No announcement yet.

Robs E46M Rosso Corsa Street Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great progress, that red is bright! Why did you go with Dinan camber plates over swapping the top hats from side to side?

Also, what is your reason for going with OEM subframe bushings? Internet consensus is that solid subframe bushings and OEM everything else is a good way to prevent the cradle from jacking the floor (cause of cracks) and it doesn't add much NVH.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
      Can't go wrong with the Ohlins. Great choice
      Agreed!!

Originally posted by S14 View Post
      Great progress, that red is bright! Why did you go with Dinan camber plates over swapping the top hats from side to side?

Also, what is your reason for going with OEM subframe bushings? Internet consensus is that solid subframe bushings and OEM everything else is a good way to prevent the cradle from jacking the floor (cause of cracks) and it doesn't add much NVH.
      The camber plates were a package deal from 3DM Motorsports and it will get me the 2.5 degrees of camber I'm looking for. As for the subframe bushings I get a lot of conflicting info on NVH, and theme for this build is no compromises on streetablility. So sticking with OE. I do plan on reinforcing the subframe from the top as well, still debating that solution.

Comment

Love the color and philosophy!

The dinan plate on top of the stock hat seems to raise static height by a fair amount without more travel in exchange. Not a great or a horrible thing, but certainly worse on dampers that already have limited stroke.

I guess it won't be an issue if you're around 14" ride height, but if you want the typical enthusiast 13.5", your travel will be compromised I think.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Love the color and philosophy!

The dinan plate on top of the stock hat seems to raise static height by a fair amount without more travel in exchange. Not a great or a horrible thing, but certainly worse on dampers that already have limited stroke.

I guess it won't be an issue if you're around 14" ride height, but if you want the typical enthusiast 13.5", your travel will be compromised I think.
          Hmm, I did not consider that. I do plan on lowering the car, similar to yours in your sig. What heights are you running?

Comment

I have solid subframe bushings and I get no nvh.suspension set up will determine that.i also daily my car.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post

Hmm, I did not consider that. I do plan on lowering the car, similar to yours in your sig. What heights are you running?
              13.375 F, 13" R

I have a shortened stack with bilstein b6 (shortened bump stop too) which don't go low. So I bought myself almost an inch of travel or "free lowering" I guess you could say.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post

Agreed!!

The camber plates were a package deal from 3DM Motorsports and it will get me the 2.5 degrees of camber I'm looking for. As for the subframe bushings I get a lot of conflicting info on NVH, and theme for this build is no compromises on streetablility. So sticking with OE. I do plan on reinforcing the subframe from the top as well, still debating that solution.
                I have no increased NVH with the solid subframe bushings and OE everywhere else (My goal for my car is very similar to yours!). I did hear a little bit of diff whine when I had the back seats and rear interior out of the car, but when it's all in place, there is no added sound. I too am trying to figure out how to brace the top side while still keep the trunk functional.

Comment

love it rob! Cant wait to see it completed.

If you need a hand putting the car back together, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help out.
                  Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Originally posted by benzthis View Post
                    I have solid subframe bushings and I get no nvh.suspension set up will determine that.i also daily my car.
                    ​​​​​​​
                    Originally posted by S14 View Post
                    I have no increased NVH with the solid subframe bushings and OE everywhere else (My goal for my car is very similar to yours!). I did hear a little bit of diff whine when I had the back seats and rear interior out of the car, but when it's all in place, there is no added sound. I too am trying to figure out how to brace the top side while still keep the trunk functional.
                    Interesting, I'm may reconsider. Rear subframe is going to be one of the last things I tackle so got time.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                    I have a shortened stack with bilstein b6 (shortened bump stop too) which don't go low. So I bought myself almost an inch of travel or "free lowering" I guess you could say.
                    I'm going to ping Barry over at 3DM on ride height, he's been a huge help with the Ohlins and pre-built everything.

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post
                    If you need a hand putting the car back together, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help out.
                    Thanks Frank!

Comment

In May things finally started to open back up in the NYC area and the M3 entered final paint stages. Mario kept me updated with a lot of pics 👍

Click image for larger version  Name:	49883068658_7d18007068_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.2 KB ID:	48907

Click image for larger version  Name:	49883902402_4954a917c0_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	48908

Click image for larger version  Name:	49883068548_23a3ca146b_b.jpg".jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	48909

After the final coats of clear I was able to make it up to the shop and see it day light for the first time in 7 months. And yeah, exceptionally happy with the results!

