No announcement yet.

E46 M3 S54 Vanos pressure tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to run my VANOS test with ISTA+, and the VANOS passes the test. Below are my results

Timing

(Actuals vs Nominal)

Exhaust Advance: 128 vs 128
    Exhaust Retard: 79 vs 80
    Intake Advance: 70 vs 70
    Intake Retard: 130 vs 130

Tolerance in ISTA is +/-5 degrees

Adjustment Speed Exhaust
    Advance: 293ms
    Retard: 293ms

Adjustment Speed Intake
    Advance: 293ms
    Retard: 293ms

Limit in ISTA is 500ms

Exhaust

Setpoint 113°
    Actual 111°
    Leak Exhaust: 2°

Intake

Setpoint 115°
    Actual 114°
    Leak Intake: 1°

Tolerance in ISTA is +/-5 degrees

So based on this my VANOS is ok, the adjustment time I think is on the high side, I have seen results of 190-220ms. All this means I have no leaks and timing is right on the money

I think the response time can be influenced by the low pressure, based on my results it could just my regulating valve as everything else is working fine. I also noticed I don't hold pressure after shut off so my accumulator may be bad too.
    Last edited by maupineda; 09-18-2020, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Hi guys ive just mesured my vanos pressure it was reading 100bar (vanos was rebulid with beisan seals few k earlier)
      did up the pressure for s54 specific 115bar, it is reading some presure dips when hiting the gas pedal
      is it normal i thougt i saw a vid that pressure stays constant when hiting the gas

Comment

Originally posted by Santino View Post
        Hi guys ive just mesured my vanos pressure it was reading 100bar (vanos was rebulid with beisan seals few k earlier)
        did up the pressure for s54 specific 115bar, it is reading some presure dips when hiting the gas pedal
        is it normal
        Not normal. I believe it dropped (as the DME changing the VANOS timing when rpm changing) because there is no accumulator pressure reserve in the old tank with empty N2 gas. Need a new ACC bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Not normal. I believe it dropped (as the DME changing the VANOS timing when rpm changing) because there is no accumulator pressure reserve in the old tank with empty N2 gas. Need a new ACC bottle.
          That what i was thinking, also i thougt the leak down is to rapid, for my luck Acumulator tank is normaly priced something about 110-120 dolars so i will order new OE unit and will check how it changes
          here is the vid i took before upped the presure one the vanos unit

Comment

what do you mean "upped the pressure"? You adjusted the pressure regulator -- to how high?
            It dropped rapidly because there was no reverse from dead ACC.

Also, during driving the pump turn on vs turn off duty cycle is too many, leading to worn pump/motor quicker.

Comment

That what i was thinking, also i thougt the leak down is to rapid, for my luck Acumulator tank is normaly priced something about 110-120 dolars so i will order new OE unit and will check how it changes
              Where can you find at 110-120, i just bought it from FCPEuro and was 350

Comment

Man, yours is holding pressure for pretty long, mine goes to zero in like 3 seconds

Comment

what do you mean "upped the pressure"? You adjusted the pressure regulator -- to how high?
                  It dropped rapidly because there was no reverse from dead ACC.

Also, during driving the pump turn on vs turn off duty cycle is too many, leading to worn pump/motor quicker.
                  yes i've used the pressure regulator on the side of the vanos unit, but in my understanding the vanos pump is running constantly, unlike the smg pump witch also used the pressure acumulator

about the price in europe price is better than us sites,
                  Zbiornik ciśnieniowy - 11367836050 / 11 36 7 836 050 - cena oraz dostępność. Lista modeli BMW / Mini gdzie znajduje się Zbiornik ciśnieniowy

540zl is something about 135usd, but ive got better discount and also possibility to buy without 23%tax , so its like 99 usd

Comment

but in my understanding the vanos pump is running constantly, unlike the smg pump witch also used the pressure acumulator
                    SMG pump has higher output rate than VANOS pump, and so with the ACC working the pump shut off after filled up the ACC. VANOS pump has much smaller output rate and it needs the ACC to supply the pressure during timing change as pump output is not enough for the pistons movement.

Comment

SMG pump has higher output rate than VANOS pump, and so with the ACC working the pump shut off after filled up the ACC. VANOS pump has much smaller output rate and it needs the ACC to supply the pressure during timing change as pump output is not enough for the pistons movement.
                      will get one on order, but will take some time as im taking out some parts to get polished. but any way will come back with a video of a fresh unit instaled so we can compare it

Comment

will get one on order, but will take some time as im taking out some parts to get polished. but any way will come back with a video of a fresh unit instaled so we can compare it
                        In the meantime, just to be sure a bad ACC is to blame, you can hook up an external oil pressure gauge to the engine oil sensor and check engine oil if it drops when rev up as shown in previous video, for whatever the reasons. It should not drop.

Comment

In the meantime, just to be sure a bad ACC is to blame, you can hook up an external oil pressure gauge to the engine oil sensor and check engine oil if it drops when rev up as shown in previous video, for whatever the reasons. It should not drop.
                          a slight drop is expected as oil pressure is used to displace the spline gears in and out, it would be nice to collect data from various cars understanding the different states of them. i.e. old accumulator vs new logging the pressure drop after engine shut off.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

a slight drop is expected as oil pressure is used to displace the spline gears in and out, it would be nice to collect data from various cars understanding the different states of them. i.e. old accumulator vs new logging the pressure drop after engine shut off.
                            As rpm increasing, pump output is increased too, and so even with some oil being used by the vanos pistons movement, I think with a normal working ACC the system pressure should not drop that much as shown on post #32. Look at post #1 video.

Comment

Is Mike from Natturally Agitated performance still around?

Comment

Originally posted by Mpwr922 View Post
                                Is Mike from Natturally Agitated performance still around?
                                He’s around, but pretty sure he gave up on forum life.

Comment

Working...
                                X