Electrification of the M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrification of the M3

I know this will be controversial, but perhaps maybe less than 3 years from now who would want to deal with pistons, rings, camshafts, timing gears, oil, transmissions --- when it could all be replaced by one electric motor. No more reciprocating parts. Below is an example.

Zelectric retrofits and converts early Porsches and VWs including Beetles, Microbuses, and Karmann Ghias into 100% electric 21st century vehicles.

Why wait 3 years, just get the other M3 made by Tesla

Comment

Get rid of the best part of this car? Nope, I would have no desire to drive an e46 M3 without it and the thought of doing so is asinine. I have thought about adding an electric motor for a 100hp boost or so and to putt around town without abusing the engine. Would be a fun project if I had the funds. But get rid of it? Whats the point of these types of cars without ICE? Too each there own, I'm sure some genius will find a way to justify it....but but clean, but but fast butt buttt future buttt butttt Im saving the environment and fast only matter.
      You really want a fast electric car, buy a tesleratti.
      I could see doing this to a handful of cars though, a bug, jeep and perhaps an awesome build would be a Delorean or a 60's Continental. Actually a number of old classics with crummy V8's would be prime for this. But never to something with a masterpiece already for a powerplant like the S54.
      Last edited by Icecream; 09-12-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Also zero desire for this... and I own an electric car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Not ever. The M3 is staying an NA S54. I do however want an electric daily when they make an X5 sized one that can do 500+ kms on a charge.

Comment

Here I am enjoying my weekend beer and thinking "this is exactly like suggesting O-Douls." No thanks

Comment

I think converting it to run on straight alcohol when gas is no longer available might be a possibility?

Comment

Maybe not converting our cars, but while watching a review of the Taycan Turbo (which seems seriously sweet), the idea of an electric sports car started to get really appealing. Think about it, you can hoon guilt free in terms of your wallet (and the environment!) since you're not just guzzling gas. I live in the Bay Area and gas is not cheap here. Plus, more hooning.
                01 M5 Dinan S-2 ish
                03 M3 Dinan S-2 ish

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
                  I think converting it to run on straight alcohol when gas is no longer available might be a possibility?
                  You can already do that. E100, E85 et al has been a thing for a while. Way better than pump gas.
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Hooning in silence, cool
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

No desire at all for this. Stopping for 20 minutes every 100 miles, no thanks. I guess I would effectively limit the wear from trackdays because I would barely drive with all the charging time.

The only thing I could imagine is changing is for hydrogen combustion when the refueling infrastructure gets there but thats still a long way...

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                        No desire at all for this. Stopping for 20 minutes every 100 miles, no thanks. I guess I would effectively limit the wear from trackdays because I would barely drive with all the charging time.

The only thing I could imagine is changing is for hydrogen combustion when the refueling infrastructure gets there but thats still a long way...

I think that’s more if than when.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I think that’s more if than when.
                          It's getting more attention here in Europe. It has taken two decades for politicians to realize that slamming a car full with li-ion batteries is anything but environmentally friendly...
                          The development is more on fuel cells but it the infrastructure is there it will work on an hydrogen ice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                            It's getting more attention here in Europe. It has taken two decades for politicians to realize that slamming a car full with li-ion batteries is anything but environmentally friendly...
                            The development is more on fuel cells but it the infrastructure is there it will work on an hydrogen ice as well.

The infrastructure is going to require a HUGE amount of government incentives over an extended period of time. Companies have no incentive to create hydrogen filling stations when there's no customers to use them, and customers aren't going to buy hydrogen cars when hydrogen stations aren't commonly available. EVs had a much easier time with this because most charging is done at home-- people only really need to worry about public charging when going on on distance drives, which pretty much means along highways. I'm 40,000 miles into i3 ownership, and have used a public charger on one trip-- and only really because I wanted to try it.

For hydrogen powered ICEVs, people aren't going to be satisfied with filling stations on the highway-- they're going to want them to be as common as gas stations are now, or they'd be annoying.

That's also ignoring that EVs are a better experience for what normal people want from a car. 10% of the maintenance of an ICEV, silent operation, no need to warm it up, no need to get gas, etc, etc-- it's far more aligned with what non car people actually want their cars to be. People aren't using them yet, because they have illogical (most people) range thoughts, but once they get over that (actually experience one)... I don't think most people will want to move off an EV for DD use once they've experienced it.

I don't think hydrogen is likely to take off at this point.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

The infrastructure is going to require a HUGE amount of government incentives over an extended period of time. Companies have no incentive to create hydrogen filling stations when there's no customers to use them, and customers aren't going to buy hydrogen cars when hydrogen stations aren't commonly available. EVs had a much easier time with this because most charging is done at home-- people only really need to worry about public charging when going on on distance drives, which pretty much means along highways. I'm 40,000 miles into i3 ownership, and have used a public charger on one trip-- and only really because I wanted to try it.

For hydrogen powered ICEVs, people aren't going to be satisfied with filling stations on the highway-- they're going to want them to be as common as gas stations are now, or they'd be annoying.

That's also ignoring that EVs are a better experience for what normal people want from a car. 10% of the maintenance of an ICEV, silent operation, no need to warm it up, no need to get gas, etc, etc-- it's far more aligned with what non car people actually want their cars to be. People aren't using them yet, because they have illogical (most people) range thoughts, but once they get over that (actually experience one)... I don't think most people will want to move off an EV for DD use once they've experienced it.

I don't think hydrogen is likely to take off at this point.
                              Aside from all that, while hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, it isn’t just ready for us to harvest on earth. It has its own limitations there that probably won’t make it viable. For our purposes though, hydrgen conversion is viable on the small scale of enthusiasts. Might be hard to daily it but by the time gasoline is truly scarce, I doubt I will still be dallying the M3.

Comment

Working...
                              X