No announcement yet.

Robs E46M Rosso Corsa Street Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow nice work. Love the color. Has anyone else even done a full resto on an E46 like this?

Comment

Fantastic work Rob!

The new Cams you installed; not Shrick? Asking because you posted you didn't replace lifters, which I believe (don't quote me) Shrick requires new lifters.

Keep it up

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
        If money were no object, I'd be building my car just like this. Incredible work as usual Rob!
        Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
        Nice update. Going to look stunning under the sun.
        Originally posted by ClevoCapri View Post
        Looks like you have achived your goal of the perfect street car to me! Perfect!
        Thanks guys, it's getting close! Major milestone this week πŸ‘

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
        You can relocate the driver side ballast under the headlight, same as passanger side. It will look better IMO.
        That was my original plan, to move it to the mounting slots that already exist in the back of the headlight. Unfortunately that still interfered with the snorkel. Mounted on the rail it is now basically hidden under the snorkel.

Originally posted by Nick_P View Post
        This is turning into an awesome build!! So tempted to get a 2nd M3 and turn it into a street car lol
        Do it, get 'em while they are cheap!

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post
        Wow nice work. Love the color. Has anyone else even done a full resto on an E46 like this?
        There was a thread a few years ago where on M3Cutters where a guy really did a full job on the interior, that got idea going. Then I've always liked the Redish and Restore It YouTube channels.

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post
        Fantastic work Rob! The new Cams you installed; not Shrick? Asking because you posted you didn't replace lifters, which I believe (don't quote me) Shrick requires new lifters. Keep it up
        Yeah they are Cat Cams, same specs as CSL and got a deal on black Friday. For bigger cams (like on my track car) I have used the coated lifters and upgraded springs. For this spec I don't think it is necessary.

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
        This is awesome Rob. IF you ever sell it, let me know because I’m in love with it. What’s the plan with the interior?
        All OE replacement as needed for the trim and some customized seats and doorcards. Here is a preview, more to come!

Click image for larger version

Name:	50155929243_76132317de_z.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	50669

Comment

Successful test drive! Took it out for a couple laps around the block for some basic checks. Motor and SMG seem to be running great and there were no major issues or leaks. Still on stock suspension, old wheels and no trim or interior:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50217543993_7933a409e5_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.4 KB ID:	50683

I didn't go past 4k rpm or so until I get the tune sorted out. I think it currently has a canned tune loaded on it and it is read blocked (I'll skip my canned tunes are absurd rant...). Current plan is to use MSSFlasher (anyone heard from Paffy lately?!?!?) to get a stock tune loaded and then have Jordan at RK Tunes to tweak it for the airbox and cams. Then I'll drive it to him in the coming weeks for a proper dyno tune. Before I do that it's heading back to Mario on Tuesday for final paint touchups and polish πŸ‘.

Last edited by robgill; 08-16-2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

With the exterior basically done I started on the interior. I'm installing an Avin Avant head unit with a backup camera. This car had nav installed which means I have to run a bunch of wires to the trunk. Normally a serious hassle but pretty easy with the interior out! First ran the wire for the camera, what a pain... took forever to fish it though the trunk loom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50233473931_fc7303c3e2_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	50689

Next I cleaned up the trunk space used to mount the nav, cd changer etc. All of that is coming out so I removed all of the hardware and brackets so only thing left is the amp. I ordered the OE bracket to mount just the amp but it actually bolts up nicely to existing holes. With all if that removed I can use new base trim and free up a bunch of trunk space:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50233179407_c48177b115_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	50690

Click image for larger version  Name:	50233179417_65c6bab921_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.4 KB ID:	50691

Ran the harness extension and and antenna wire under the trunk shelf, along the passenger side then behind the glove box to the head unit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50233179437_662aee0895_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.9 KB ID:	50692

I got everything to work except for the backup camera. Avin instructions suck... I can't get the camera to come on in reverse. Will take some more research to sort that out. While I had the dash apart I'm also putting in a different accessories button module. I removed the heated seats and rear window shade so don't need those buttons! Hunted around on ebay and found a replacement with just DSC, HK, TPS and Sport.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50232960331_613a050940_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.2 KB ID:	50693

Lastly got the rear shelf reinstalled. Went with a version that deletes the hooks for a cleaner look.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50233179422_bc8f34079c_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	50694

With the car going back to Mario next week I'm going to focus on rebuilding the seats and door cards with all the new trim. Unfortunately also have a new side project. Took the track car out for a spin on Friday and someone backed into it in a parking lot 😫 (and fled...)!!! Fortunately the only real damage is to the hood and I have the parts to fix everything else. Hoping I can find a used silver hood or maybe time for a GTR or vented style hood???

