Dual Mass or Single Mass Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Mass or Single Mass Flywheel

I am looking into replacing my clutch and flywheel setup and looking at switching to a single mass flywheel with a sprung clutch disk. I know this can add “chatter” at idle. I would like to hear from those that have done this. With the sprung clutch disc are you getting chatter? Did the MTL 90 fluid fix help? I know there is a lot of talk about this but would like
    to hear from people actually running it.

Lightweight flywheel will chatter. No getting around it.

If its a street i would just go with the dmf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Light steel solid flywheel, so not as light as aluminum I think it's 14lbs. Sprung Luke clutch, yes it rattles sometimes. I first used royal purple then switched to factory fluid, no real change in noise. I'm more in favore of a harder core car because it's not my daily and I don't usually have anybody in the car so I like the clutch feel and can tolerate the noise. It seems to be worse when it's hot so maybe a thicker oil would quite it down? I Aldo have a solid disk that I might try to make clutch engagement even more direct.

Comment

Light steel solid flywheel, so not as light as aluminum I think it's 14lbs. Sprung Luke clutch, yes it rattles sometimes. I first used royal purple then switched to factory fluid, no real change in noise. I'm more in favore of a harder core car because it's not my daily and I don't usually have anybody in the car so I like the clutch feel and can tolerate the noise. It seems to be worse when it's hot so maybe a thicker oil would quite it down? I Also have a solid disk that I might try to make clutch engagement even more direct.

Comment

opps

Comment

Okay, so maybe I should be more clear on the setup. I am talking single mass chromoly steel flywheel, about 14lbs as stated and sprung clutch disc with Sachs Pressure plate. As Ob917 stated it only happens sometimes with a non sprung clutch disc, install the purpose of the sprung disc to absorb the tolerance that allows for chatter? Many cars run without a dual mass flywheel stock, what causes the E46 to chatter so much more than most vehicles?

Comment

It depends on if you want chatter. It will chatter and you will notice it at idle in neutral.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                It depends on if you want chatter. It will chatter and you will notice it at idle in neutral.
                Or pulling away from 2nd gear rolls through stop signs

Comment

The Rogue Engineering kit is brilliant. Uses a 14 lb steel flywheel (manufactured by JBRacing) and a dual compound friction disk with sprung hub. I had a lot of transmission noise at idle with factory fluid. UUC's mix cut it down by half but its still present inside and outside the vehicle. Its just the nature of this transmission without the DMF.

People keep interchanging chatter with transmission shaft noise. Chatter is the rapid engage/disengagement of the clutch disk as you are letting out the clutch which besides noise, has unfavorable driving characteristics. Chatter is not present when you are idling with the clutch out; that is transmission noise.

Be aware - t​​​he transmission noise will be exacerbated by a short shift kit with minimized dampening. For example, UUC's EVO3's SSR uses a thin silicone sleeve for dampening and worse, AutoSolutions SSK uses a couple o-rings. This is considerably less than factory. Pair these with a SMF and you will get more buzzing inside the cabin. Rogue's Octane has significantly more dampening. If you can't tell, I'm a fan of RE's drive line stuff, and I paid full retail.

Anyway, Rogue's kit has zero chatter in any gear and the improved engagement under power is well worth the noise for me. I would install it 100 times over. I would not install anything on the cheaper end like DKM. I am but one data point but I have had this kit for thousands of miles now.
                  '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                    The Rogue Engineering kit is brilliant. Uses a 14 lb steel flywheel (manufactured by JBRacing) and a dual compound friction disk with sprung hub. I had a lot of transmission noise at idle with factory fluid. UUC's mix cut it down by half but its still present inside and outside the vehicle. Its just the nature of this transmission without the DMF.

People keep interchanging chatter with transmission shaft noise. Chatter is the rapid engage/disengagement of the clutch disk as you are letting out the clutch which besides noise, has unfavorable driving characteristics. Chatter is not present when you are idling with the clutch out; that is transmission noise.

Be aware - t​​​he transmission noise will be exacerbated by a short shift kit with minimized dampening. For example, UUC's EVO3's SSR uses a thin silicone sleeve for dampening and worse, AutoSolutions SSK uses a couple o-rings. This is considerably less than factory. Pair these with a SMF and you will get more buzzing inside the cabin. Rogue's Octane has significantly more dampening. If you can't tell, I'm a fan of RE's drive line stuff, and I paid full retail.

Anyway, Rogue's kit has zero chatter in any gear and the improved engagement under power is well worth the noise for me. I would install it 100 times over. I would not install anything on the cheaper end like DKM. I am but one data point but I have had this kit for thousands of miles now.
                    Thanks for the info. I didn't want a SMF since my 335i has one and it chatters like crazy at idle, but that RE kit sounds interesting.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

If it's a single mass flywheel, you will hear 'rattling' from the gear lash in Neutral. No way around it. If you are talking about chattering of the clutch, that's where the sprung hub comes in.

Edit: You may also get gear lash noise while driving, in certain gears. I've got a single mass in my truck and it's horrendous in 4th gear below a certain RPM.
                      Last edited by PenguinScotty; 09-03-2020, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I had the Rogue Engineering setup on my e36 M3. I went back to stock. Unacceptable amounts of noise for my wants.

... and that was a dedicated track car (not even street legal).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback this has been helpful. Not 100% sure which way I am going to go on this, but is sounds like I might night the bullet and stay stock.

Comment

Everybody has a different tolerance for noises. And as said above, other mods like mounts and shifter upgrades play a large role as well.

Comment

I'm running the full face ACT clutch and flywheel package and I love it.

-In gear acceleration for 1st/2nd quicker. The car really comes alive above 3k and pulls hard until redline.
                              -The exhaust sounds a tiny bit different as it moves through the range quicker.
                              - Downshifting, the revs come up a little faster, but not a super dramatic change.
                              -The clutch pedal is firmer, and I do like the increased feel.
                              -The engagement is not choppy or harsh, and feels similar to the stock clutch.

There was a rattle in neutral, but I've bumped my idle to 950 and it sounds like stock inside the car now.

Comment

Working...
                              X