Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High-milage injectors: Professionally cleaned or buy new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-milage injectors: Professionally cleaned or buy new?

My car currently has 140k miles and I don't believe the current ones are functioning as well as they should be, leading to rough idles and some occasional surging with throttle inputs . Question is, should I be paying to get them cleaned for about $20 per injector ($120 total) or just getting a new set for about $275? Curious to hear the potential pros and cons of each route that I may not be aware of

I would get new ones, especially if you plan on getting tuned and want bigger ones for more fuel flow.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

You can get an injector "rebuild" kit for $10 which is just new o rings but also new basket filters. A cleaning service would do that in addition to an ultrasonic cleaning. This would clear up any debris in the injector but doesn't help if the injector mechanics are just worn out. Which there is a better chance of if the injector is that gummed up. Odds are you could probably get away with the professional cleaning but I would go with a new set of oem bosch injectors and not think about it.

Comment

I would rather run an old injector that has had a good service than an "unknown" new one. If they havent failed in 140k they are good electronicaly anyway!
        Just be sure to get them pattern and flow tested and if they are good put them back in!

Comment

There's a local here that flow tests and cleans everyone's injectors. Ended up costing me 60 dollars for my ID 1000 injectors.
          IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Witchhunter Performance - you won't regret it
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
              Witchhunter Performance - you won't regret it
              Sadly you will if you can't afford to have your car down for about a month. They're posting a 22-day turnaround time right now per their website.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesSJ1 View Post

Sadly you will if you can't afford to have your car down for about a month. They're posting a 22-day turnaround time right now per their website.
                That's a great point
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

At 140,000 miles definitely, definitely replace. Injectors aren't meant to last forever, cleaned or not.

Comment

I just replaced mine at 166K when installing the Turner airbox. I thought about getting them cleaned, but buying from FCP made more sense to me as replacements will be free for the life of the car now.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalgam View Post
                      I just replaced mine at 166K when installing the Turner airbox. I thought about getting them cleaned, but buying from FCP made more sense to me as replacements will be free for the life of the car now.
                      You also lock in your price from FCP since E46 parts go up every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

You also lock in your price from FCP since E46 parts go up every year.
                        Is that how it's supposed to work? Pretty sure when I do a warranty return they refund me the original price of the parts that I returned to them, not the price of the new replacement parts I ordered (which are usually a little more expensive because prices go up over time).

Comment

I have 185k original injectors that were cleaned and flow tested at 170k no issues.

Comment

For some reason people think injectors last forever if you just keep cleaning them.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              For some reason people think injectors last forever if you just keep cleaning them.....lol
                              Some people think a "new" injector is going to be more reliable!

Comment

Working...
                              X