Lemfoerder Engine Mounts Failed or Not?? See Post 25 for New Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemfoerder Engine Mounts Failed or Not?? See Post 25 for New Pictures

Just left German Auto Service in Phoenix, having oil service, brake fluid and coolant replaced. The tech says the engine mounts are collapsed, but he can replace both for $800. Checked my source, Pelican Parts, where I bought and installed Lemfoerder mounts in July of 2018. Pelican says they're warrantied for 2 years, but I can buy new ones from them. I haven't yet confirmed the collapse report. The tech also recommends replacing the SMG clutch reservoir and hose on my bone stock S54 manifold. FWIW, this shop came very highly recommended, and is about 40 miles away from me, one way. Probably won't make that trip again.

Get underneath and take a look. Remove a few plastic bits, and possibly the skid plate (can’t remember, but easy), and you can pretty easily see the mounts. Big difference between collapsed and a little compressed. Should be easily identified.

Edit: I see you plan on confirming. Interested to hear the results. I went with Corteco.
    Last edited by oceansize; 10-28-2020, 03:16 PM.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I don't even think you need to remove anything to see them. $800 oof. I'd feel bad charging someone half that to do the job. But I guess I don't have a shop and employees to keep in business.

Comment

Originally posted by clawhamm3r View Post
        I don't even think you need to remove anything to see them. $800 oof. I'd feel bad charging someone half that to do the job. But I guess I don't have a shop and employees to keep in business.
        With upcharge on parts so the shop isn't losing money, each mount is probably at least $200. Then the labor is like 3 hours for both. $800 isn't a bad quote. It's mediocre.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I used corteco* and they have been fine for 100k hard miles. They were cheap too 😂
          Last edited by Redline; 10-28-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Definitely get under the car and take a look at the engine mounts. If you are unsure if they are worn or not try and take a clear picture from a couple angles and post up here and we can help let you know if they are worn or not. The passenger side mount wears the most so it's important to check that one out. If you just replaced the engine mounts in 2018 then it would be highly unlikely that they are even worn.

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
            With upcharge on parts so the shop isn't losing money, each mount is probably at least $200. Then the labor is like 3 hours for both. $800 isn't a bad quote. It's mediocre.
            $200 a mount? Lemforder OEM (which is the same part as the Genuine OE BMW mount) are $56.17 + tax on ECS Tuning right now. If it's a shop then they likely have a vendor account and can get them for slightly cheaper to make a profit on the part for doing the service of sourcing them. That leaves another ~$680 in labor charges to change both engine mounts. That is a very hefty labor price and as the poster above mentioned.. I'd feel bad charging half of that to change just the engine mounts.
            SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
            E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

200? Shops can get mounts for 50 bucks wholesale, Labor they'll charge what shop hours are but really takes less than 30 mins if you have good experience and good technique. I changed 1 mount on a lift in 15 min on my car. I'm not a tech but do my own work and borrow a lift if I can. If you want to save money, buy the tools needed and you can change it out yourself in about 1 hr, maybe less.

Not sure why that shop would charge 800 to change mounts, that seems really unreasonable.
              Last edited by enjoy_m3; 10-28-2020, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Yikes. The GroupN mounts that I have from BMW Motorsport are made by Corteco. I think Rogue Engineering makes some which are a nice upgrade to that are replicas of the GroupN ones but much less expensive. Even if you have to go stock buy from FCPEuro, they have LIFETIME Warranty. So just get OE and save big. I honestly would search around, motor mounts are not a specialized item that needs to be done at an expensive BMW shop. Find a good independant euro shop if you can't do it yourself.
                If you can DIY there are tutorials that show how.

$39.83 each Lifetime Warranty
                https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/M3...6&b=9&d=600&v=
                Last edited by old///MFanatic; 10-28-2020, 11:50 PM.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

You could get the mounts for $100 and someone out there will charge $200 labor. There's a whole bunch of other stuff to do when doing motor mounts like rod bearings etc. There's local guys around here that'll get that whole job done for you for 3 bills or less. This is food for thought, but $800 for a job like that is highway robbery on this platform.
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Lest we forget, Corteco is the OES and they're E9x mounts, an upgrade now for E46!
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

another vote for Corteco here, have had them installed the past 30k with no issue

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
                        There's a whole bunch of other stuff to do when doing motor mounts like rod bearings etc. There's local guys around here that'll get that whole job done for you for 3 bills or less.
                        I’m not sure I would classify the rod bearings as a job to do while in there doing the motor mounts. But I suppose so.
                        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

+1 for Corteco. My Corteco's have 24k on them so far so good. They were $50ea and took less than an hour to swap with a floor jack and a block of wood. A shop with the right tools could do it in 30 minutes probably...but again, I realize the shop has to pay for all those fancy tools and keep the lights on. I'm just saying, maybe get another quote or two if you're not going to DIY.

I'm getting ready to do my rod bearings and am going to replace the Cortecos with Gruppe N or one of the clones (probably Bimmerworld) because I want to go to a body mounted shifter, so I want to stiffen things up without rattling my fillings out of my teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                            I’m not sure I would classify the rod bearings as a job to do while in there doing the motor mounts. But I suppose so.
                            lmao I almost commented on this. To me a "while I'm in there job" means I've touched the part to get to the primary objective, or I've done 90% of the work already. Mounts are a while you're in there for rod bearings, but not vice versa.

My oil pan is leaking. While I'm in there I'm doling the rod bearings and upgrading my motor mounts.

Comment

I had my mounts sourced + installed by a trust local shop (higher end, plus in Seattle so labor is always $$) and they only charged me $80/ea for Corteco mounts (figure 100% markup from wholesale, reasonable). Labor was like 2 hours. $800 is crack pipe.
                              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Working...
                              X