Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you explain the E46 M3 to non-car enthusiasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tell them "because it's paid for". Everyone understands that.

Comment

So just ignore the negativity and do me, like I've been doing.

I resonate with what y'all have said about not even mentioning it to non-enthusiasts. That would definitely avoid some unwarranted arguments 😁

Edit: the next time someone asks I'm going to say "because racecar" and nothing else LOL
      2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post

Edit: the next time someone asks I'm going to say "because racecar" and nothing else LOL

that's a pretty terrible explanation considering a new M3/M4 soundly beats the E46 M3 in all "racecar" (ie objective) categories

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

that's a pretty terrible explanation considering a new M3/M4 soundly beats the E46 M3 in all "racecar" (ie objective) categories

So by that logic, a 20 year old F1 car is not a race car.

Comment

You don’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
              I stopped justifying why I do the things I do with other people. This is something you learn as you mature as an adult.
              This. Do what makes you happy. Some will get it, most won’t but at the end of the day, does it really even matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post

So by that logic, a 20 year old F1 car is not a race car.

if you owned a 20 year old F1 car and someone asked why you didnt' just buy a new F1 car, then "because race car" is a poor response

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post
                  Thoughts?
                  you’re taking iPhones and M3’s too seriously.

Comment

if you owned a 20 year old F1 car and someone asked why you didnt' just buy a new F1 car, then "because race car" is a poor response
                    Opinions are like everyone's asshole, we all have one, and they all stink.

Comment

I just take them on a ride and they arrive to their own conclusions. Most of them enjoy it regardless of what it is. The noise and the urgency of it all is very different from most cars people ride on most days

Comment

I usually use an analogy of something they're interested in. An iPhone comparison shows your friend's ignorance. Most people are just ignorant of the amount engineering that went into the car. I'm surrounded by ignorant people at work that hate german cars. We all have our niche, but I just talk about how much joy my car brings me. The E46 M3 is such a good platform, I went through trouble of ditching the neglected, junk engine and put a good one in it. The market is probably going to climb soon, if it hasn't already. iPhones are a dime a dozen and always depreciate. They're also made in China by 4 year olds. Our cars were hand assembled by workers that had to take engineering class. They will also go up in value. The government has restricted modern cars and forced work arounds on things that shouldn't have ever have been a work around (turbos, R-1234yf, OBD3, stop/start hybrid technology). Newer technology warrants higher repair costs whereas ours is a balance of safe in an accident while cheap enough to fix. If our car gets totalled, the insurance will most likely give close to actual market value unlike many other cars.

If all else fails, compare a Honda Civic drive quality to a nice Lexus and be done with it.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post

Opinions are like everyone's asshole, we all have one, and they all stink.
                          the guy is asking for ways to explain to laymen why he likes his car, just trying to help him identify rational lines of reasoning

Comment

the guy is asking for ways to explain to laymen why he likes his car, just trying to help him identify rational lines of reasoning
                            Well I agree with his opinion so I'm fine with reinforcing it. It's a darn good opinion to have, in my opinion.
                            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

The question should be not how, but why? They won't care, because by your own definition, they are not enthusiasts.
                              Its like trying to explain iPhone to a monkey. They don't care no matter what. Save your breath and just enjoy.
                              BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Friends and family that aren't car enthusiasts won't really understand. Same here, whereby i did stop justifying why I do things esp for my cars. But if you want to get into it...

- It's an emotional connection you get when driving this specific car.
                                - As car guys, its not only about the technology or latest style looks. Style is subjective and if you just go for technology, everyone in the world would be driving a new S class.
                                - Give examples that would relate to your friend...its like buying retro Jordan shoes, they work for what they are intended for (basketball shoes), not going to make you jump any higher but you like them. It's like going out with your high school crush but after 20 years and she's still hot.
                                - or you can throw a jab at your friend, claiming that its like your friend having a 1 Direction poster on his wall, listening to their music and after all these years, they finally came to your city and you were old enough to afford buying their concert ticket and go.

Comment

Working...
                                X