Engine Overspeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Overspeed

Welp, nothing really to say other than a big resounding FAAAAAWK!! Doing a little spirited driving, rpm's skyrocketed and before I knew it boom, pulled the rod cap right off.

In the pic you can see how the crank counterweight pushed the #2 rod right out of the side of the block, and also the exposed main oil feed galley.

Not to mention almost lost control of the car once the engine locked-up & oil hit the tires, trying to pull off to the shoulder of the freeway. Pucker factor = 11!

Sooooo, looks like I've got my hands full again this winter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Engine Damage_002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	65679ā€‹
    ā€‹

Click image for larger version  Name:	Engine Damage_003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	65678
    Last edited by SliM3; 11-02-2020, 07:11 AM.

ouch man! what did you do? hit 12k on a 3-2 shift?

Comment

Curious if you have any sort of shifter kit. I find Iā€™m much more uncertain about gearing with the soft and loose stock shifter in my E39 M5 than I am with the Autosolutions kit in my M3. Those AS kits are great for nailing any gear change.

Comment

Ooof! How many miles did it have? Hopefully you can either find a good replacement engine. Or do a full rebuild. Either way that is one metal way to go out

Comment

Sorry to see this Brian, you'd not long ago built this up!

Comment

Sorry Brian
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 Ā· DCT Ā· Slicktop Ā· Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 Ā· Coupe Ā· 6spd Ā· Slicktop Ā· zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
              Sorry to see this Brian, you'd not long ago built this up!
              X2...I do believe so a few years ago.
              I canā€™t even imagine. šŸ™
              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
              Evolve Eventuri
              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah this was a rebuild from a few years ago, no shifter kit just SMG. Optimistically speaking, I'm hoping this only means a new block and (hopefully) repaired crankshaft. I have all the stock pistons and rods so most likely those will go back in. Obviously I'll know what I'm dealing with once I get the engine torn apart, but from what I can tell using a cheap borescope the piston didn't appear to make contact with the valves. So for now I'm calling the cylinder head good.

Comment

Originally posted by SliM3 View Post
                  Thanks guys! Yeah this was a rebuild from a few years ago, no shifter kit just SMG. Optimistically speaking, I'm hoping this only means a new block and (hopefully) repaired crankshaft. I have all the stock pistons and rods so most likely those will go back in. Obviously I'll know what I'm dealing with once I get the engine torn apart, but from what I can tell using a cheap borescope the piston didn't appear to make contact with the valves. So for now I'm calling the cylinder head good.
                  i always assumed the SMG was impervious to overrev - i guess that's not the case? did you initiate a downshift when this happened?

Comment

Originally posted by gabylonfive View Post

i always assumed the SMG was impervious to overrev - i guess that's not the case? did you initiate a downshift when this happened?
                    Stock it is. It will not downshift unless it will stay below 8k.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Thats legit scary to have smg that doesnt do this calculation for you. Good luck OP

Comment

Terrible, sorry to see. With whatever setup you have (I'm talking ECU, logging, etc), is there any way to determine what peak rpm was hit?
                        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                          Terrible, sorry to see. With whatever setup you have (I'm talking ECU, logging, etc), is there any way to determine what peak rpm was hit?
                          I was thinking about this after it happened, & I know the computer logs max rpm for service claims but not quite sure where it's located.

Originally posted by gabylonfive View Post

I downshifted to third at <60 mph, then full throttle while admittedly paying more attention to AFR instead of tach and that was all she wrote. I heard what must've been the cap initially being sheared off within seconds before I got the shudder, smoke and 0 on the tach.
                          Last edited by SliM3; 11-02-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

What's the logic for removing this?
                            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Ouch, sorry man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X