6MT Reverse Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6MT Reverse Issue

Just started happening somewhat recently, can’t really recall exactly when. Occasionally when going into reverse, the gear doesn’t fully engage, causing the gear to pop out. Only remedy I have really found is to put the car into first and move forward a few feet and trying again. Earlier this spring I did replace a lot of the shifter assembly bushings, but I don’t have an issue getting into any other gear.

I tried doing some research, based on what I found it could be fluid/bushings (I recently did those), a compression spring somewhere (where?), or some internal damage to the forks or synchros. Any ideas?

It isn’t a huge issue for me right now, more of an annoyance but something definitely isn’t right.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

It’s your clutch.
    Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
      It’s your clutch.
      Any speculation as to why? I don’t have any issues in any other gear, and even at low speed/high gear I don’t have any climbing rpm which I have used in the past to diagnose a shot clutch.

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

I have a similar issue with mine - - usually occurs when cold. When I first fire it up and reverse, its usually a 50/50 chance it doesn't engage into gear fully, or pops out once I go into reverse a little bit. Not sure if its caused by the short shifter? Once the car is up to operating temperature, I don't think it happens.

I'm also using factory BMW fluid for the transmission, and I think the clutch / pressure plate combo is stock as well.

Comment

Red line fluid, probably original clutch flywheel. I think it happens warm or cold, maybe more often when cold?

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post

Any speculation as to why? I don’t have any issues in any other gear, and even at low speed/high gear I don’t have any climbing rpm which I have used in the past to diagnose a shot clutch.
            I had the same exact issue, cold starts it would grind really badly into reverse, so I would start it in first then shift it into reverse. Also, Red line fluid is junk.
            Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

I had the same exact issue, cold starts it would grind really badly into reverse, so I would start it in first then shift it into reverse. Also, Red line fluid is junk.
              I know it’s not great. I checked FCP and it looks like Febi is the OEM replacement, unless people get their fluid somewhere else.

Did you replace anything other than the clutch? Flywheel? Trying to spit ball if it could be any other parts.

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Maybe its just a weird quirk on the Getrag transmissions. Are all of you guys running short shifters?

Comment

I run a short shifter but I dont have issues getting into any gears. This might be internal to the tranny.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

This thread points toward fluid (but for the love of God don't use royal purple)
                    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ear-in-reverse

If you wanted to swap fluids OE is the way to go: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...il-83222339219

However I don't think bad fluid could cause it to pop out of gear.

Comment

I used to have this issue when I lived in Colorado and it got cold. Although it would only happen first thing in the morning. Haven't had it happen since moving to California (but it's never cold here). Putting it into first and then moving back to reverse was always enough to get it to fully engage, no driving forward needed.

It happened with old and new fluid, old and new bushings, stock linkage and short throw shifter, and with and without a clutch stop. I'm assuming it's an internal issue with the transmission, but since it's stopped happening I've stopped chasing the issue.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Maybe could be some of the teeth on the reverse synchro broke/chipped off. On Foxbody Mustangs the reverse synchro was dog shit so you would have to put it in a different gear then into reverse so it wouldn’t grind or pop out.

Comment

Originally posted by 2004LSB View Post
                          Maybe its just a weird quirk on the Getrag transmissions. Are all of you guys running short shifters?
                          Using the stock shifter.

interesting to see some other with the same issue. I’m really thinking it’s something that may be internal with some synchros. I did purchase some OEM fluid to swap in and see if it helps at all. While I’m down there I’ll inspect all my shifter bushings to make sure none are loose or out of place.

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post

Using the stock shifter.

interesting to see some other with the same issue. I’m really thinking it’s something that may be internal with some synchros. I did purchase some OEM fluid to swap in and see if it helps at all. While I’m down there I’ll inspect all my shifter bushings to make sure none are loose or out of place.
                            +1 on checking the shifter bushings, my previous car had that issue and found some of them had gotten loose over time.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                            2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

It’s your clutch.
                              Trash talk.

Comment

Working...
                              X