SMG Guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG Guidance

Changed my Xenon bulbs on my 2002 E46 M3 last night, and had the hood open for a while. When I took it for a spin, the gear # was flashing, after a while the Cog came on. Came back home and let it sit. This morning took it for a spin, same thing happened. Pulled codes via Inpa and got 52, 56, 53. Cleared everything and the gear # is still flashing, but no Cog.

Everything shifts fine, the parameters are all within spec - pump pressure is 50-70. But the gear light is flashing. The only thing I can remember is when I was changing the bulb, I noticed a wire that wasn't connected behind the headlights. I've cleaned the hood latches and the sensors. Drove it for about 15-20 min, no codes whatsoever. Swapped out a salmon relay, still flashing. Not sure what else to try. Thoughts?

Log the switch values from the SMG module. You'll be able to see if one of the interlock switches (hood, door, handbrake, etc) isn't working as intended.

If its shifting fine that would be my guess.

Did you re-read codes after clearing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll take a look at that once I get home. Drove it again and the cog came back when I hit 80mph. When I had cleared them earlier. I had my brother refresh to see if any codes appeared for the entire time we were driving.

It did go into neutral a few times just now while at a stop sign. Not good.

2002 Coupe with 174k miles by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by S3diment View Post
        I’ll take a look at that once I get home. Drove it again and the cog came back when I hit 80mph. When I had cleared them earlier. I had my brother refresh to see if any codes appeared for the entire time we were driving.

It did go into neutral a few times just now while at a stop sign. Not good.

2002 Coupe with 174k miles by the way.
        Ok popping into neutral is not a good sign. Sorry to say its probably the pump motor.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Ok popping into neutral is not a good sign. Sorry to say its probably the pump motor.

Here are some screenshots. Hopefully this helps.

My research tells me that code 52 has something to do with the bonnet contacts.And just to confirm, that's the spring that goes into the hole near the front of the car. I've cleaned it and everything...
          Attached Files

Comment

Here are some screenshots. Hopefully this helps.

My research tells me that code 52 has something to do with the bonnet contacts.And just to confirm, that's the spring that goes into the hole near the front of the car. I've cleaned it and everything...
            There are two of them. Make sure they're both operational (also give the hood a little more slam to shut it good and actuate the hood switches).

Comment

Originally posted by Pnick View Post

There are two of them. Make sure they're both operational (also give the hood a little more slam to shut it good and actuate the hood switches).
              I’ll try again. Been adjusting them and slamming the hood extra tight. But let me have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pnick View Post

So I think I might know what it is... I remember when I was replacing the bulb on the driver side, the hood sensor wire was disconnected (now I don't remember if I did it, I think I did). I remember searching for where it plugged back in, but I wasn't able to find it.

Comment

So I think I might know what it is... I remember when I was replacing the bulb on the driver side, the hood sensor wire was disconnected (now I don't remember if I did it, I think I did). I remember searching for where it plugged back in, but I wasn't able to find it.
                  Honestly just take the two wires going to each switch and just solder them together. They serve no purpose in my opinion. The hood latch light still works on the other switch by the drug bin.

Comment

INPA indicated hood switch right is OPEN hence code 52.

Comment

After coming off track, I popped the hood to let the car cool down a bit, but got distracted and never opened the hood. When I got back in the car, my gear selector indicator did the same flashing thing, and I immediately thought "shit, SMG pump failed 1,500 miles from home" and I started thinking about how I'd get it towed to a buddies shop and fly home etc.

I got out of the car and as I walked around the front, I saw the latch peaking out of the kidney.... Closed the hood and the car was ready to rock!

So, make sure you hood is closed, or your car thinks the hood is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
                        After coming off track, I popped the hood to let the car cool down a bit, but got distracted and never opened the hood. When I got back in the car, my gear selector indicator did the same flashing thing, and I immediately thought "shit, SMG pump failed 1,500 miles from home" and I started thinking about how I'd get it towed to a buddies shop and fly home etc.

I got out of the car and as I walked around the front, I saw the latch peaking out of the kidney.... Closed the hood and the car was ready to rock!

So, make sure you hood is closed, or your car thinks the hood is closed.
                        This happened to me as well. Only after popping it in the tech line.

Needless to say the switches are now disabled.

Comment

Working...
                        X