Fortune Auto MSC Muller coilover review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Yeah, they don't adjust for that, unfortunately. You can swap the top plates for Vorshlag plates so you can adjust for caster if needed. I've done my own alignment using toe plates, strings, measuring tape, and a camber/caster gauge, and the car is pretty good - although my tires are so bad now its hard to tell if the alignment is off or the tires are bad. I just bought a new set of tires (woohoo) so once I get around to mounting those I'm going to take the car down to AR and have them do a proper alignment and go from there. If I need to get a set of Vorshlag plates I will.
    I was just asking because you seemed to have put a lot of thought into this and totally missed something pretty important (I'm currently in the same boat). I had custom BC's built on Swift springs, and never thought anything about the caster. My suspension shop noted they couldn't adjust it and I knew that was normal. What I didn't realize until the guy posted on here with his offset BCs was that installing a non-caster adjustable/non-offset plate was going to take away caster.

The car is more unstable at highway speeds, and it it doesn't self steer/center as much as it used to. I find myself sawing at the wheel more when messing around on the street ( you know, just like letting it hang out on u-turns and such). I always attributed it to the aggressive alignment spec, especially the floating front end feeling at speed which you get from more negative camber. I guess it was compounded by the lack of caster too.

After that guy's thread I went back through my records and found the alignment sheet, sure enough, 4.33 degrees of caster per side. I think factory is 6.55 and we all know you want 7*+...was pretty shocked I missed something so obvious. So now I'm looking at Vorschlag or maybe Turner hybrids, can't wait to get them and get a new alignment and see if I get that classic E46 self-steering feel back.

Also +1 on all the Taiwanese parts. They are all the same and sometimes assembled here. I like that about Feal and FA. Off the shelf BCs are assembled in Taiwan. I was looking at FAs but my buddy was pit crewing for Chelsea Denofa back when he was still drifting an E46 and Chelsea hooked us up with custom builds for our cars. When they do custom builds they just take the off the shelf Johnnies and disassemble them and revalve lol. And in all the conversations I had with him on my build he never once mentioned caster lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20200919_181738428.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	56851

Comment

Working...
    X