Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is E46/E9X M3 -> 911 GT3 just the natural progression of things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toby22 View Post
    You’re talking $6k-$12k e46 m3 to $100k+ 996/997 gt3. I wouldn’t say that’s a natural progression for vast majority of e46 guys lol
    It's not that weird when you consider that the e46 m3 was around $55k almost twenty years ago and anyone who could afford one then can certainly afford a gt3 now. It's pretty simple why there is so much overlap-- the cars have a similar formula: coupe, rwd, 300+hp, high-revving atmospheric engine, track-focused, manual transmission, great handling, good looks. For people who love those characteristics, there isn't much else that will quench that thirst.

Comment

Another factor: people got older, have kids and a family. So there's a family hauler, which gives you a lot more flexibility with the weekend car since you don't need the practicality.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Surprised it took 5 pages for this to come up:
        R8 V10

im sure some smart ass here will complain about how it’s not visceral enough or it’s too fast or how it won’t be easy to maintain like a camry lol but it’s a legit option.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
          Surprised it took 5 pages for this to come up:
          R8 V10

im sure some smart ass here will complain about how it’s not visceral enough or it’s too fast or how it won’t be easy to maintain like a camry lol but it’s a legit option.
          I've driven the r8 v10 and v8. On track and off. I would choose the e46m3 over it on track for sure.

on the street hard to beat the infotainment and comforts of the r8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

I've driven the r8 v10 and v8. On track and off. I would choose the e46m3 over it on track for sure.

on the street hard to beat the infotainment and comforts of the r8.

You would take a stock e46 M3 over a V10 R8 on a track?

Comment

You would take a stock e46 M3 over a V10 R8 on a track?
              I have never driven a fully stock m3 on track. So can't really make that comparison.

Will the r8 have better lap times? yes

Will the m3 be more fun to drive? yes

The r8 is awd with mostly rear bias, but it still awd. Its just a different driving feel. I prefer rwd.

The next step for me after the m3 is a pcar, either gt4 or gt3. But lots of driver mods until that's a reality.

Comment

I feel like it has always been a natural evolution that every m3 driver would want to graduate to a gt3, myself included. I recently picked up a 997 gt3 "competitor" I have been lusting after for 13 or so years. The CLK63 Black is quite a riot to drive, but if I'm being completely honest the M3 is a far more precise car full of feel and even SMG feels like PDK after getting out of the auto in the merc.

Definitely want to pick up a GT3 in the future as I believe it's probably the only thing that will top the driving experience of the E46 to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9620.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	56813

Name:	IMG_9446.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	56814

Name:	5B110660-842E-4325-85E6-86D807ABF594.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	56815
                Attached Files

Comment

In much the same vein, I feel like the next step up from the GT3 is the F1/T50. I can’t think of anything else more expensive than a GT3 that I desire. That’s an even more extreme jump, but I can’t think of anything between them.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff.T View Post

My 996 is stock other than Eibach springs and Bilstein sports. It just hit 50k miles. The low end and mid range just feels better to me than my E46. It's nice to have power below 4k RPM and it isn't necessary to redline it in order to get it moving. The steering feels lighter than my E46 but still accurate. Operating cost have been low so far. The only repair outside of maintenance so far has been a air/oil separator failure. I replaced it with a stock AOS but I'll probably revisit that again with a motorsport part. I'd like to take it the the track every once and a while so the motorsport AOS will help prevent a smoke screen from coming out of my exhaust after some heavy cornering. That'll be addressed when a get the IMS solution done in the next few months.
                    as I'll likely be shopping for a car without the IMS done to try and get the price down and to make sure it's done the right way. I'm under the impression you just do the clutch at the same time? anything else maintenance wise? Probably about a $2500-$3500 shop bill?

I think you like how the C4 feels because the steering feel is similar to how a BMW feels. Initially, I preferred the AWD car as well. They have way more steering feel which gives the driver more confidence.

If the 996 will be your only car, I can see how the interior isn't as appealing as a 997 or newer 911. It's really just an update of an air cooled 911's interior. There is nothing innovative or modern present.
                    I don't know that I prefer the C4S feel or not, as the one C2 I drove really was a turd. I don't need, or even want modern tech in the interior. I flew to San Antonio to pick up my 330 because it was a sport package car with no i-drive.