Click image for larger version  Name:	50066316842_a2c5011328_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.9 KB ID:	48910

The next step was to get the car back to my garage for initial assembly and giving time for the paint to fully cure. The plan is to take it back to Mario once I get it rebuilt enough to drive so he can do final touchups and polish. So in late June we loaded it up and got it back to its home in The Bronx.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50066058476_09ba76556f_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	285.9 KB ID:	48911

Let assembly begin!

Click image for larger version

Name:	50203007966_c21371ba7a_z.jpg
Views:	1249
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	49561

Had to get a shot of that roof 🤤

Click image for larger version  Name:	50066058191_fcbc9db611_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.2 KB ID:	48913
                      Last edited by robgill; 08-11-2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

First major goal was to get the engine and transmission back in the car. Before I could do that had to knock out a couple small projects: Clean up the wiring harnesses, install new water hoses and a/c lines, and relocate the SMG pump. There were a couple brittle plugs on the harness as well as some plastic loom that was torn up. So anything that was suspect I replaced, got pretty good a de-pinning plugs!

Click image for larger version  Name:	49480264916_d84674119f_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	48941

Cleaned up all of the a/c lines and repainted connections chassis black:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50066058306_25e14c4f26_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	48942

Hoses and insulation back in. Spent a ton of time cleaning the metal insulation:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50155929053_b86be7bbe5_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	48943

Finally got the SMG pump relocated to the drug bin using the Burkhart Engineering kit. Very nice solution and the hydraulic lines run very nicely across the back of the engine bay using the same mounting point that the '01-'02 MK20 cars use for brake/abs lined (but aren't used on the '03+ MK60). Powder coated all of the brackets black and it look pretty OE imho:

Click image for larger version

Name:	50065519118_2153ffe7e0_b.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	48959

Click image for larger version  Name:	50155928973_2a08eb32e4_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	48944

Ready for an engine 👍👍

Click image for larger version  Name:	50155929043_e3e206bc5b_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	48945
                        Last edited by robgill; 08-08-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Next a couple of finishing touches on the engine as well as some items that have to wait until its on the hoist. With the SMG relocated I swapped to a non-SMG engine mount bracket and also trimmed up the coolant res bracket. Then decided to go ahead and do another round of powder coating:

Click image for larger version  Name:	49205603596_7e3f84e221_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	48948

Click image for larger version  Name:	49745867621_8d5174f22c_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	48947

Went ahead and installed a new water pump, pullys/tensioners, front main seal, header studs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	49219463687_7353a34999_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.9 KB ID:	48949

So clean!

Click image for larger version  Name:	49883597031_cef70c2abb_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.5 KB ID:	48950

With the engine off of the stand and on the hoist I installed a new rear main seal, pilot bearing, clutch and flywheel. Also new Supersprint V1 fully stepped headers. Much easier to mount these prior to putting the engine in, just have to be very careful not to tweak them installing the drivetrain in the chassis.

Click image for larger version  Name:	49745867661_4b461796c6_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.0 KB ID:	48951

Click image for larger version  Name:	50156487961_9ee88b897b_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.2 KB ID:	48952

Click image for larger version  Name:	50156487976_6050777bcf_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	48953

Soooo much easier to do this with an SMG. No shifter linkages to deal with. Just slide the drivetrain in, get the sub frame bolts started, drop the engine onto the engine mounts (easy with quickjacks), then install the trans mount bolts and tighten everything down. Drive train back in!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	50155929193_4a3314fd9e_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	48954

Hooked up the engine harness and installed the alternator, throttle actuator and new starter motor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50156720232_e129da2a94_z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.8 KB ID:	48955
                          Last edited by robgill; 08-08-2020, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Looks stunning and excellent progress. Can’t wait to see it finished

Comment

Love the attention to detail. Engine-out is definitely the right way to go about a paint job. Looking forward to the final product!

Comment

Hey Rob,

Glad you made it back. I loved your old threads on m3f and happy you decided to come here as well man. As always ludicrous attention to detail, inspirational skills with all this diy youre doing. Looking forward to the rest of this amazing build.
                                2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Working...
                                X