Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What mods would you do on a $10k budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cams, airbox, headers and tune 👍
    Or... An SC! Depends on what you want out of the car
    385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
    -CSL airbox ( custom)
    -280 272 Cat cams
    -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
    -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
    -TMS pullies
    -Electric Fan
    -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

I haven't really seen a lot of discussion related to cam shaft mod options. I know DINAN used to make a set but curious about that mod. I'd assume Cams and throttle bodies at same time?

Comment

Originally posted by cdnabroad View Post
        I haven't really seen a lot of discussion related to cam shaft mod options. I know DINAN used to make a set but curious about that mod. I'd assume Cams and throttle bodies at same time?
        Dinan sold Schrick 280/272 cams.

Throttle bodies should be the last thing you do on a NA build. No gains on cars anywhere near stock, <7 hp
        of gains over a 4000rpm range on a 100hp over stock car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I doubt the Megans make as much power as OE euro, and I know they don't fit as well or as well made. I'd get used OE euro at that price point every single time (and did, on the M3 wagon).

... but there's lots of things I'd do before any header, especially because I wouldn't want headers without a catted section 1, which significant ups the price.
          Fitment is actually flawless. The welds are very nice quality and if Active Autowerks headers make more than Euro headers then Megan Racing headers do. They're basically the same design. Not everyone cares about cats.
          I had buildjournal and Megan's headers making 310whp. 3-5 may have come from my filter, "muffler", and Turner pulley set. The headers did more than the tune. That engine was pretty sluggish stock. We'll see how the new engine does.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

Fitment is actually flawless. The welds are very nice quality and if Active Autowerks headers make more than Euro headers then Megan Racing headers do. They're basically the same design. Not everyone cares about cats.
            I had buildjournal and Megan's headers making 310whp. 3-5 may have come from my filter, "muffler", and Turner pulley set. The headers did more than the tune. That engine was pretty sluggish stock. We'll see how the new engine does.
            I've seen a couple of people who have had the same experience as you, that megans fit well without a single issue. However, I've seen a lot of people with the same complaints about the flanges not being flat and they were furious. I also went through the 60+ pages of posts on the m3forum.net post and decided after seeing the general consensus, it would be best to go with euro headers or SSv1's. Maybe its because I don't like gambling. It also wasn't just the first batch or two that were having issues with fitment. I think some get lucky, some just don't. Isn't the 02 sensor location or the EGT placement in a weird spot as well? I won't knock someone for wanting to save money, but I would be worried about recommending headers to someone who could end up at a shop with a labor bill that exceeds the cost of more expensive headers if they had done things differently.
            Garage:
            2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
            1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Circa Surviven View Post

I've seen a couple of people who have had the same experience as you, that megans fit well without a single issue. However, I've seen a lot of people with the same complaints about the flanges not being flat and they were furious. I also went through the 60+ pages of posts on the m3forum.net post and decided after seeing the general consensus, it would be best to go with euro headers or SSv1's. Maybe its because I don't like gambling. It also wasn't just the first batch or two that were having issues with fitment. I think some get lucky, some just don't. Isn't the 02 sensor location or the EGT placement in a weird spot as well? I won't knock someone for wanting to save money, but I would be worried about recommending headers to someone who could end up at a shop with a labor bill that exceeds the cost of more expensive headers if they had done things differently.
              Megan Racing had one bad batch, the first one. They literally fixed them for free or gave refunds without hassle. People were annoyed but the issue was fixed and stayed fixed. If someone is still selling the first batch, they will fix the flanges. That is why I still recommend them. EGT is in a weird spot but everything fits. Two days ago I put my headers on and it reminded how flawless they are. Sec 1 fits perfect and everything buttoned up real nice. They took less than and hour to put on. You want to spend more on used headers? Fine. Why when the product is proven? Yes SS are better. Get them over these but they are 6 times the cost. This is like the opposite of Status Gruppe. Cheap, fits, ships on time, good customer service, fixes faulty product permanently, and still gets doubted(initially). Any other Megan product I can't vouch for but I don't want people wasting money if they don't have to. We all are switching to Supersprints one day. Why spend $500-1000 on the way? I hate gambling with products and that's why I read through every page and waited for about 10 people to buy them and put them on. The complainers and skeptics posted alot. The ones that had them fit typically stopped posting because they were there for the same reason I was. Once they fit fine, I just said they fit and moved on with life. There were around 15 people that had my experience. I think the 5 original people had to send them back. One had ordered from eBay and got an old one after the first batch. So no, not alot had that issue.
              Last edited by Arith2; 04-09-2020, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Dinan sold Schrick 280/272 cams.

Throttle bodies should be the last thing you do on a NA build. No gains on cars anywhere near stock, <7 hp
                of gains over a 4000rpm range on a 100hp over stock car.
                Thanks for the input, ya that's what I thought, and here I am almost through all the maintenance you recommend 😀 but was curious and that makes sense. Given the performance returns, that's a bit of $$$ to put into the car that is best spent elsewhere.

