Zada Tech OLED display mounted in Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zada Tech OLED display mounted in Cluster

I saw somebody on one of the Facebook groups had this gauge in their M3 cluster. They pointed me to zada tech a company in the UK.

They were very helpful and offered some flexibility and custom display solutions and were able to sell me a display package that had boost and AFR in one small display.

Since I'm turbocharging my car I didn't really feel like I wanted to go outside of my OEM plus look inside the cabin by adding third-party gauges.

I believe I paid $196 with shipping for this .96" display with a controller box configured to accept boost and AFR inputs.

With the gauge came with control box and also a electronic boost solenoid with fittings and tubing. they also programmed the control box to accept a 0 to 5 volt AFR input from the innovate LC2 wideband package because that's what I told him I was going to be using.

So I just got it yesterday and got to work on my m3 cluster.

My cluster was originally an SMG cluster but I had installed the 6MT cluster insert that covered the SMG display.

I swapped back in the SMG insert with a little window cut out and a little cutting with the Dremel of the inner plastic backplate in the cluster so that the new display would fit into it nicely.

I then used some electrical tape on the top and under neath surfaces of the metal retaining clip that originally held in the SMG LCD. i cut off one of the 3 legs since the new OLED display board is taller than the old LCD. i didnt want the metal retaining clip to touch the board scratching or shorting it out

It really stinks that they don't offer an amber solution for this small oled display but it is what it is I still think it looks nice and you get a lot in a small package.

I'll end up just wiring the control box 12 volt power and ground to ignition two and ground in the cluster plugs.

Here are some pictures of it installed and turned on.
    Last edited by nextelbuddy; 08-14-2020, 03:43 PM.

The display turned out very nice. I hate having mine in the ashtray and having to look down to see it.
    IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

That's a pretty clean install! If you want it to match the backlighting of the rest of the gauge cluster, you could apply some amber film, similar to how it was done here

Comment

Very nice indeed!
        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Looks great, so the manual cluster wouldn't have anything in the SMG gear display location, can just cut out a window I assume. If they would do red display instead of white I'd be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
            That's a pretty clean install! If you want it to match the backlighting of the rest of the gauge cluster, you could apply some amber film, similar to how it was done here
            Thanks I had some of that film laying around since I use to be a photographer lol.

Looks much better now

Comment

Originally posted by dl.m3 View Post
              Looks great, so the manual cluster wouldn't have anything in the SMG gear display location, can just cut out a window I assume. If they would do red display instead of white I'd be sold.
              Correct just cut out the display hole area in the 6mt cluster insert and Mount the display.

I added more pictures were an amber translucent film over the display I think it looks much better.

Comment

That came out very clean indeed. 👍
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Damn Shawn I didn't even know you did this. I think it's awesome. I didn't see anywhere if it was dimmable, so do you keep it at one setting that's good enough to see during the day but not too bright at night?

Comment

is this the same as this https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...isplay-project ?

Comment

Originally posted by STAATS View Post
                      No - from the first post of that thread:

So i saw from nextelbuddy the thread about the ZADA Display mounted in cluster. But as I have SMG car I need this display for SMG Gearindicator.
                      So I decided to build my own solution.
                      Shawn - idk if they had all of these options when you were ordering, but it looks like an orange lcd might be the perfect fit to look OE+ (if the 70x25mm screen area will fit that space)

Edit: Nvm that cutout is only about 45x24mm

Last edited by ZHPizza; 06-29-2021, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZHPizza View Post
                        No - from the first post of that thread.
                        Hahah yep - I look silly... I have been following that thread for so long I forgot the history of how it started.

Comment

Working...
                        X