Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on converting from mechanical to electrical fan

already posted this in e46forum

bought the 30102049 spal fan and decided on removing the aux fan and using its controller to run the spal fan. I'm currently just deciding on mounting options.

Condor has a stainless mount just for the fan $66, N15 has a mount for the fan and aux controller $124, and spal has the standard mounts for just their fans $10. I haven't seen any other options. If I do end up replacing the aux controller with the auto cool controller, I will probably mount it in the drug bin like WOLFN8TR did. For now, Im just curious how everyone mounted their spal and aux controller.

I would recommend if you live in hot climate and like to run the A/C while the car isn't moving don't delete the aux fan.

You can mount the electric puller fan with a gasket directly to the rad and zip tie things that go through the rad - but it makes service difficult. I've seen some mount the electric fan to the existing plastic fan shroud - which is nice and cost effective. You will definitely want to retain the plastic factory ducting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The SPAL is not really necessary to be honest. I've been running with just the AUX fan and no mechanical fan for a couple of months through the Summer. We just had a 115 degree day here in SoCal, and my highest coolant temp was 210f while climbing the 15 fwy for about 10 minutes straight. Once I hit flat road, it immediately dropped back to 200f, and sat idling afterward at 194f. That's literally the highest temp I'll probably ever see in this car and though it got a little on the warm side during the ascent, it was never at risk of damage and within normal operating range.

The mechanical fan seems to be there for redundancy as far as I can tell...and probably does create a cooler environment faster, but if you have a properly bled cooling system with fresh coolant and a clean radiator...you should be fine in almost any climate with just the AUX fan.

I personally see no reason to remove the AUX fan for a puller fan...I've actually heard of temps running higher this way.
      Last edited by IMOLA3; 09-08-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IMOLA3 View Post
        The SPAL is not really necessary to be honest. I've been running with just the AUX fan and no mechanical fan for a couple of months through the Summer. We just had a 115 degree day here in SoCal, and my highest coolant temp was 210f while climbing the 15 fwy for about 10 minutes straight. Once I hit flat road, it immediately dropped back to 200f, and sat idling afterward at 194f. That's literally the highest temp I'll probably ever see in this car and though it got a little on the warm side during the ascent, it was never at risk of damage and within normal operating range.

The mechanical fan seems to be there for redundancy as far as I can tell...and probably does create a cooler environment faster, but if you have a properly bled cooling system with fresh coolant and a clean radiator...you should be fine in almost any climate with just the AUX fan.

I personally see no reason to remove the AUX fan for a puller fan...I've actually heard of temps running higher this way.
        Just the AUX fan is not enough in Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

Just the AUX fan is not enough in Phoenix Arizona.
          Are you just saying this, or have you tested this theory in depth by logging temps? Did the OP disclose his location as Phoenix? Guess I didn't see it. As well, if the AUX fan alone isn't sufficient, neither would the SPAL fan be.
          Last edited by IMOLA3; 09-08-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Without the clutch fan the aux fan will have a shorter life because it is running at high duty cycle now. The clutch fan is the primary one with no wear and tear, and aux only kick in when needed, hence it's called aux.

Comment

Originally posted by zing View Post
              advice on converting from mechanical to electrical fan

why? The clutch fan is doing a fine job.

Comment

Ill just say the clutch fan definitely has wear and tear, with potential catastrophe.

As for temps, I've ran no clutch fan the entire summer, never had a problem even with A/C.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

OP - part of my engine rebuild includes ditching the clutch fan and auxiliary fan in favour of a mishimoto puller fan (and mounting kit) which will run off the auxiliary fan controller. It does get hot where I am; ~42c at the peak of summer, usually around the mid-high 30's.

Water pump and thermostat are brand new, radiator has been flushed and has zero blockages. Will be filled with the correct oe coolant/distilled water mixture and bled correctly once everything is back in the bay.
                  Last edited by Syfon; 09-08-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

only time I have problems with no having my Spal running (I have it on manual switch now) is when I am on a very curvy mountain road during hot NC summer at 6k+ rpm for an extended time period. Never had problem at traffic. However, I would still install it for a peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                      I would recommend if you live in hot climate and like to run the A/C while the car isn't moving don't delete the aux fan.

