Metal Sand/Flakes in Oil after Rod Bearing Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Sand/Flakes in Oil after Rod Bearing Replacement

1250 miles ago I had the rod bearings replaced (work done by Matt Coyne at Kassel Performance).
    -- See https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...el-performance for detailed pictures of the rod bearing change (also had the cooling system entirely refreshed and the VANOS bulletproofed)

Yesterday I did an oil change after completing the run in procedure. In the pan and filter, I found a significant amount of metal dust, sand, flakes, etc. Some pieces are as large as a flattened grain of rice.

Note, prior to the bearings being replaced I had not seen any metal during oil changes.

How concerned should I be? What would you do?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200928-182925_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	58785

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200928_182828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	58786

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200927_132023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	58607

For reference: old bearings from the replacement 1250 miles ago, and the last oil samples prior to the bearing change.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16345.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	58783

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16346.png Views:	0 Size:	140.3 KB ID:	58784
    Last edited by mcfreid; 09-28-2020, 02:42 PM.
    2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
    2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

How bad were the bearings? This could be residual from old bearings if they were bad. Check the filter, I'm sure all of it is caught there. Are the flakes magnetic?
    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Some of that's old bearing material. A few oil changes will help clear it out some. You're going to have that if your bearings were failing. When I did my engine, I changed the oil 5 times because the oil cooler held onto some stuff. I had some throwaway LM that I used initially. Then I changed it again with TWS. In about 1000 miles my car got 5 oil changes and now I use Motul and the oil is spotless. Obviously change the filter with it. You buy Mann filters in bulk for a slight discount.

Now those big chinks are not good. My previous engine disintegrated a piston and blew holes in each side of cyclinder 6. Those larger chunks appeared and I knew where they were from. You still have that mystery.
      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Old bearings were definitely used up, but I never saw any metal deposits while preforming oil changes with them all the way up to the moment that they were replaced.

Click image for larger version  Name:	89434452-3042990749068459-8311542010238468096-o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	58625

This is the oil analyses prior to bearing replacement

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	140.3 KB ID:	58626
        Last edited by mcfreid; 09-28-2020, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Took some pictures of the oil filter today. Silver flattened metal, some decent sized chunks as big as a grain of rice. Metal is nonmetalic, as far as I could tell. There did seem to be some small dusty glistening bits of metal in the filter as well - which may be more copper colored, or copper itself, not sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200928-182925_Gallery.jpg
Views:	2777
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	58780

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_182828.jpg
Views:	1912
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	58781

Comment

You need to not start the engine again and contact the shop that did the work, give them this information and go from there.
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Unfortunately the shop is 250 miles away from my current location (bad timing with the covid lockdowns). Panning to drive up this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreid View Post
                Unfortunately the shop is 250 miles away from my current location (bad timing with the covid lockdowns). Panning to drive up this weekend.
                Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                You need to not start the engine again and contact the shop that did the work, give them this information and go from there.
                I think you are taking unnecessary risks by identifying there is a problem and then just blindly driving the car 250 miles there without discussing the situation. If this happened at my shop I would likely come get the car with trailer.
                '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Those large chunks are almost guaranteed to be from something else, NOT the bearings. Glitter in the oil and filter could be residual.
                  But yeah, I would not drive the car until I talk to the shop that did the bearing swap.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                    I think you are taking unnecessary risks by identifying there is a problem and then just blindly driving the car 250 miles there without discussing the situation. If this happened at my shop I would likely come get the car with trailer.
                    I've contacted Matt Coyne and will update here.

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
                    Those large chunks are almost guaranteed to be from something else, NOT the bearings. Glitter in the oil and filter could be residual.
                    But yeah, I would not drive the car until I talk to the shop that did the bearing swap.
                    The VANOS was bulletproofed, valve adjustment done, and the cooling system entirely refreshed at the same time the rod bearings were replaced. May be relevant - not sure.

Comment

Chain guide plastic?

Comment

I've contacted Matt Coyne and will update here.

The VANOS was bulletproofed, valve adjustment done, and the cooling system entirely refreshed at the same time the rod bearings were replaced. May be relevant - not sure.
                        The cooling system obviously not, the rest - maybe.

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
                        Chain guide plastic?
                        I'd say no, since its usually dark colored plastic.

Comment

Did you get a fresh oil pump chain tensioner/chain/oil pump?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                            Did you get a fresh oil pump chain tensioner/chain/oil pump?

I do not believe so, though the chain guide was replaced.

Meanwhile, I have heard back from Matt and he will be picking up the car and trailoring it back to the shop upon request. Will update here, likely in a few weeks, once it's in the shop and Matt has opened up the belly of the beast.

Comment

I do not believe so, though the chain guide was replaced.

Meanwhile, I have heard back from Matt and he will be picking up the car and trailoring it back to the shop upon request. Will update here, likely in a few weeks, once it's in the shop and Matt has opened up the belly of the beast.
                              Chain that drives cams is separate from chain that drives the oil pump. So where I was going with this (chain/tensioner specific to the one that drives the oil pump) is the shavings could be from the the oil pump to chain contact. Folks usually notice a notch ground into the pick up tube.

Good to hear they will take a look.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X