Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Wheel Bearing, Inner Race - Normal or Defective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Wheel Bearing, Inner Race - Normal or Defective?

I’m in the middle of replacing my rear wheel bearings. On the new F@G bearing I noticed some play with the outer half, inner race. It was like this prior to pressing in, so install wasn’t the problem and I used the proper press kit. I took a quick video to show the play. Is this a defective bearing or normal at until the axle and nut are torqued one? TIA for the help!

2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

You should be ok. Like the fronts, they are "split" bearings.
    Once the driveshaft is installed, torquing down the axle nut will clamp the bearings halves anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
      You should be ok. Like the fronts, they are "split" bearings.
      Once the driveshaft is installed, torquing down the axle nut will clamp the bearings halves anyway.
      I had another set originally and I don’t remember this much play.

Don’t ask what happened to those. Learned a few lessons the hard way and had they are broken now. These were a second set I received.
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Just installed F@G front wheel bearings on a 997.2 turbo and don't remember any play, granted I didn't check pre-install. Post install, with wheel on, showed no play.

Some play might be expected, that looks like quite a bit IMO.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looked at your video again. The Porsche front wheel bearings are not split in 2 havles. I see where your play is coming from. Can you squeeze the 2 halves together and test to see if the entire inner race has play or just the half?

You might be OK once everything is back together, as suggested earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by M3GA View Post
            Looked at your video again. The Porsche front wheel bearings are not split in 2 havles. I see where your play is coming from. Can you squeeze the 2 halves together and test to see if the entire inner race has play or just the half?

You might be OK once everything is back together, as suggested earlier.

The “inside” inner race has zero play, it’s only the “outside”. Which is what is leading me to believe there wouldn’t be an issue ones the axle is torqued in. Just wanted to see if others recall the same amount of play.

Comment

I know the inner race has some play in it. The whole bearing is not difficult to take apart.

I wouldn’t be concerned unless the bearing doesn’t spin smoothly with a little bit of drag.

The axle, axle nut and hub is what holds the wheel on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                I know the inner race has some play in it. The whole bearing is not difficult to take apart.

I wouldn’t be concerned unless the bearing doesn’t spin smoothly with a little bit of drag.

The axle, axle nut and hub is what holds the wheel on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                It does spin smoothly. The “inside” inner race is tight and has drag, and also spins smoothly. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                X