You can mount the electric puller fan with a gasket directly to the rad and zip tie things that go through the rad - but it makes service difficult. I've seen some mount the electric fan to the existing plastic fan shroud - which is nice and cost effective. You will definitely want to retain the plastic factory ducting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      So my reasoning for switching is as follows: Im at 90k miles and was either going to replace the mechanical clutch, to prevent fan blade explosion, or switch to an electrical fan. Read up a bit and found that with a spal fan that pulls above 2000cfm, no one has had any issues with cooling in hot climates or track days. The larger fans must be mounted offset to avoid hitting the clutch fan nut, so keeping the original shroud isn't an option, which is why im looking for a mounting option. My aux fan failed at 7 years and 40k miles. Its runs approx $600 and my current one has already passed the 7year and 40k mile point. Why would I want to keep an extremely expensive failure point, when I can replace the potential bomb and the expensive aux fan at the same time with a fan that effectively does both jobs better?

I work on my car a fair bit, so I would want a mounting solution that is easy to remove. Advice on this point?

Im in south fl currently, so Ive been paying particular attention to the others who are running these setups in hotter climates. I also want to be able to do track days and autox, but I dont think they put as much strain on the cooling system as idling in 100F while blasting the a/c.

Ive read that running just a 1400cfm puller fan, is not enough in the hotter climates. However, no one has told me that they run just the aux fan consistently in hotter climates with success.

Im open to giving just the aux fan a try for science and if it does cool the car well enough to keep it within normal temps, I might just do the mechanical delete for now until the aux fan dies and then replace it with the spal puller.

dl.M3 and rbg, thanks for the info!! leaning me towards trying just the aux fan
                      Last edited by zing; 09-08-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Fan debate almost like 'what oil to use' debate. To answer the original question where to mount the controller, the N15 setup would be easiest as running wiring for the aux controller to the drug bin would be a big hassle that's not necessary. and running the aux fan without a clutch fan will have little impact on overall aux fan life--you would be surprised how often it runs anyway. There's a thread on the % on vs. temp/speed that the aux fan is on. If going SPAL fan, spend the money on a more permanent setup like the N15 vs. those zip tie solutions. No familar with the Condor setup. Also buy the rubber gasket for the fan that rests on the radiator.

For me, I was unable to keep coolant temps under control running SPAL fan only and had to reinstall the AUX fan. What a pain that was....

Comment

Thank you! This is super valuable info. Anyone happen to know the cfm capabilities of the mechanical and oem pusher fans? Anyone else running just the aux fan for autox or in ridiculously hot climates?

Since my aux fan already failed on me once, I dont have a problem replacing it in favor of the puller fan. Ive yet to hear of any issues with a 2040cfm puller

Comment

Originally posted by Rich022 View Post
                            Fan debate almost like 'what oil to use' debate. To answer the original question where to mount the controller, the N15 setup would be easiest as running wiring for the aux controller to the drug bin would be a big hassle that's not necessary. and running the aux fan without a clutch fan will have little impact on overall aux fan life--you would be surprised how often it runs anyway. There's a thread on the % on vs. temp/speed that the aux fan is on. If going SPAL fan, spend the money on a more permanent setup like the N15 vs. those zip tie solutions. No familar with the Condor setup. Also buy the rubber gasket for the fan that rests on the radiator.

For me, I was unable to keep coolant temps under control running SPAL fan only and had to reinstall the AUX fan. What a pain that was....
                            Rich, what cfm was your spal fan? what conditions were causing your coolant temp to go above normal levels?

Since you are currently running both, did you use another controller for the spal fan or the relay kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
                              OP - part of my engine rebuild includes ditching the clutch fan and auxiliary fan in favour of a mishimoto puller fan which will run off the auxiliary fan controller. It does get hot where I am; ~42c at the peak of summer, usually around the mid-high 30's.

Water pump and thermostat are brand new, radiator has been flushed and has zero blockages. Will be filled with the correct oe coolant/distilled water mixture and bled correctly once everything is back in the bay.
                              The mishimoto fan is only 1800cfm and mounts the same way the spal fan would. Depending on the mount you get, the price for a 2024 or 2080 spal fan with a nice mount should be nearly the same as the mishimoto and youd get more cfm. Let us know what you end up going with and how your setup runs when you get it done!!

Comment

Working...
                              X