Review: Bavarian Autosport Trailing Arm Bushing and Ball Joint Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review: Bavarian Autosport Trailing Arm Bushing and Ball Joint Tool

I just wanted to share how impressed I was with this kit having found no information about it elsewhere. It's the proper threaded rod and all the fittings; clearly a direct rip off of much more expensive tools for little more than the cheap RTAB specific applications; you can use this on both the control arm bushings as well as the pocket.

The last time I did this job on a e36 with the cheaper clamp tool it broke immediately. On my e46 I decided to take it to a shop, and among other transgressions they charged me seven hours of labor for RTABs and the camber arm ball joints, but that is a whole other story. So now, having to do it again on an e36, which is the same job, I decided to buy the right tool.

For anyone contemplating doing the work, this thing made it such a breeze that I look forward to doing it again. I found a video of one of the tools this copied that shows all the proper fittings even down to the same numerical identification for each part, except the rod. It took about ten or fifteen minutes per bushing to press them in and out. It never heated up or showed any signs of fatigue and broke both RTABs and control arm bushings loose without too much strain.

After being charged seven hours, one of which would cover the cost of the tool, I was able to do it all myself on the garage floor in about four. It was downright enjoyable pressing the bushings. The hardest parts were a stuck eccentric bolt and lining up the trailing arm console. Highly recommended.

The video instruction I followed-saves a lot of confusion as the kit doesn't come with any.

The kit:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200927_085228.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	58325
    Last edited by 01SG; 09-27-2020, 05:14 AM.

That is the same as the Koch Tool 20377 I do believe. I had a chance to buy a used one on eBay for $50 that was missing one threaded bolt. These are getting hard to find anymore. You should rent this kit out, let it make you some money. 😎

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
    Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
    Evolve Eventuri
    - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

I have this same tool and yep it is really nice. It won't help with pressing out the lower inner control arm bushings though.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

This is a great kit. I’ve owed it for several years now and has paid for itself several times over already!
        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

I have checked the balling point tool kit which comes in its complete setup. Most of the people looking for the different size and quality which comes with the help of https://digitallearning.world.edu/ra...-its-features/ sie options where you can get the different combination of the wrenching tools set and you can choose these tools for automobiles need.

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
            That is the same as the Koch Tool 20377 I do believe. I had a chance to buy a used one on eBay for $50 that was missing one threaded bolt. These are getting hard to find anymore. You should rent this kit out, let it make you some money. 😎

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133489249858
            ECS sells this kit new for $167

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              ECS sells this kit new for $167
              I did not know that, thanks! 🤙
              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
              Evolve Eventuri
              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Update: Just did the upper trailing arm ball joints and the tool still holds up. Nothing had to be removed, only the brake wear sensor rerouted; all the pieces have proper cut-outs for fitting next to the brake shield. For the record, the ball joints were totally shot at 130,000 miles.

I might rent locally, but I'd be afraid of not getting it back otherwise.

The kit was on sale during Labor day weekend for $130 or so, definitely worth picking it up for Black Friday.

Comment

Which kit is it? I can't seem to track it down on ECS.

Thanks.
                  Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                    Which kit is it? I can't seem to track it down on ECS.

Thanks.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Many thanks, sir.

Jesse
                      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I was made aware of this cheaper, identical seeming tool, on Amazon for $85

https://www.amazon.com/PMD-Products-.../dp/B018VAWETU

I've not tried it personally, but it appears the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                          I just wanted to share how impressed I was with this kit having found no information about it elsewhere. It's the proper threaded rod and all the fittings; clearly a direct rip off of much more expensive tools for little more than the cheap RTAB specific applications; you can use this on both the control arm bushings as well as the pocket.

The last time I did this job on a e36 with the cheaper clamp tool it broke immediately. On my e46 I decided to take it to a shop, and among other transgressions they charged me seven hours of labor for RTABs and the camber arm ball joints, but that is a whole other story. So now, having to do it again on an e36, which is the same job, I decided to buy the right tool.

For anyone contemplating doing the work, this thing made it such a breeze that I look forward to doing it again. I found a video of one of the tools this copied that shows all the proper fittings even down to the same numerical identification for each part, except the rod. It took about ten or fifteen minutes per bushing to press them in and out. It never heated up or showed any signs of fatigue and broke both RTABs and control arm bushings loose without too much strain.

After being charged seven hours, one of which would cover the cost of the tool, I was able to do it all myself on the garage floor in about four. It was downright enjoyable pressing the bushings. The hardest parts were a stuck eccentric bolt and lining up the trailing arm console. Highly recommended.

The video instruction I followed-saves a lot of confusion as the kit doesn't come with any.

The kit:
                          Click image for larger version Name:	20200927_085228.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	58325
                          Any chance of lending or renting this rig?

Comment

Working...
                          X