X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always said if I could buy a new e46 from the dealer I would. This might be the closest thing.

Comment

Thanks for posting! This is awesome!

Comment

Coming together real nice mate!

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
            Looks stunning and excellent progress. Can’t wait to see it finished
            Originally posted by timmo View Post
            Love the attention to detail. Engine-out is definitely the right way to go about a paint job. Looking forward to the final product!
            Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
            Wow!
            Originally posted by 8000RPM View Post
            Thanks for posting! This is awesome!
            Originally posted by ClevoCapri View Post
            Coming together real nice mate!
            Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post
            Glad you made it back. I loved your old threads on m3f and happy you decided to come here as well man. As always ludicrous attention to detail, inspirational skills with all this diy youre doing. Looking forward to the rest of this amazing build.
            Thanks guys, needed this thread to keep me motivated to finish it up! I've almost got this thread caught up to present day.

Originally posted by ZHPizza View Post
            I always said if I could buy a new e46 from the dealer I would. This might be the closest thing.
            Exactly! I just want to have one that is perfect, even if only for a few weeks. I plan on driving this one a lot and enjoying it.

Comment

Next up was the cooling system and steering/front suspension. For the cooling system I replace all of the hoses as well as using the o-ring set from WOLFN8TR (highly recommended!). Had a hell of a time tracking down how the heater hoses are routed but got it figured out:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50197033896_1a76889500_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	49187

Front clip with radiator, a/c condenser and aux fan back in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50155929218_2f50fe1aef_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	49188

Pressure tested the cooling system and everything checked out first try 👍, so on to steering. Debated swapping in a tighter rack but ultimately decided to keep the standard (no compromises...). I did install Turner rack limiters to keep the bigger wheels/tires I plan on running from rubbing. Also new hoses, coupler, end links and boots.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50156720197_a0720656b0_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.3 KB ID:	49189

Finished off the front suspension with new OE control arms. Did I mention I love my Quickjacks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	50156488036_f05d370e19_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	49190

Then spent like 3 hours getting this headlight level sensor reinstalled. First had to rewire the plug and then took forever to get the freakin mount to clip onto the control arm 😐

Click image for larger version  Name:	50156720207_457a870c97_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	49191

Comment

With the motor pretty much back together it was time to give it a test fire and makes sure there were no major issues or leaks. That ended up being quite a challenge... First I triple check that all the wiring was correct. Not easy as the harness has been modified in the past:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50156488051_53e9cd0f4d_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	49326

As expected there was a ton of SMG and DME codes and a persistent cog of death light. My plan was to just work through all of the bleeding/adaptation procedures one at a time. In the past I have used DIS for service and coding but I got tired of keeping that running in virtual Win XP instance and all the BS that causes. So put some effort in this winter to get ISTA+ running on a Win 10 machine. Glad I did that, much easier to work with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50208296322_51213a1cd3_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	49323

I was able to bleed the SMG pump and run clutch adaptation with ISTA+. After a couple rounds of that and a lot of code clearing I was finally able to get the car to crank. I had kept the fuel and ignition off so I could crank it using the starter to build fuel pressure first. Then hooked it all back up and it fired right up with no issues. Let it warm up then changed the oil.

I then came across this SMG bleeding thread from Irhase46m3 and based on his experience did a couple more bleeds using INPA as well as taking the pump out of its relocation bracket so it was horizontal. At this point I'm pretty confident all the air is out!

Click image for larger version  Name:	50208020776_cab0ebb030_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.6 KB ID:	49324

Click image for larger version  Name:	50202888372_e48db0dd49_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.0 KB ID:	49325

Comment

Next major milestone is going to be taking the car for a test drive. To get get it road worthy I needed to install all of the glass, headlights/taillights and mirrors. For glass Mario had had the windshield and rear window installed at the shop. I went with a new full feature BMW windshield with "green windscreen, green shade band, climate comfort windscreen and rain sensor". Props to Westchester BMW for letting me order this from Germany:

Click image for larger version

Name:	50066058376_0973a42d0d_b.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	49339

The rest of the glass took some work to clean up. Used a steamer to get the old tint off and then polished everything up and added some Rainx anti-phog to the interior.

Name:	49405630406_1377dab6d1_b.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	49340

Name:	49405630621_56621bf575_b.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	49341

The side windows took some time to figure out, should have taken more pictures when I took them apart 😂, thanks you YouTube! Went ahead and got the vapor barrier and and airbags back in as well.

Name:	50184356973_b8d2417548_z.jpg
Views:	1476
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	49343

Also got the new gloss black trim installed:

Name:	50210848893_80b0e8cb3e_b.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	49342

Comment

I had been waiting on the headlights because they needed to be installed at the same time as another modification, Karbonius airbox and non-flapper snorkel 👍👍.

Click image for larger version  Name:	49330140957_6ab88a41d6_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	49346

Test fit. I used the Turner IAT kit that plugs into the MAF plug and OE everything else. The oil dip stick tube fit nicely against the shock tower with some minor bending:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50155929283_cfa948b3b9_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	49348

I wanted to re-locate the headlight ballast of the drivers side to clean up the engine bay a little and show off more red, but wasn't sure where it could fit until I got the box on. Turns out it was pretty simple, using the existing bracket I was able to modify it to bolt up to the cross member tucked under the snorkel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50185155632_90f2507674_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.7 KB ID:	49347

With lights back in I fitted the front bumper for the first time!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	50197297882_5a7804d4d6_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.6 KB ID:	49349

I also got the driveshaft and the rest of the exhaust installed. Currently I'm using the Supersprint catted section 1, Supersprint 63mm resonated section 2, and SCZA muffler taken off of my track car. Love the way it sounds and hoping it will be a little quieter with a full interior and sound deadening. If its too loud I will likely try a different muffler.

This pretty much catches the thread up to present day (Aug 10th). Goal this week it to take it our for a test drive!

Comment

If money were no object, I'd be building my car just like this. Incredible work as usual Rob!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Nice update. Going to look stunning under the sun.

Comment

Looks like you have achived your goal of the perfect street car to me! Perfect!

Comment

This is awesome Rob. IF you ever sell it, let me know because I’m in love with it.

What’s the plan with the interior?
                            2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

You can relocate the driver side ballast under the headlight, same as passanger side. It will look better IMO.
                              2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                              2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                              2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

This is turning into an awesome build!! So tempted to get a 2nd M3 and turn it into a street car lol

Comment

Working...
                                X