Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is E46/E9X M3 -> 911 GT3 just the natural progression of things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS swap a 987 😎

Can find one cheap with a blow engine and spend about $20k to button it up. Then you can take on some GT2s.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

As a young lad, I got to ride in a newly released E46 M3 around willow springs with a BMW CCA driving school instructor. It wasn't even his car, the dealer had brought it out to show it off (I'm guessing spring of 2000). In 3 laps he turned the two center ribs into a single line of mush and set the brakes on fire. I'm not talking about smoke, I'm talking about literal flames from the pads. I nearly shat myself and was hooked.

Last weekend I rode in my BMW CCA instructor buddies 997.1 GT3 with MCS coilovers and sticker NT01. I have now have hundreds of hours driving and instructing on tracks all over the world and for the first time in 20 years, I experienced the same feelings of "Holy shit how is this possible!" That car is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
        As a young lad, I got to ride in a newly released E46 M3 around willow springs with a BMW CCA driving school instructor. It wasn't even his car, the dealer had brought it out to show it off (I'm guessing spring of 2000). In 3 laps he turned the two center ribs into a single line of mush and set the brakes on fire. I'm not talking about smoke, I'm talking about literal flames from the pads. I nearly shat myself and was hooked.

Last weekend I rode in my BMW CCA instructor buddies 997.1 GT3 with MCS coilovers and sticker NT01. I have now have hundreds of hours driving and instructing on tracks all over the world and for the first time in 20 years, I experienced the same feelings of "Holy shit how is this possible!" That car is incredible.
        You should ride in a 991 GT3. Even though the 997 is my favorite GT3 gen, the 991 is a large step forward in performance.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yes. The GT3 is the only six-figure car I'd ever consider. The sound, performance, and usability make it everything that I love about the e46 but it's all turned up to 11. The only car that could potentially replace the GT3 as the holy grail in my mind is the c8 z06 if it really does come with the 5.5L DOHC flat-plane 9k rpm v8 that various sources have reported. Rumor also has it that it could come with a manual, but I'll believe when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
            Yes. The GT3 is the only six-figure car I'd ever consider. The sound, performance, and usability make it everything that I love about the e46 but it's all turned up to 11. The only car that could potentially replace the GT3 as the holy grail in my mind is the c8 z06 if it really does come with the 5.5L DOHC flat-plane 9k rpm v8 that various sources have reported. Rumor also has it that it could come with a manual, but I'll believe when I see it.
            I was pretty excited for the C8 prior to release, but poor steering feel, poor brake feel, poor handling balance, and no manual have really put me off.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I was pretty excited for the C8 prior to release, but poor steering feel, poor brake feel, poor handling balance, and no manual have really put me off.
              I was in the same boat, but I'm leaving some hope for the Z06. Realistically though, I don't think anyone can top Porsche when it comes to driving dynamics, especially in the GT3.

Comment

Off topic but iRacing made the C8R GTE wonderful to drive in the sim. Makes me want to drive one in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You should ride in a 991 GT3. Even though the 997 is my favorite GT3 gen, the 991 is a large step forward in performance.
                  I'll be sure to have a good poo before strapping into a 991 GT3!

Comment

I have both an e46m3 and e93m3 but I'd love to add a GT3 to the fix. I do love the NA high revving engine in the Porsche and I expect that, like many others here, is what allures me to that car. If I did have one, I doubt I'd sell my e46m3 though - it's such a great fun car and the running costs are fairly low plus 4 seats and a big trunk. It's also probably the better daily driver, the GT3 is quite a race car with a number plate.
                    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Funny I bought my E46 M3 last November with the intent to turn it into a 90/10 street/track car, and use my 991 Carrera as a DD. However after driving the M for a couple of weeks I realized it was so much better suited to DD (more comfortable, bigger back seats, and can’t believe I’m going to say this ... cupholders). And it was amazing condition. So now the 991 sits until the weekend.

Not that you can’t turn the M into a viscous track car as many here have, or even an amazing dual purpose car as Obioban has, but out of the box the M is more naturally suited to DD. And it is crazy fun to drive around town. I may still track the M, depends on whether I can convince my wife into a euro delivery Cayman GTS 4.0...
                      ‘04 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
                        Funny I bought my E46 M3 last November with the intent to turn it into a 90/10 street/track car, and use my 991 Carrera as a DD. However after driving the M for a couple of weeks I realized it was so much better suited to DD (more comfortable, bigger back seats, and can’t believe I’m going to say this ... cupholders). And it was amazing condition. So now the 991 sits until the weekend.

Not that you can’t turn the M into a viscous track car as many here have, or even an amazing dual purpose car as Obioban has, but out of the box the M is more naturally suited to DD. And it is crazy fun to drive around town. I may still track the M, depends on whether I can convince my wife into a euro delivery Cayman GTS 4.0...
                        You should try the M3 on track at least once. It’s pretty great 👍🏻

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

leave it to GM to build a mid engine car with poor balance....can’t say I’m surprised.

Comment

Porsche is great....until you have to pay to fix it.

Comment

I have always wanted a gt3 and thought I would have one by now. I am sure at some point I will buy one. Right now it just doesn't fit my needs. I have an e36/s54 racecar that is a blast and much safer, not to mention, faster than most gt3s on the track. I don't see the point of a gt3 if it will never see the track. The limits are so high, virtually unattainable on the street in a safe fashion. At this very moment in time, I am leaning towards adding an air-cooled 911, probably a 993 to be my fun sometimes daily. Fast enough to keep up with traffic but slow enough to actually wring out regularly on the street.

Comment

Don't forget the (front) trunk also has a tendency to fly open on it's own, lol. I've only seen slow speed youtube vids but imagine that at speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X