MK60 Retrofit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK60 Retrofit?

With shelter in place, I've had much more time to think about doing things to my car and have lately gotten curious about an MK60 retrofit. Found this thread on M3cutters that outlines pretty much everything that's necessary for this: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...module.147482/

The only thing I'm concerned about is the brake lines. I remember reading somewhere that BMW changed the location of the pump because it required a specific brake line length to function correctly. Is this true? If so, I was thinking that cutting the MK20 lines by the master cylinder and running new ones from there to the MK60 would be the best way to do this. Anyone see an issue with this method?
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

If you're going through the trouble I would run new brake lines. But that's just me.

What are you trying to gain going with MK60? When we had a car with MK20 the cost of the retrofit didnt seem worth it. Since most of the track junkies (both mk20 and mk60) run with it disabled. Can be argued the ABS on mk60 is better tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My only worry would be the so called "ice mode" ABS with BBK and slicks that some people say they experience.
      2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
      2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
      2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

For now I'm just trying to figure out just how difficult this swap would be. If it's simple enough then it would be more of a mod in preparation for a BBK and different steering rack down the line.

The reason why I ask about the brake lines is because running completely new lines requires dropping the fuel tank (subframe too?), which is significantly more involved than swapping things out in the engine bay, cutting the old brake lines, and running a small amount of new tubing to the MK60. Plus, I would need to bend the new brake lines, which leaves much more room for error (read: incorrect brake line length, since that's what seems to be important) than tapping into the existing lines.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Are you going to track your car?

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunG View Post
            Are you going to track your car?
            Yes, that's the plan. My car has been slowly transitioning from daily driver to fun-only car, but I haven't had a chance to take it to the track yet.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yes, that's the plan. My car has been slowly transitioning from daily driver to fun-only car, but I haven't had a chance to take it to the track yet.
              FWIW I don't think the brake like piping needs to be a certain length. As long as there is no air in the system should be fine.

There used to be a guy on the old forum selling full kits to do the swap including harness. You'll need new MC, reservoir, wheel speed sensors at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                FWIW I don't think the brake like piping needs to be a certain length. As long as there is no air in the system should be fine.
                Yeah that's what I thought. Well, I think I need to do a bit more research and visit a couple junkyards. Will update this thread if I ever go through with the swap.

Comment

The parts are pretty cheap even if you buy them piecemeal on eBay. I ran new hard lines for my swap since I had the chassis stripped, but it would not have been possible with the gas tank in or fun with the subframe still mounted. If you're bending your own, you really need the space to guess and check the bends and to test fit your line into the factory hangers and what not. Can't comment on tapping into the stock rear lines and the impact of line length, but I bet it's possible. Curious to hear from anyone who has done so.

Comment

Working...
                  X