No announcement yet.

Robs E46M Rosso Corsa Street Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on 4 wheels! Finished up the brakes today by getting the dust shields and new emergency brake hardware installed. Anything I can't paint I'm hitting with some wd40 anti corrosion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51659789271_a527135bf3_b.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	135879
    Then doubled checked all of the bolts and torqued the hub and lower shock mounts while on the ground. Bolted on a new set of rear CSL wheels and PS4s

Name:	51659789321_b1e011fe47_b.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	135880
    Thinking I like these wheels the best 🤔, lot more pop with silver wheels. One last detail before a test drive; new custom plates!

Name:	51660468529_5386249b85_b.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	135881

Comment

That is perfection mate!

Comment

Looks very nice Rob.

Did you paint over the Boom Mat? The black finish you have looks quite good.

Don't suppose that axle puller can be used for disassembly?

Jesse
        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
          Looks very nice Rob.

Did you paint over the Boom Mat? The black finish you have looks quite good.

Don't suppose that axle puller can be used for disassembly?

Jesse
          Thats boom mat straight from the can, it looks really good! Axle puller only does assembly unfortunately. I can almost never get the axels out of the hubs on my own. I usually take them to a local machine shop to press them out.
          Last edited by robgill; 11-13-2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

One of my favorite all time builds. I keep coming back to this thread!
            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue​

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post

Fishing touch was to cut the floor board and carpet. I did this by using the same pilot drill from below and the same hole drill for a perfect fit. Still need to figure out the side trim pieces but will save that for later.

ingenious!!! did you need to have weight on top of the floorboard/carpet while you drilled to keep it in place?

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

ingenious!!! did you need to have weight on top of the floorboard/carpet while you drilled to keep it in place?
                Yeah I just laid the bar on it for enough weight to just start a pilot hole. Then pulled it all out and used the hole drill to finish it. Still need to sort out the side trim!

Comment

Likely the last outing of the year! Met up with EYEHAVEYOU & @andyman746 at Sunday Motor Co in Jersey for some Coffee. Actually started snowing while we were there so its definitely about time to shut it down for the winter. NYC loves to dump absurd amounts of salt all over the roads...

Click image for larger version  Name:	51711678178_7b87d863e1_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.4 KB ID:	140161

With the rearend done this car drives SOOOOOO GOOOOOD. Absolutely love it. Everything is better. It shifts much smoother, its feels a lot stiffer/responsive and I really don't notice any additional NVH with the solid subframe bushings.
                  Last edited by robgill; 12-02-2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

With the rearend done this car drives SOOOOOO GOOOOOD. Absolutely love it. Everything is better. It shifts much smoother, its feels a lot stiffer/responsive and I really don't notice any additional NVH with the solid subframe bushings.
                    You went with OE/OEM differential bushing though, is that correct?

I did the same rear suspension rebuild on mine last year. Everything is a monoball or OE bushing. Subframe bushings are Delrin (the car came to me with Delrin) and I opted to go for solid TMS aluminum diff bushings. I absolutely love how direct the rear suspension feels. It's racecar good.

But it's racecar loud too, thanks to the diff bushings. Noisy little bastards! Had I know just how loud they'd be, I never would have gone that route. I'm likely going to go swap them out with the OE BMW bushings and try my luck pressing them into the diff cover.

Comment

This thing is so rad! A brief hiatus from the board, and so much progress done here. Must re-read entire thread, fantastic job Rob!

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

I did the same rear suspension rebuild on mine last year. Everything is a monoball or OE bushing. Subframe bushings are Delrin (the car came to me with Delrin) and I opted to go for solid TMS aluminum diff bushings. I absolutely love how direct the rear suspension feels. It's racecar good.

But it's racecar loud too, thanks to the diff bushings. Noisy little bastards! Had I know just how loud they'd be, I never would have gone that route. I'm likely going to go swap them out with the OE BMW bushings and try my luck pressing them into the diff cover.
                        What diff bushings do you have now? The stock diff bushings only come with the cover unfortunately.

Comment

Yeah I stuck with the OE diff bushings. I think those plus OE engine and trans keeps the NVH down.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

What diff bushings do you have now? The stock diff bushings only come with the cover unfortunately.
                            Solid aluminum Turner.

I thought the front bushing was the same diameter as the 2 in the rear? Maybe not, will double check...

Yeah I stuck with the OE diff bushings. I think those plus OE engine and trans keeps the NVH down.
                            I kept the engine and tranny bushings OEM, but those rears... so loud. It's good to know that with all of the other mods you did that are basically what I did don't contribute too much NVH. Gives me hope!!
                            Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 12-02-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Solid aluminum Turner.

I thought the front bushing was the same diameter as the 2 in the rear? Maybe not, will double check...
                              Ah, didn't catch that on first read. Yeah, the stock front diff and cover bushings are a bit different.

Comment

I am learning a lot from this journal. Thanks.

Coincidentally, I am now installing the rear subframe/suspension assembly after finishing up Vincebar and VinceSkinz install. The TIS says to set the diff in place and attach three (only three?) driveshaft bolts, install all three diff mount bolts hand tight and finally to torque the front bolt followed by the two rears. I have the diff in place and the bolts in loosely, but I have not attached the drive shaft yet.

Will I really need to pull out the three diff bolts before attaching the drive shaft?

Can I just install all six drive shaft bolts rather than only three?

Can the half shafts be attached and torqued to the diff before the diff is torqued?

Lots of questions. Maybe I am over thinking it, but I do not want to take this thing apart again any time soon.

Did you grease the rear CV joint in the drive shaft, and if so, what sort of grease did you use?

Thanks.

Jesse
                                Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                                X