Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Coyne @ Kassel Rod Bearing (UPDATE Miss-Installed Sprocket Tore into Oil Pan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original bearings and oil pump replacement was all that was needed for this failure. This is a perfect scenario of a shop giving the customer too much info, pissing them off all over again, and costing themselves thousands. I'm glad your car is running and I agree we should just do everything, within our means, ourselves. We also need to be good customers. I would've been pissed too but your engine didn't need to be rebuilt. There is no way metal, in the pan, bypassed the entire oil system and got into the crankshaft. This is why the bearings looked fine. I do understand that this is an initial reaction so I really do have sympathy for you. Can I say I would've done any better? Probably not so take don't this as that. This is a good learning experience for us to be better customers when we don't have the means to DIY. Time is in short supply. It's really good you shared the experience because it is definitely a learning experience. It also helps to have outside perspective when your emotions are high.

I'm glad this whole situation is over. I think this was an honest mistake by an honest shop that has hopefully been rectified. You will probably have some metal in the filter the first oil change. Also remember that with a new oil pump is a new pick up tube. The gouge cause by the chain will have to happen again so this will also cause metal. This will be caught by your oil filter.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

as a bmw maintenance tech, i have to say that any damage that was done to your car from faulty repair work done by matt's shop should be covered to a certain extent by his shop. i've seen 15 year master techs forget to Tighten to spec oil filter caps and oil drain plugs, were human, we make mistakes. However, that's where the shop should come in and fix those mistakes as an internal ticket. Hope you get your issue resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by JudahJD904 View Post
        as a bmw maintenance tech, i have to say that any damage that was done to your car from faulty repair work done by matt's shop should be covered to a certain extent by his shop. i've seen 15 year master techs forget to Tighten to spec oil filter caps and oil drain plugs, were human, we make mistakes. However, that's where the shop should come in and fix those mistakes as an internal ticket. Hope you get your issue resolved.
        The issue lies in where OP found the problem, not the shop. Then the shop proceeded to give him too much information. It wasn't catastrophic failure and the shop didn't give him any push back. It was resolved and then some.
        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

A year later - how did this all turn out? How's the rebuilt engine?
          I too am having a similar situation, albeit without the giant metal pieces, just 'glitter' flecks in the oil.
          Had the "Big Three" done a few months ago and then have been driving it EVERYWHERE since (warming it up properly every time of course) - have put nearly 10k miles on it, changing the oil at 1k, 3.5k, and 5k - most recently - and finding glitter flecks in the oil...
          Needless to say I'm perplexed. I could see a small amount of material in the oil after the first change but the third? I'm concerned that the rod bearing bolts (ARP) may not have been torqued to spec causing excessive play or excessive wear. Could that be a possibility? I only think this because while I love the folks who do the work at this shop, the tech who did the work forgot a WHOLE lot of things that I discovered after driving away - clutch sensor so my cruise control wouldn't work, exhaust heat shield clanging around, and the underbelly shroud was very loose.
          I already emailed them the situation but they're unbelievably slow to respond. Anyone here deal with Group 2 Motorsports near Seattle, WA? lol.

Comment

I’m familiar with Group 2. That’s all I will say…
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

So far so good, haven't had any issues since the rebuild was completed. No flakes or metal dust in the oil filter. The oil did look quite dark after only 1k mile oil change. I'll be sending out a sample to blackstone on the next change.
              2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
              2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by MathewM3 View Post
                If you want something done right, do it your self.
                The holy grail of comments.

Comment

What a wild ride this must have been. Like many, precisely the reason ive been so inclined to DIY everything i can, after following a similar experience with my E36. Although, nothing can prepare you for the anxiety of getting ready for your first start up after doing RB's yourself for the first time. Never have I puckered so hard. "Did i press the bearing halves in all the way? Was that really proper torque procedure? Did I put oil-pump pick up tube o-ring back on?" lol
                  Last edited by Thrifty S50; 09-16-2022, 09:05 AM.
                  2003 Stahl Grau on Imola Red E46 M3 / 1992 Brilliatnrot E30 318iC Vert
                  @ JT_E30

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
                    What a wild ride this must have been. Like many, precisely the reason ive been so inclined to DIY everything i can, after following a similar experience with my E36. Although, nothing can prepare you for the anxiety of getting ready for your first start up after doing RB's yourself for the first time. Never have I puckered so hard. "Did i press the bearing halves in all the way? Was that really proper torque procedure? Did I put oil-pump pick up tube o-ring back on?" lol
                    Universal truth right here. I don't care who you are or what you have done, that first start..... pucker pucker pucker.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Universal truth right here. I don't care who you are or what you have done, that first start..... pucker pucker pucker.
                      Tell me about it lol. But the feeling 60 seconds later when everything is normal is great! Side story, when I did my S85, 5 seconds after start up I get a loud internal type knocking/rattling noise from the front end, my heart sank. I look in front of me and see my M3 in ten million pieces waiting for a rebuild and immediately questioned my choices leading up to this point. After collecting myself from the pool of self pity and ordering new leather for the drivers seat, I checked everything externally (brackets, lines etc) to no success. Half a day later, pondering what the heck happened and about to open the bottom end, I see a can of CHF11s sitting in the corner. F, forgot to fill the power steering fluid which was the source of the knocking. Felt like I won the lottery .

Comment

Working...
                      X