X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IamFODI
    replied
    Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post

Not sure it would apply to a BMW water pump but they used to produce their own parts or sourced from OEMs but lately they've been sourcing parts from China. With Subarus, the Gates idler pulleys in their timing kits do not meet OE specs and fail prematurely.

https://youtu.be/7qYmNXOhn_o
    Oof. That sucks. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• zzyzx85
    replied
    Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
    Interesting. What's Gates's recent rep? Not trying to challenge; just genuinely curious.
    Not sure it would apply to a BMW water pump but they used to produce their own parts or sourced from OEMs but lately they've been sourcing parts from China. With Subarus, the Gates idler pulleys in their timing kits do not meet OE specs and fail prematurely.

Leave a comment:

• IamFODI
    replied
    Originally posted by zzyzx85 View Post
    I noticed that Gates sells a waterpump that has a composite impeller but given Gates' recent reputation, i'll avoid it.
    Interesting. What's Gates's recent rep? Not trying to challenge; just genuinely curious.

Leave a comment:

• zzyzx85
    replied
    Originally posted by Acarv_426 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Planning on doing my waterpump and thermostat. FCP currently has a kit on sale for $289 shipped (Geba) - Should I run with that deal or spend more money and get an OEM pump? Thanks
    I'll be going with OE BMW when I do mine. My mechanic told me he's seen the Geba pumps start to weep not long after warranty is over. The composite impeller of the OEM BMW pump puts less stress on the bearing, so the pump lasts longer.

I noticed that Gates sells a waterpump that has a composite impeller but given Gates' recent reputation, i'll avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• Acarv_426
    replied
    Hey guys,
    Planning on doing my waterpump and thermostat. FCP currently has a kit on sale for $289 shipped (Geba) - Should I run with that deal or spend more money and get an OEM pump? Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X