Messed up my steering after coupler install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messed up my steering after coupler install

I followed a YouTube Dyi video to install a new steering coupler. Unfortunately he didn’t lock the steering so neither did I. As a result my steering is off a few degrees. How do I fix this? Do I need to take to shop to get a full new alignment ?

three options - redo the coupler install, pull the steering wheel and move it over a spline or two, or get an alignment. If you're off by enough and continue to drive the car you will probably get a steering angle sensor implausibility code. You'll need to recalibrate the SAS to get rid of it.
    [AW / Cinnamon / 6MT] /// [build journal]

Comment

Any idea if the steering wheel spline matches the width of the spline on the coupler? It seems easier to Tackle the steering wheel as oppose to getting back under the car but I want it to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty088 View Post
        Any idea if the steering wheel spline matches the width of the spline on the coupler? It seems easier to Tackle the steering wheel as oppose to getting back under the car but I want it to be right.
        I doubt it does. It is very fine on the steering wheel.
        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

I doubt it does. It is very fine on the steering wheel.
          agreed, I'm not 100% certain but it looks much finer on the steering wheel. There is an indexing tab on the wheel but you should have a couple of splines of play either way.
          [AW / Cinnamon / 6MT] /// [build journal]

Comment

I fixed this. The tab is plastic. It will bend when u slide the coupler on. Make sure it’s straight.

would have been a better design if Bmw made this metal.

Comment

Working...
            X