No announcement yet.

Metal Sand/Flakes in Oil after Rod Bearing Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shiny white aluminum flakes are not from the old bearings. The old bearings worn down as normal for high mileage car but should not produce these big flakes.

I think these flakes from the head -- machined off by rotating VANOS parts that came loose or interference.
    Last edited by sapote; 10-01-2020, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I'm betting head related too- during valve adjustment or vanos --not good. keep us updated!

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreid View Post

Meanwhile, I have heard back from Matt and he will be picking up the car and trailoring it back to the shop upon request. Will update here, likely in a few weeks, once it's in the shop and Matt has opened up the belly of the beast.
        That's because He and his shop are the shit! They have done all the majors on my M and its always a pleasure working with them.

Comment

Matt has not picked up the car after agreeing to pick it up in mid/late October. He has been completely unresponsive since Oct 30th. I've created a new thread to track this and reach out for help in contacting Matt: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...-in-engine-oil
          2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
          2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Working...
          X