seems to be the cheapest @ ~$45 from autohausaz but want to be sure fitment and quality is spot on.

appreciate any insight.
    '06 Carbon Black
    Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/bmw-3...eadlights.html

I have had very good experiences with this kit

Comment

I've had the uro parts on my car for about two years. No fitment issues, but the included gaskets were clearly not made for the headlights. They were just a long strip that I had to cut down to size. However, no water has gotten in, even with the car driven in the snow.

FCP says OE is magneti marelli, so I would just get those (although it looks like they don't include the gasket).
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Bumping this old thread to see if we can find what the OEM headlight lens actually is.

ECS tuning showing automotive light is OEM: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-automoti...3128382192~al/

Can anyone confirm? My current lenses say Bosch on them.

Comment

I think we need to find other parts sellers; I'm currently working on a purchase with two, overseas. Prices are much better than our choices here in America. I'll post up once I have a successful transaction.

Comment

The ones on Ebay are really good, only about $40-50.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Can someone confirm the lenses with the lines are for xenons?

Comment

Andy2424 - waking up to ask - good fitment of the new projectors? And no wire splicing needed? TIA.
                Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, ZKW-R lenses. MRegistry listing here

Comment

As far as halogen vs xenon lens go I believe they are different.
                  Im pretty sure the reason there are multiple part numbers is due to the lens being made of different grades of material because halogen bulbs give off way more heat then the xenon bulbs do.

Comment

Replaced my lenses last year with ebay lenses just to try them out since its a much lower price. They are now yellowing, will be replacing them with OEM lenses soon.

Comment

At what point is everyone replacing lenses? As in, how bad (yellow, pitted, etc.) are they when replacing? Mine are original, have some spotting and I think RHS lease has some moisture in it. However, overall not terrible but I'm sure if I held up fresh lenses to them, I'd be able to see how great new ones would look. With prices continuously going up, I'm thinking of doing mine. On the other hand,, with prices going up, ...maybe mine are good enough. What to do.

Comment

I ran eBay ones on my old zhp sedan and they looked great after 3 years of an outside parked car. Obviously the coupe ones are different so ymmv.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
                          At what point is everyone replacing lenses? As in, how bad (yellow, pitted, etc.) are they when replacing? Mine are original, have some spotting and I think RHS lease has some moisture in it. However, overall not terrible but I'm sure if I held up fresh lenses to them, I'd be able to see how great new ones would look. With prices continuously going up, I'm thinking of doing mine. On the other hand,, with prices going up, ...maybe mine are good enough. What to do.
                          I'm ok with some pitting. It's going to happen if you actually drive the car. I'd replace them once they start yellowing, heavily pitted or cracked. Moisture tends to be caused by the seal or one of the lens guide tabs gets caught between the lens and the housing when reinstalling the lens.

OEM is only 60-70 bucks - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...pe-63128382192

They say non-Xenon, but RealOEM shows the same lens part number for both halogen and Xenon.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

I'm ok with some pitting. It's going to happen if you actually drive the car. I'd replace them once they start yellowing, heavily pitted or cracked. Moisture tends to be caused by the seal or one of the lens guide tabs gets caught between the lens and the housing when reinstalling the lens.

OEM is only 60-70 bucks - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...pe-63128382192

They say non-Xenon, but RealOEM shows the same lens part number for both halogen and Xenon.
                            When I enter my VIN, I see -565/566 as the lenses for "vehicles with xenon" under the "single components for headlight" group. Clicking into "Single parts, xenon headlight" group is contradictory in that it shows the -191/192 numbers you list. Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

When I enter my VIN, I see -565/566 as the lenses for "vehicles with xenon" under the "single components for headlight" group. Clicking into "Single parts, xenon headlight" group is contradictory in that it shows the -191/192 numbers you list. Strange.
                              The CSL shows both 191/192 for both those categories.

On ECStuning, the 565 and 191 lenses look identical with the 3 lines going across the lens.
                              Last edited by Slideways; 11-24-2023, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X