Click image for larger version  Name:	50232306673_a3dcdf71c6_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	50695
            Last edited by robgill; 08-16-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Wow I didn't know there was a version of trunk trim that reclaims all of that space! Did you cut out that big wad of wiring harness for the cd changer too?

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                Current plan is to use MSSFlasher (anyone heard from Paffy lately?!?!?) to get a stock tune loaded and then have Jordan at RK Tunes to tweak it for the airbox and cams.
                With your airbox and cams, a stock CSL tune will work perfectly without any modifications. Then you can get a dyno tune on top of that.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Nooo not the track car! I hate NYC lol
                  2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                  2005 BMW ///M3
                  ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
                  2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                  2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                  2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

You should got the HTE tune. Works coming along nicely.

Comment

Oh wow sorry to hear that... why do people suck so much

Comment

Originally posted by ZHPizza View Post
                        Wow I didn't know there was a version of trunk trim that reclaims all of that space! Did you cut out that big wad of wiring harness for the cd changer too?
                        Part # 51478266567 πŸ‘. For now I've wrapped up the wires and tucked them away. But yeah, there is A LOT of them.

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                        With your airbox and cams, a stock CSL tune will work perfectly without any modifications. Then you can get a dyno tune on top of that.
                        Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                        You should got the HTE tune. Works coming along nicely.
                        I've been around the block a few times with these cars and tunes, feel like I tried them all πŸ˜‚ . The CSL tune would be convenient with these mods but I ruled it out for a couple reasons based on my experience with it in the past:
                        • NY state yearly inspection can not read the CSL tune. There is no way around this and its a huge hassle to swap DMEs.
                        • Low speed drivability sucks. This can probably be improved but search "CSL hesitation"; it's real.
                        • I absolutely love the current RK Tunes Alpha-N custom tune on my track car. Its 100% drivable, makes great power, and passes NY inspection with no BS. So going the same route with this car.
                        ​​​
                        Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                        Nooo not the track car! I hate NYC lol
                        Originally posted by timmo View Post
                        Oh wow sorry to hear that... why do people suck so much
                        Seriously. Just to add to a crappy week for the track car I got two no front plate tickets in 24hrs...

Comment

Part # 51478266567 πŸ‘. For now I've wrapped up the wires and tucked them away. But yeah, there is A LOT of them.
                          Save that part number for later! I put the xtrons version of that head unit (they are all the same I think) in my car and notice how many wires are back there!

What are you doing for the Ohlins adjusters on the rear shock towers?

Comment

Thanks for this! Looks great and surprisingly not too expensive. Can’t seem to find in stock anywhere though. Where did you order from?

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
                              What are you doing for the Ohlins adjusters on the rear shock towers?
                              You are ahead of me in that one. I'm still debating how/when I'm going to get the Ohlins installed for a couple reasons. I want to add a strut tower brace (PureTech Sweden)as well as some sound deadening to the trunk. The will require cutting the floor and the trim; so I may add some kind of access flap at that time. Something like this https://www.instagram.com/p/B6JE3bvJNrJ/

Originally posted by HighSchoolDream View Post
                              Thanks for this! Looks great and surprisingly not too expensive. Can’t seem to find in stock anywhere though. Where did you order from?
                              Try getbmwparts.com, they are awesome! Also if parts become no longer available in the US a lot of times you can still get them in Europe from schmiedmann.com

Comment

After a week delay was able to drop off the M3 at Marios for final touchups and polish! Should have is back within a week and then it will be the final push to get the interior and suspension installed. Its only a couple miles drive up to the body shop but the engine and SMG felt and ran great so pretty confident I've got that completely sorted.

Name:	50283884652_5a7f7bcc9a_b.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	52973

Name:	50283733811_1189a5667b_b.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	52974

Name:	50283053703_3e30baf1ff_b.jpg