Oil Catch Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    Not running one, not going to be running one. Assuming you drive more than a couple miles per drive, most of what it collects (water) burns off. The rest (oil) I'd rather keep in circulation.

Our oil separator system is reliable and works really well. I have no desire to add complexity, weight, and additional upkeep for no tangible benefit in exchange.
    super duper this!why do you want to add another maintenance item that is obviously not needed.

Comment

OP which catch-can did you go with?

I've actually been shopping them since my car sees track time, and figured its a good to have if their benefit is true. I have my eyes set on the Radium Catch-Can for the E46, if there's any Black Friday deals I'm definitely purchasing one. My only issue is placement since my mishimoto e-fan controller is mounted in the 'drug bin' already where the catch can will mount, but that a personal problem, not with the catch-can. My cars also a 04+ so has the updated PCV with extra solenoid (which I made a thread about), but should be a non-issue since I have a J shaped hose from ECS already.

Read through the thread after posting; seems maybe its better to have a cleaned and well maintained oil separator system than bother with a separate catch-can? Where is it located exactly and is it worth cleaning/replacing? My car is up there in miles.
      Last edited by BigRussia; 09-21-2020, 01:05 PM.
      2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
      Instagram
      Youtube

Comment

The yellow crap doesn't get into the intake. No one has ever had a mix of oil and water in their intake. The yellow crap only happens when the condensation mixes with the sitting oil. The M54 had this issue but not ours. It's fixing something that isn't broken. A breather would stop recirculation of blowby which can be extremely advantageous for higher HP and FI.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Nothing to add.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3868d5f0aa16f2343f889fa158082c37o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	57811
          Last edited by bjz!; 09-24-2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

How long it took?

Comment

I get 1-2" of latte after every track event. 400-700 miles. Absolutely no additional complication, or maintenance required except to dump it. Plumbed in line so it feeds back into the intake.

Comment

Mine doesn’t collect a lot but what it does collect is oily water with a gas smell which would be blowing into the airbox. I just cleaned my throttle-bodies and I’d like them to stay clean so for the time being I’m keeping my catch can.

Comment

Originally posted by rbg View Post
                  How long it took?
                  Few months. I don't use the car too much these days. Only at night for some touges.

Comment

i will add an oil catch can with my new airbox. it maybe not necessary but i don't want this crap into my intake. that's a pic from my intake with 120k miles on it. most probably never cleaned before. so it's not much but it shows that this stuff find it's way into the intake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191115_134635.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	58004
                    2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
                      I get 1-2" of latte after every track event. 400-700 miles. Absolutely no additional complication, or maintenance required except to dump it. Plumbed in line so it feeds back into the intake.

Good info, especially with how much track time your car sees. Which model catch can is that?
                      2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                      Instagram
                      Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post

Good info, especially with how much track time your car sees. Which model catch can is that?
                        Mishimoto MMBCC-MSTWO-BK - any similar catch can will work
                        Grab some hose and connectors from Jegs or similar to plumb it:
                        Contents of Carton No.: 1
                        2 2 555-110053 #10 STR PUSH LOC BLACK 5.99 11.98
                        1 1 555-102030 #10 PUSH LOC HOSE 5' BLK 16.99 16.99
                        2 2 555-110108 3/8"NPT - #10 FLARE BLACK 3.99 7.98
                        1 1 305-999160 -10 CLAMP - PAIR 2.09 2.09
                        You can reuse the stock fittings on the hose between the CCV and the intake.

Comment

How the hell are you guys getting that much? My airbox and throttle bodies stay perfect...

I got mad when I first went to clean my TBs cause there wasn’t much to clean 🤣

Comment

I have the radium kit in mine. It gets 2-3 oz every weekend worth of fuel and oil. Rather keep shit clean. Doesn’t add that much “complexity” and keeps shit clean. Worth the 2lbs imo

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post
                              How the hell are you guys getting that much? My airbox and throttle bodies stay perfect...

The catch can create the “need” for the catch can.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

same. Mine were clean for 43k miles and 13 years of service. I guess an every other year will keep them new looking all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X