What NON-coilover suspension do you prefer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What NON-coilover suspension do you prefer

I'm leaning towards B12s but I'm looking for opinions on what you run. I'm down for sharing specs and combos with sway bars. I can invest in a supporting sway bars later. I'm torn between CSL specs or the 25mm 30mm combo as well. It would be nice to figure out which one matches either set up better. It's street driven so I'm not trying to destroy the ride quality completely(hence why I say no coilovers) but I can live without a smooth ride over bumps.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

You can destroy the ride independent of whether they're coilovers or not – all that means is they have adjustable height...
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Koni Yellows with Eibach springs along with camber plates provide a nice ride but the rear doesn't go low enough so you end up with a rake. Maybe others can comment if that's true of all non coilover setups.

I had an order in for B12s about two years ago but Bilstein were moving production to a new facility at the time and had horrible communication on availability so I canceled and went with the koni / eibach kit from tire rack. You need to source the plates separately and I went with GC from a m3f member. Without the plates you don't get the full shock travel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
        You can destroy the ride independent of whether they're coilovers or not – all that means is they have adjustable height...
        I know. I'm trying to just spend around $1k so coilovers around that range fall short of anything but harshness. I'm not knocking them but I'm not trying to lose my subframe either What do you run?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post
          Koni Yellows with Eibach springs along with camber plates provide a nice ride but the rear doesn't go low enough so you end up with a rake. Maybe others can comment if that's true of all non coilover setups.

I had an order in for B12s about two years ago but Bilstein were moving production to a new facility at the time and had horrible communication on availability so I canceled and went with the koni / eibach kit from tire rack. You need to source the plates separately and I went with GC from a m3f member. Without the plates you don't get the full shock travel.

I'm not sure why the ride difference is so severe. I'd rather not screw up the flat ride with Eibachs if they mess up handling.

Comment

I second konis and eibachs. Its smooth and dependable. Hangs great in everyday driving and gives you confidence on regular roads. Handles normal bumps and all that well, and is super stable at highway speed. Truthfully, its not as low as i wish it was, but for the ride, ill take it

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

I'm not sure why the ride difference is so severe. I'd rather not screw up the flat ride with Eibachs if they mess up handling.
              Handling is great as calhoun is saying just too high looks wise in the rear. But for the money I don't see doing anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
                I second konis and eibachs. Its smooth and dependable. Hangs great in everyday driving and gives you confidence on regular roads. Handles normal bumps and all that well, and is super stable at highway speed. Truthfully, its not as low as i wish it was, but for the ride, ill take it
                Would you run them for a track day? How much of the roll did they eliminate? Have you driven corners at the limit of the suspension yet?

A coilover set caught my eye and I really want to do benefit/cost ratio between the two. It claims to be adjustable to be softer or stiff.
                It's the ISC coilovers N1s

I want to match your experiences with the numbers in the chart so I can bettet understand the dampening and spring rate effects on our car in the real world.

Comment

Would you run them for a track day? How much of the roll did they eliminate? Have you driven corners at the limit of the suspension yet?

A coilover set caught my eye and I really want to do benefit/cost ratio between the two. It claims to be adjustable to be softer or stiff.
                  It's the ISC coilovers N1s

I want to match your experiences with the numbers in the chart so I can bettet understand the dampening and spring rate effects on our car in the real world.
                  I cant answer that question, ive never had the car on a track. I use the car for a spirited drive on the backroads of delaware, but thats really it. I havent made the switch to the track because i know ill love it and i have enough vices.
                  i can say, at speeds that may be considered excessive, ive never felt like the car wouldnt make it. If anything, im always blown away at how civil the car is, regardless of what the speedo says. Its a testament to what bmw did, and even more to what koni has accomplished.
                  this is all my opinion. Im not a driver or anything, just an enthusiast. But this suspension continues to wow me with the performance, considering the relatively low price point. I can and will recommend it to anyone. The konis are adjustable dampers, and the spring rate is almost never an issue that people even consider. iMO, if you are ready to talk spring rate, youre past the level of a entry level coilover. And if youre not having that conversation, the koni/eibach kit will do anything you need. Again, just my opinion

if i had to go coilovers, id buy ground controls because ive had good experience with them in the past

hope this helps a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post
                    Handling is great as calhoun is saying just too high looks wise in the rear. But for the money I don't see doing anything else.

I agree, its got a rake and im not a huge fan. But its a great ride and its a very good compromise if the only issue i have is its slightly higher in the back than i wish it were. Unless the Bilstein coils drop to $1000 a set new, theres not another spring/shock/strut combo i see myself bothering with for a DD. Bang for the buck is unable to beat.

Comment

Koni yellow + OEM ZCP springs are great

Add camber plates if you plan to go to track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I know. I'm trying to just spend around $1k so coilovers around that range fall short of anything but harshness. I'm not knocking them but I'm not trying to lose my subframe either What do you run?
                        Around $1k the consensus seems to be Koni + Eibach. The Bilsteins have some issue with them, I can't remember exactly what. Avoid H&R. But this is all secondhand.

My car came to me with KW V2s. I will be ripping them out and putting the stock setup back on, then watching the FCM thread to see what I do next. You can easily run stock-ish springs on the track with camber plates, provided you aren't running R-comp or slick tires.
                        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post
                          Koni yellow + OEM ZCP springs are great
                          Are you saying you have a ZCP car or implying ZCP springs are different than non-ZCP?

Comment

I run Bilstein B6's on stock springs. Supple ride quality and great control; I hated my old Koni's for always feeling the need to tweak the adjustment. Additionally I don't think lowering springs are worth the money, reduction in ride quality, or negligible handling improvement. Just a different take!

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Around $1k the consensus seems to be Koni + Eibach. The Bilsteins have some issue with them, I can't remember exactly what. Avoid H&R. But this is all secondhand.

My car came to me with KW V2s. I will be ripping them out and putting the stock setup back on, then watching the FCM thread to see what I do next. You can easily run stock-ish springs on the track with camber plates, provided you aren't running R-comp or slick tires.
                              I wouldn’t say it’s the consensus (maybe on this forum it is). Koni is good too but I think the B12 setup is underrated on here for some reason. The only issue is bumpstop/travel which is not a show stopper. Koni has its own issues too.
                              Bilstein is also pretty clear the shock is designed for the Eibach springs, which is nice to get a factory matched system. I asked them once about changing to different springs to go with their shocks and they were adamant that I not do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X