Oil Level Sensor: BMW vs Hella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Level Sensor: BMW vs Hella

Need to replace the oil level sensor on the M. Keep getting the yellow light after shutting off car. I've checked the oil per manual every time I get the light; oil level always between the marks on the dipstick.

Anyone have any experience / bad stories about using the Hella sensor? It's about $185 cheaper then the BMW variant $47 vs $235.

Mike
    02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
    11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
    16 X5

On my e39 M5 I went with Hella and had zero issues. I don’t think you will have an problem going with Hella. Buy from FCP euro, get the warranty and exchange/upgrade to BMW if something comes up. That will cover you.
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Go with HELLA From FCP
      06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Hella.

Comment

Hella makes these for BMW. I’ve seen images of the Hella unit with the BMW logo ground off.

Comment

yep hella is oe

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_20170228_131848bojxk.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	49947
            2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the help and quick replies! Ordered the Hella through FCP.

Mike
              02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
              11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
              16 X5

Comment

Originally posted by Zekarus View Post
                yep hella is oe
                I love it when you see expensive parts, and the OE manufacturer simply grinds off the logo for the non-BMW branded part. That's a huge price difference too. Had the same thing with coils on my Toyota years ago. $100 each at the dealer. Local auto parts store pulled one off the shelf and it was identical with the toyota logo ground away, and 1/3 the price.

Comment

Perfect timing, I need to replace this.
                  IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

So on the M3 I went with Hella 3 times before I had to buy an OE one from FCP. On my M5 the first Hella one I got from FCP worked. I have no clue lol
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Zekarus View Post
                      yep hella is oe

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_20170228_131848bojxk.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	49947
                      Wow, that's so cleanly done. I know with some of the plastic stuff, it looks like it's done by hand, but I can imagine rows upon rows of sensors mounted in some sort of jig, and a small endmill quickly zings off the logo.

Comment

here in germany there are a lot of counterfeit products. Pay attention to the source at Hella Behr ...

Comment

Hella is fine if it is real Hella. But if you get from FCP, I guess you should be ok in any case.
                          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

the source has to be right

Comment

Hella is the OEM.

See pic where the BMW logo and part number (12617508003) have been grounded off.

Remember to change the bolts also - 07119905400 x3.

Comment

Working...
                              X