Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is E46/E9X M3 -> 911 GT3 just the natural progression of things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is E46/E9X M3 -> 911 GT3 just the natural progression of things?

Seems so from what I've noticed over the past decade 🤔

Is there a viable alternative? Out of curiosity, if you have the financial means and haven't moved on to a GT3, what is it about the M3 that keeps you hooked?

I have both the E46 M3 and E92 M3. I suppose if I had the financial means I’d do the GT3 RS. But the miles to smiles to price ratio is perfect with the E46, E92 generation.

Comment

Honestly if money is no object GT3 all the way. Such a viceral experience. I feel more comfortable taking the gt3 to limit versus the m3. Would choose it over the e46 m3 any day.

But cost of running it would be much much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

E46 -> E92 -> E46

Then 911 or Cayman.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Some E92 guys must have become partners at their companies, because it is still a noticeable jump from an E92 to a 911 GT3.

Comment

Doesn't have to be a GT3. In a perfect world, of course. But a 911 T/R or GT4 would fit the bill (and I cant imagine a 911 TT being bad either). I think if I found a clean 6spd V8 Vantage (preferably with the bigger motor), that would be a perfect e46 M3 alternative/upgrade, not a gt3 alternative though.
            Last edited by Icecream; 09-15-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

It was for me. I absolutely love having this pair. Been tempted over the years with E92s, GT4s, NA1 NSXs, but it had to be a GT3 for me. Both offer N/A, high revving fun but their strengths and weaknesses complement each other really well to justify having both. I could really use a practical, no-nonsense daily though (but would it ever get driven?)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8668.JPG Views:	0 Size:	241.1 KB ID:	56234
              Last edited by Jickel180; 09-15-2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jickel180 View Post
                It was for me. I absolutely love having this pair. Been tempted over the years with E92s, GT4s, NA1 NSXs, but it had to be a GT3 for me. Both offer N/A, high revving fun but their strengths and weaknesses complement each other really well to justify having both. I could really use a practical, no-nonsense daily though (but would it ever get driven?)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8668.JPG Views:	0 Size:	241.1 KB ID:	56234
                😮

Anyone who says they don’t envy you is lying

Comment

The previous and only owner of my car prior to me only sold me it because he had just received a 997.1 GT3 RS and didn't have garage space for the M3 anymore.

You''ll find the folks that went from the E46 to the E92 are either in F8Xs either M3/4 or X5M/X6Ms. I remember back in 08 when the market on E46s dipped, a good few people jumped from E46s to 997 GT3s.

So to answer your question, yes. But with the way these cars are going, not saying appreciating but finding clean examples is getting tough, keep it.

I went the older BMW route because it was what I could afford. I'd love a GT3 but not there yet haha
                  2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                  2005 BMW ///M3
                  ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
                  2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                  2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                  2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Yes. I am on step e92 out of gt3.

Comment

Porsche was the first car I went to the track with. I only bought an M3 at the time due to tighter budget. Although it has grown on me and with the amount of money I dumped into it I won't sell.

Though I have been eyeballing getting a Porsche again. Either 997.2 GT3 RS or a 981 GT4.
                      Not a fan of 991/992s. Just too big and too many electronics as with all new car models.

Gesendet von meinem LON-L29 mit Tapatalk

Comment

I'm shopping 996 911s, but not GT3s because they're too $ for me to also keep the M3. The couple 911s I've driven with the standard M96 motor have a different character than the M3. The biggest difference to me is the S54 is a much more exciting engine, whereas the 911 has the better chassis. Assuming I eventually acquire a 996, I think building the cars catering to what each of them do well will be fun. The M3 will be kept more of a comfortable, "GT" type car with softer/OE bushings, manage the NVH, but free up the motor and it'll end up as a car that looks and feels basically stock but will surprise you with the performance. The 996 I'm thinking will do better with more focus on chassis tuning rather than throwing a bunch of money at the engine.

I am also considering replacing the e90 330 daily with an e92 with what they're currently selling for.
                        Last edited by tnord; 09-16-2020, 04:19 AM.

Comment

The GT3 is probably the car with the most similar ethos to the e46 M3. If you want an e46 M3 but more, it's kind of the only game in town. E9X is a significant change towards comfort, F8X stepped back from comfort but lost the NA engine and steering feel.

I was thinking I'd get a 997 (peak GT3 for me) for a long time, but I'm kind of off it now. My M3 is at 997 GT3 weight, 997 GT3 horse power... and I still have a back seat for the kid (street) or taking a set of track tires to the track (while still having the trunk for all my gear). Having a dedicated track car that I had to trailer is kind of what ended my GT3 wants-- it turns out I despise trailering, and it kind of ruined my enjoyment of tracking.

The GT3 driving experience is better. But, for me at least, I don't believe the net experience is better.

Plus, running costs go wwaaaaaaaayyy up. I've put almost 400,000 miles combined onto e46 M3s at this point. That would be a pricey endeavor in a GT3. I don't like the idea of only using a fun car a couple hundred/thousand miles per year.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

😮

Anyone who says they don’t envy you is lying
                            Only this forum and maybe Rennlist appreciate the two cars...I can tell ya my neighbors don't appreciate me with my early morning startups lol.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                            The GT3 is probably the car with the most similar ethos to the e46 M3. If you want an e46 M3 but more, it's kind of the only game in town. E9X is a significant change towards comfort, F8X stepped back from comfort but lost the NA engine and steering feel.

I was thinking I'd get a 997 (peak GT3 for me) for a long time, but I'm kind of off it now. My M3 is at 997 GT3 weight, 997 GT3 horse power... and I still have a back seat for the kid (street) or taking a set of track tires to the track (while still having the trunk for all my gear). Having a dedicated track car that I had to trailer is kind of what ended my GT3 wants-- it turns out I despise trailering, and it kind of ruined my enjoyment of tracking.

The GT3 driving experience is better. But, for me at least, I don't believe the net experience is better.

Plus, running costs go wwaaaaaaaayyy up. I've put almost 400,000 miles combined onto e46 M3s at this point. That would be a pricey endeavor in a GT3. I don't like the idea of only using a fun car a couple hundred/thousand miles per year.

This is why I went 991 for something different and much more capable. If I didn't have a well modded manual e46 M3 then I would have considered a 997 GT3 as the fun car, but there are too many similarities between the two and not enough difference in performance for me. Consumables are definitely more with the GT3. Roughly double in tires and brakes alone. Funny thing is there's always something the e46 M3 needs for upkeep, so aside from the track consumables, the e46 M3 costs more to keep on the road (for now).

Comment

I would guess if you had similar mileage on the GT3 and M3, the running cost situation would be different :P.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X