Sudden Oil Temp Spike at Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden Oil Temp Spike at Idle

It was about 95 degrees in VA and I had just driven 8 miles with the last few around 40 MPH. I pulled into a gas station parking lot and was idling for maybe 2-3 minutes before turning off the engine. I hadn't noticed high oil temps at that time. I fired the car back up about 5 minutes after turning it off and immediately noticed the oil temp needle sitting at the dot between 210 and 300. If the gauge is accurate I'd guess 250'ish F. Water temp remained normal according to the gauge.

I pulled onto the highway and the oil temp slowly dropped to sub-210'ish after a minute.

This is the first time I'd seen that. Where would you start?

Originally posted by Nihilation View Post
    It was about 95 degrees in VA and I had just driven 8 miles with the last few around 40 MPH. I pulled into a gas station parking lot and was idling for maybe 2-3 minutes before turning off the engine. I hadn't noticed high oil temps at that time. I fired the car back up about 5 minutes after turning it off and immediately noticed the oil temp needle sitting at the dot between 210 and 300. If the gauge is accurate I'd guess 250'ish F. Water temp remained normal according to the gauge.

I pulled onto the highway and the oil temp slowly dropped to sub-210'ish after a minute.

This is the first time I'd seen that. Where would you start?
    No where. It sounds like it heat soaked and cooled back down. Check oil level and carry on.

Comment

Normal. Heat soaked
      06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Clean your oil cooler and radiators and hopefully it will be better. It sounds like it was heat soaked. Imagine over here in Bahrain with 115-125f high humid temps daily.

Comment

It been 95° and quite humid here lately, I am having the same issue, although maybe not quite that high. Clean those coolers like referenenced above.Take the black plastic belly pan off and carfully spray your oil cooler from the back through to the front then try to pick out as many rocks as you can as carefully as you can.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            It been 95° and quite humid here lately, I am having the same issue, although maybe not quite that high. Clean those coolers like referenenced above.Take the black plastic belly pan off and carfully spray your oil cooler from the back through to the front then try to pick out as many rocks as you can as carefully as you can.
            +1

if that doesn't work then remove the oil cooler and have it ultrasonic cleaned. Or replace with new OE unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is your oil level too high? I always notice my oil temps stay consistently higher when the oil level is right at the full mark or slightly above (1.1L on the CSL readout)

Comment

Working...
              X