Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer suspension spreadsheet - aka Flatride !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer suspension spreadsheet - aka Flatride !!!

One thing that was missing from this new forum so far was - FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer suspension spreadsheet - aka Flatride

For all people using this amazing flatride concept to share, discuss, and fine tune their setups.

Here it is:
    http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM..._M3_Online.htm
    Last edited by Radekxpl; 04-02-2020, 09:55 AM.

This spreadsheet has been one of the most game changing things for the dynamics of my car. Whether or not you are on board with flat ride being beneficial (I am), this spreadsheet finally lets you get concrete numbers about what changes you're making actually do in your specific car, and what the end result is, in a way that can be compared to other cars (unlike, say, spring rates).

It's just freaking wonderful.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      This spreadsheet has been one of the most game changing things for the dynamics of my car. Whether or not you are on board with flat ride being beneficial (I am), this spreadsheet finally lets you get concrete numbers about what changes you're making actually do in your specific car, and what the end result is, in a way that can be compared to other cars (unlike, say, spring rates).

It's just freaking wonderful.
      Well said 馃憣馃憤馃憤

Comment

I just sent an email to the owner of FCM to hopefully get him on to this new forum.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

This is a great tool that I have been playing with over the past few months. Any additional guidance on what Bounce Freq and FRC we should be targeting? Perhaps we can list a few numbers based on street, sport, and track performance. If those who run flat ride setups can share their suspension setups and spring rates, that would really help!
          2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Shaikh just replied to my email and said he'll start posting on here soon.

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
            This is a great tool that I have been playing with over the past few months. Any additional guidance on what Bounce Freq and FRC we should be targeting? Perhaps we can list a few numbers based on street, sport, and track performance. If those who run flat ride setups can share their suspension setups and spring rates, that would really help!
            Talking about spring rates kind of defeats the purpose of the spread sheet! The point of it is to target frequencies. Frequencies are influenced by spring rates, but also by wheel offsets, corner weights, unsprung mass, etc!

I'm currently at 1.92hz front, 2.06hz rear, with 4647 lb-ft/deg (off bump stop) of front roll stiffness and 1237 lb-ft/deg (off bump stop) of rear roll stiffness (vs 1688/809 off bump stop stock).

But, the springs and sways that got me there are unlikely to be the same as what would get you there.
            (in 3071 lb car that's a bit front heavy and no longer has the counterbalancing battery on the passenger side, with my wheel offsets/sizes, 350 FL, 325 FR, 700 LR, 628 RR-- staggered left/right so I have equal frequencies left right)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

"Sorta" flat ride checking in. Increased front bar, stock rear. 325lb front 550lb rear. 13.5/13.25"

Much better than the 440lb/550lb stock sways I used to run!
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 DCT Slicktop Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 Coupe 6spd Slicktop zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                "Sorta" flat ride checking in. Increased front bar, stock rear. 325lb front 550lb rear. 13.5/13.25"

Much better than the 440lb/550lb stock sways I used to run!
                What is that in hz with your corner weights?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

No idea, never got the spreadsheet to work properly and gave up. Based decision on others' findings and common sense. Knowing that stock rates are 143lb front and 385-650 (iirc) rear helped. Knowing that the popular 1:1 ratios like 550/550 or even 500/600 is for tracking (even tho most ppl's M aren't track cars) where you don't want diving, but can sacrifice comfort helped too.

I don't subscribe to the idea that there's only one, perfect choice when it comes to this stuff anyway. If the car feels good, and inspires confidence, then I'm happy. You can always tinker more. If you have the perfect setup, theres no more playing around and that's not fun! Theory is the key word.

The best thing I've done is to get away from Konis to Billys.
                  Last edited by Tbonem3; 04-02-2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Shaikh just replied to my email and said he'll start posting on here soon.

Talking about spring rates kind of defeats the purpose of the spread sheet! The point of it is to target frequencies. Frequencies are influenced by spring rates, but also by wheel offsets, corner weights, unsprung mass, etc!

I'm currently at 1.92hz front, 2.06hz rear, with 4647 lb-ft/deg (off bump stop) of front roll stiffness and 1237 lb-ft/deg (off bump stop) of rear roll stiffness (vs 1688/809 off bump stop stock).

But, the springs and sways that got me there are unlikely to be the same as what would get you there.
                    (in 3071 lb car that's a bit front heavy and no longer has the counterbalancing battery on the passenger side, with my wheel offsets/sizes, 350 FL, 325 FR, 700 LR, 628 RR-- staggered left/right so I have equal frequencies left right)
                    Fair point on springs

How is the front roll coupling calculated? What % should be targeted? Is it a combination of bounce freq and FRC that determine flat or pitched ride?
                    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Fair point on springs

How is the front roll coupling calculated? What % should be targeted? Is it a combination of bounce freq and FRC that determine flat or pitched ride?
                      The Front roll couple is the oversteering/understeer ratio of the car. Higher is more oversteer biased, lower is more understeer biased. It's a function of sway bar stiffness and frequencies (so also your corner weights, offsets, etc), though I don't know the equation used to generate it off the top of my head. Where it should be depends on taste. Stock is 66-68%, CSL is 71%.

Flat ride is having the rear frequencies that are higher than the front frequencies. Higher frequencies recover from road events faster. The goal of flat ride is to have the rear of the car settle at the same time as the front, so you don't get into a pitch situation (which is basically where one of the car is recovered while the other is still dealing with the last impact). Exact flat ride can only exist at one speed, so there's not a magic ratio-- you choose the speed you want it to be spot, and then it works varying degrees of well around that (one of the inputs on the spreadsheet in the OP is speed, which will back calculate what flat ride ratio you need.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        No idea, never got the spreadsheet to work properly and gave up. Based decision on others' findings and common sense. Knowing that stock rates are 143lb front and 385-650 (iirc) rear helped. Knowing that the popular 1:1 ratios like 550/550 or even 500/600 is for tracking (even tho most ppl's M aren't track cars) where you don't want diving, but can sacrifice comfort helped too.

I don't subscribe to the idea that there's only one, perfect choice when it comes to this stuff anyway. If the car feels good, and inspires confidence, then I'm happy. You can always tinker more. If you have the perfect setup, theres no more playing around and that's not fun! Theory is the key word.

The best thing I've done is to get away from Konis to Billys.
                        I would guess, though don't know without your corner weights and offsets, than you are not currently flat ride. But, I'm pretty sure you know this from the level of defensiveness in this post :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The Front roll couple is the oversteering/understeer ratio of the car. Higher is more oversteer biased, lower is more understeer biased.
                          Other way. FRC % is front roll couple %, which is the % of overall roll cornering load transfer that is handled by the front suspension. If 100% were handled by the front, the car would plow and understeer, if 0% was handled by the front (100% by rear) this is "similar" to welded diff and oversteer/spin city.

I think neutral for our cars is around 75%, maybe a few % below that.
                          Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I would guess, though don't know without your corner weights and offsets, than you are not currently flat ride. But, I'm pretty sure you know this from the level of defensiveness in this post :P
                            Why would I say "sorta" if I were into this so much that I knew the bounce frequencies?

I thank Shak and this thread for putting me on the path to find the stock spring rates, moreso the ratio, and somewhat following his suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Other way. FRC % is front roll couple %, which is the % of overall roll cornering load transfer that is handled by the front suspension. If 100% were handled by the front, the car would plow and understeer, if 0% was handled by the front (100% by rear) this is "similar" to welded diff and oversteer/spin city.

I think neutral for our cars is around 75%, maybe a few % below that.
                              Derp, right!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                              X