CSL bootlid paint tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL bootlid paint tips?

This morning I dropped my CSL bootlid (trunk) off for paint at a local shop that does great work on older 911's.

I dropped off the trunk and the fuel door for something for him to paint match off of. He mentioned he could probably do a better job as far as paint matching goes if I removed my factory trunk and brought that to him.

He said that there is usually anywhere from 2 to 20 variations of the same paint code that he receives on a given color to account for the fact that at the factory varying factors such as temp/humidity/painting equipment may yield a different outcome on the same paint color.

So for those of you with CSL trunks I am just looking for any tips on how to make the job of painting my new trunk and having it match a bit easier for the gentleman doing the work. Thanks.

Edit: BTW Paint is Silver Grey Metallic
    Last edited by Cubieman; 10-28-2020, 07:27 AM.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Better to have the car there. At least with Carbon Black, the fuel door is kinda far from the trunk and I'd want the trunk matched perfectly to the quarters before the fuel door TBH
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

There are 3 silvergreys, prime, more red and darker.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Yea, I may have to bring the vehicle there I suppose for him to have the best chance at getting it right. I'll probably end up pulling the trunk for him to take a look at the least.
        I had read that some people simply brought the fuel door with great results however I don't want to pay to have this done twice.

Instagram

Comment

I would just ensure that they do a butt match, as opposed to a blend into your rear quarters....in case you ever want to go back to stock. My shop wanted to blend and chose not to. As a result its not a perfect match on my Silver Grey....although i'm sure its doable.

Also is it an OEM CSL trunk? if its Carbon fiber (non-OEM), let them know to epoxy prime the trunk before painting. The top of my trunk has carbon bleed over the entire top due to improper primer used.

Comment

Originally posted by antknee View Post
            I would just ensure that they do a butt match, as opposed to a blend into your rear quarters....in case you ever want to go back to stock. My shop wanted to blend and chose not to. As a result its not a perfect match on my Silver Grey....although i'm sure its doable.

Also is it an OEM CSL trunk? if its Carbon fiber (non-OEM), let them know to epoxy prime the trunk before painting. The top of my trunk has carbon bleed over the entire top due to improper primer used.
            It is an OEM CSL piece and I definitely do not want them to paint anything other than the trunk itself.

When I handed him the fuel door he just had an immediate reaction that he may not may able to do the job to his satisfaction based solely on that.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

It is an OEM CSL piece and I definitely do not want them to paint anything other than the trunk itself.

When I handed him the fuel door he just had an immediate reaction that he may not may able to do the job to his satisfaction based solely on that.
              yeah i gave my painter my front plate holder, and they still didn't get it right. lol need to have another shop re-do the job. Just dreading pulling off all the emblems, lights, wiring and carpet liner....and getting the fitment right again

Comment

What did they quote you for the paint job?
                2002 M3 Coupe 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by su45 View Post
                  What did they quote you for the paint job?
                  Good question! Didn't get that far, which is a bit ridiculous. I trust this guy though, he has done work for me in the past on an 84' 911 and his prices were more than fair.

Instagram

Comment

A buddy of mine came up and took his csl trunk to a shop that we do a lot of work with through my job. They insisted on him bringing his car to get it checked out with their camera to match the paint. Although we showed up and they only had one paint code or combination for his.

The color match turned out absolutely perfect, his M is a Phoenix yellow though. The price came to about $400 for all the work.
                    I work for enterprise down here in my area, I really do recommend if you have a good friend that works for the company to give their body shop a call for you and get a quote. Might save you a little cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Darbshaw View Post
                      A buddy of mine came up and took his csl trunk to a shop that we do a lot of work with through my job. They insisted on him bringing his car to get it checked out with their camera to match the paint. Although we showed up and they only had one paint code or combination for his.

The color match turned out absolutely perfect, his M is a Phoenix yellow though. The price came to about $400 for all the work.
                      I work for enterprise down here in my area, I really do recommend if you have a good friend that works for the company to give their body shop a call for you and get a quote. Might save you a little cash

$400? FFS, that's not market, but well done to him.
                      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

$400? FFS, that's not market, but well done to him.
                        I’m fairly unaware of what a normal price would be for someone but I do know our negotiated labor rate with that body shop is roughly $100/hr so he was paying mostly for paint at that point. I may have an old quote laying around to fix a couple tiny dents in my rear quarter.

Either way for the OP if you know anyone that works in the automotive industry and has a personal relationship with a shop I def recommend to stretch that branch a little.

Comment

A lot of paint shops "standard" is that in order to get a perfect match, you typically need to blend into the adjacent panels. That's probably why he may have felt uncomfortable matching the fuel door. Bring him the car, and mention that you'd prefer not to blend into the rear quarters, but also be aware that paint ages and such, and so really unless you are blending you can't expect a 100% dead on match 100% of the time. Gotta pick your battles, unfortunately, lol.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                          2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
                            A lot of paint shops "standard" is that in order to get a perfect match, you typically need to blend into the adjacent panels. That's probably why he may have felt uncomfortable matching the fuel door. Bring him the car, and mention that you'd prefer not to blend into the rear quarters, but also be aware that paint ages and such, and so really unless you are blending you can't expect a 100% dead on match 100% of the time. Gotta pick your battles, unfortunately, lol.
                            Makes sense.

Instagram

Comment

A shop that knows what they're doing will pull it off no problems. paint matched both my CSL trunk and front bumper to my gas lid without blending and it came out 100% perfect. and PY is not an easy color to match.
                              2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                              2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X