HK Trunk Panel Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HK Trunk Panel Conversion

Since m3f is gone. I wanted to ask here, has anyone converted their HK/ navigation system to non navigation system trunk panels? It's pretty much just the driver side. I was interested in doing this and wanted some suggestions/recommendations/ideas on people who have done it. Maybe where you relocated the bm53/amp or if there's a bracket you may know that works.

Thanks!

+1 potentially looking at doing this soon

Comment

unfortunately, it looks like the driver side panel for non nav coupes is NLA so prioritize finding a used piece if you want to take on this project

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

unfortunately, it looks like the driver side panel for non nav coupes is NLA so prioritize finding a used piece if you want to take on this project
        Hmm damn....

Comment

Whats the Part Number for the plastic trim and the carpet bit at least so I know what I am looking for?

Comment

I am assuming these are the parts we need:

Carpet side trim:

Plastic floor trim:

Comment

I actually have the parts, lol. But I was hoping if someone that had done it came chime in on suggestions/ideas on how to relocated the modules.

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post
                I am assuming these are the parts we need:

Carpet side trim:
                https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/51478266567/

adding an update to this thread since i claimed the part was NLA (listed as NLA on Turner, ECS, FCP, Pelican etc.)

on a whim i ordered the part from a random online dealer

https://parts.bmwmonterey.com/p/4374...478266567.html

and it did in fact arrive! took a little less than 3 weeks from order to doorstep

Comment

I did this in my coupe that originally had the business radio and had been converted to OEM Nav. I removed all of the OEM stuff except the amp, and installed a Dynavin. You'll also want the HIFI System Amplifier Holder Bracket – 65128370926. I ended up with an extra one of those and just listed it for sale in the classifieds. I didn't weigh all of the stuff I removed, but it certainly added a little extra room in the trunk and got rid of useless stuff.

I bought an aftermarket amp that should fit in the HIFI bracket, but I haven't installed that yet.
                  2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

I recently did this on my street build. You just removed all of the brackets from the old system and replaced them with same pare as K-Dawg (part # 65128370926) to mount the amp. Then you can use trim part # 65128370926 and Trunk Floor Storage Box part # 51478193797 👍

Comment

I did this after seeing it on Rob's thread and it is a nice weight savings. I pulled the extra prewiring all the way to the headunit and just cut it off at the firewall.

The bulk of it was actually for the phone that could be added in the center console:

I pulled an amp bracket and trunk panel from a sedan (panel doesn't fit) and forgot to get the plastic tray, so here is a shot of those in place showing roughly how much trunk room you gain:

And the final weight savings of just over 3kg (removed cd changer brackets and wiring, added amp bracket):

Comment

Working...
                      X