I like the idea of the C4S with a 2wd conversion. I, like you, love the turbo body. For the prices the C4S are climbing to though, I would consider just going with a turbo at that point. One thing to note, AWD Porsches love to go through front wheel bearings. They generally last 30k-60k miles. So you may want to inquire if they've been replaced. They don't necessarily make noise when they're bad. Instead, they can just cause one of the front brakes to drag.

If you know someone with a 996, ask them to borrow it for a weekend. It's not the type of car that anyone can just jump in and be fast. You won't be able to decide if you like it or not with one test drive. The driving dynamics are too different from what you're probably use to. If you do decide you like it, you won't want to go back.
                    I think I'll like the look of the C4S better, but I can't say I've stood next to them side by side. Unfortunately I really don't know anyone with a 996 or any 911 for that matter. I'm kinda disconnected from the car scene as I play a ton of golf on the weekend. I've been trying to find time to make it to a cars and coffee so hopefully I can do some pointed browsing. The last one my wife had to work and I had the kids.

Has the C4S market being going up recently? How much? Just ticking up or starting to take off like the E46 M3 market? Much above $30k and I'll just get a well appointed C2. The other strategy is to just become very educated on the issues of the car, and buy one from a non-enthusiast that needs a little TLC. I think that's easier to do with the 911 as there's really only one major issue with them, and if the car hasn't blown up you're pretty much good. The E46 M3 has all kinds of hidden issues that need to be addressed.

Comment

I'd go GT4 personally, but wife wants a boat first.

Comment

As I Think about this, even more alternatives come up. i know these will also get some hate here but....... they are more attainable than a GT3 or as obtainable, have 6spd manuals, are NA, high revving sweet mobiles and a couple won’t even land you in the national prison system should you decide to have some fun:
                        GT350R (I know I know but still a cool car)
                        360 Modena
                        F430
                        F355
                        Gallardo
                        the littlest McLaren is probably pretty obtainable too.

Comment

As I Think about this, even more alternatives come up. i know these will also get some hate here but....... they are more attainable than a GT3 or as obtainable, have 6spd manuals, are NA, high revving sweet mobiles and a couple won’t even land you in the national prison system should you decide to have some fun:
                          GT350R (I know I know but still a cool car)
                          360 Modena
                          F430
                          F355
                          Gallardo
                          the littlest McLaren is probably pretty obtainable too.
                          Assuming dual street/track duty the F430 is the best of that list. But comparing running costs the GT3 would still be my choice.

Its hard to describe. The GT3 wants you to push it right out of the gate. You get in and it just feels right. The F430 takes more finesse get comfortable with it but once you get it, its a ton of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Assuming dual street/track duty the F430 is the best of that list. But comparing running costs the GT3 would still be my choice.

Its hard to describe. The GT3 wants you to push it right out of the gate. You get in and it just feels right. The F430 takes more finesse get comfortable with it but once you get it, its a ton of fun.

I've never driven any of them so I dont really have a horse in the barn here but I guess what I'm saying is i wouldn't be upset to have any of these in my garage. While the Gt3 is the most extreme, they are all a big step above the e46 (maybe you can argue the gt350 isnt) and it would be a shame to dismiss them so fast because racecar. Also it depends what you want and it doesnt have to be all or nothing. If I live on the track, GT3 is probably the most racecar. If I value beauty, exclusivity and a drive through the forest or down the coast alone on a Saturday morning, the F430, takes the trophy.

Comment

I've never driven any of them so I dont really have a horse in the barn here but I guess what I'm saying is i wouldn't be upset to have any of these in my garage. While the Gt3 is the most extreme, they are all a big step above the e46 (maybe you can argue the gt350 isnt) and it would be a shame to dismiss them so fast because racecar. Also it depends what you want and it doesnt have to be all or nothing. If I live on the track, GT3 is probably the most racecar. If I value beauty, exclusivity and a drive through the forest or down the coast alone on a Saturday morning, the F430, takes the trophy.
                              Agree 100 percent. All my opinions are of course completely subjective and based on my choice in the M3 as primarily a track car.

For example most lambos are a no-go for me as my neck is compressed against the roof with a helmet on.

Never drove the gt350 but its lap times at the events i've been to are impressive.

Comment

I’m a member at a local track and there’s hoards of gt3’s and gt3 ES’ that come out every weekend. They’re so capable right out of the box stock they run circles around my track prepped m3.

I can’t wait to jump into an rs!

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                                2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Working...
                                X