Comment

Megan Racing had one bad batch, the first one. They literally fixed them for free or gave refunds without hassle. People were annoyed but the issue was fixed and stayed fixed. If someone is still selling the first batch, they will fix the flanges. That is why I still recommend them. EGT is in a weird spot but everything fits. Two days ago I put my headers on and it reminded how flawless they are. Sec 1 fits perfect and everything buttoned up real nice. They took less than and hour to put on. You want to spend more on used headers? Fine. Why when the product is proven? Yes SS are better. Get them over these but they are 6 times the cost. This is like the opposite of Status Gruppe. Cheap, fits, ships on time, good customer service, fixes faulty product permanently, and still gets doubted(initially). Any other Megan product I can't vouch for but I don't want people wasting money if they don't have to. We all are switching to Supersprints one day. Why spend $500-1000 on the way? I hate gambling with products and that's why I read through every page and waited for about 10 people to buy them and put them on. The complainers and skeptics posted alot. The ones that had them fit typically stopped posting because they were there for the same reason I was. Once they fit fine, I just said they fit and moved on with life. There were around 15 people that had my experience. I think the 5 original people had to send them back. One had ordered from eBay and got an old one after the first batch. So no, not alot had that issue.
                  The Megan headers appear to be back in stock on eBay etc.. as well at the normal price. There were some outlets tying to sell them at $1000 because of COVID stocking issues a few weeks ago.

Comment

OE euro is still better made (than any aftermarket), makes more power, fits like stock (), and can be had for similar money.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Next time around an engine rebuild using forged rods and pistons which will chew up most of the budget. Already have most of the other engine bits BUT a Karbonius intake would be a final nice piece.

Feff
                      MVP Track Time

Comment

OE euro is still better made (than any aftermarket), makes more power, fits like stock (), and can be had for similar money.
                        Listen, you may have snuck this comment in while I was fixing my car by I ain't letting it slip through the cracks.

People can pay the BMW tax for a fairly inferior product out of the aftermarket options( Euro headers included because this is America) but at the end of the day, Megan Racing headers are just going to save you money. They also aren't used.... And they're half the price of the cheapest USED Euro headers. So you and your "fancy" headers can chew on them apples.

Comment

Listen, you may have snuck this comment in while I was fixing my car by I ain't letting it slip through the cracks.

People can pay the BMW tax for a fairly inferior product out of the aftermarket options( Euro headers included because this is America) but at the end of the day, Megan Racing headers are just going to save you money. They also aren't used.... And they're half the price of the cheapest USED Euro headers. So you and your "fancy" headers can chew on them apples.
                          I paid $200 shipped for my or euro headers and Oe euro catted section 1, shipped. They can be had cheaply if you shop around.

If you think they’re inferior... I think you have no idea what you’re talking about

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Hate to add it up but I’ve probably spent $10k more than once over the last five years, here’s what made the cut (along with PO’s list, lol) ..

PO’s first $10k:

KWv2
                            Apex ARC-8s
                            AP Headers + Rogue El Diablo
                            Evolve tune
                            Autosolutions 30% SSK
                            SGT CSL trunk and diffuser
                            Euro bumper

PO’s second $10k:

Full high end repaint in stock IB

My first $10k:

CPI HJS catted section 1
                            Stock muffler from CL
                            VANOS lockdown (diy)
                            rear floor vincebar+plates+rear bushing refresh (large shop bill)
                            ZCP wheels since PO sold the originals
                            New stock shifter
                            Rewrapped leather wheel

Second $10k:

SSv1 headers + cats
                            Karbonius airbox + CSL DME conversion
                            PC tune
                            OE CSL trunk + mile-end diffuser
                            996 brakes
                            New OE leather wheel
                            Cobra nogaros (incoming)

Third $10k aka upcoming wish list:

Carbon roof
                            Suspension upgrade (Ohlins or TCK?)
                            Front bushings + monoball RTABs
                            Electric fan

Comment

I have lived through this dilemma, and have pumped enough money into this car to make your head spin, but I am not complaining. As others have said, it really depends on what your goals are. Also, I would take an inventory of what your skills are in terms of working on the car. That being said, there is a wealth of knowledge around on this car and DIY’s. I noticed that you said OEM+. If you have the maintenance done at a shop, this will eat your 10k based on the recommended maintenance. I’m guessing your car will have 85,000-X miles these days so you will (likely*) need:

1. Shocks (DIY)
                              2. VANOS “Lockdown” (DIY)
                              3. Valve Adjustment (DIY)
                              4. Fuel Filter (DIY)
                              5. Fuel Pump (Probably) (DIY)
                              6. Oil Change and Filter (DIY)
                              7. Control Arms (Probably) (Limited Access for some nuts but still a DIY)
                              8. RACP Solution (If you cannot weld, $hop, otherwise a DIY)
                              9. FCABs, RTABs, Engine Mounts, Transmission Mounts, Diff Bushings, Subframe Bushings, Misc Ball Joints (Can be DIY, harder without lift)
                              10. Rod Bearings (I would be hesitant to do this on jack stands but people have, otherwise $hop)
                              11. Fan Clutch (DIY
                              12. Cooling System Overhaul (DIY)
                              13. Belt Tensioners, Belts and Pullies (DIY)
                              14. Misc. there is always Misc.

Right there you are looking at close to 10k if some items are performed in the shop.

After that, you get piece of mind and your artistry can begin.
                              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

take care of what's left - sort the rear subframe, supercharger + wideband, CSL roof + CSL trunk. would also likely need to add vents to the hood for cooling.

Comment

Working...
                                X