VANOS intake gear stud sheared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VANOS intake gear stud sheared

Doing my VANOS rattle fix, did my exhaust gear no problem but the stud in the middle of the intake gear sheared off. I'm thinking my only option is to just order a replacement, and I figured Dr. Vanos since it will have the rattle fix already done? Any thoughts?
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Picture? You man the piston on the vanos side or the helical cut splines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5400.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	64773

On the left in the foreground. The socket slipped for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
        the stud in the middle of the intake gear sheared off.
        Interesting. Doing the rattle rebuild should not place any forces on that stud and so why it sheared off.

Did you measure any axial plays between the spline shaft and that LH threaded shaft? IF there is no plays then doing the rebuild is a waste of money/time and even ended up with negative effect (bearing too tight).

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Interesting. Doing the rattle rebuild should not place any forces on that stud and so why it sheared off.

Did you measure any axial plays between the spline shaft and that LH threaded shaft? IF there is no plays then doing the rebuild is a waste of money/time and even ended up with negative effect (bearing too tight).
          Yeah it was 100% my fault, I was careless and the Beisan socket slipped out of the dowels. Impacted the stud from the side and bam, sheared off. I can't recall how much play there was to begin with but I don't remember the intake not having play. Either way, I'm here now .

Comment

Send Beisan a message, he might have something on hand that he could sell for not too much money.

Comment

I say just order a Dr VANOS one. They're not very expensive and already have the rattle fix done. I actually ordered mine from Dr. VANOS when doing all the other Beisan stuff because I didn't feel like doing the rattle procedure.

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the fast response. I texted Raj @ Beisan and unfortunately he didn't have any on hand. I ordered a Dr. Vanos one and I might have a line on a cheap stock one from eBay that I can send back in for a core charge refund. I *really* wish I had just bought the Dr. Vanos units in the first place – this has by far been the most frustrating and time-consuming part.

Comment

I may just buy the Dr. Vanos unit when the time comes, that is one of the procedures I feel a bit unsure about. Glad to hear you've got a part comming to get it all back in order.
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                    I may just buy the Dr. Vanos unit when the time comes, that is one of the procedures I feel a bit unsure about. Glad to hear you've got a part comming to get it all back in order.
                    This is probably as advanced as I've gotten while wrenching, and it wasn't bad. Except for this one part.

Though if I'm being honest and didn't have so much free time to futz around with right now, I'd buy that $800 (after core refund) unit that a member offers for sale on here. And maybe spring for the coating.

Comment

Working...
                    X