Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt Coyne @ Kassel Rod Bearing (UPDATE Miss-Installed Sprocket Tore into Oil Pan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is such a bummer experience for anyone!

My sympathy and best wishes go out to the OP for a win win resolve to the situation.

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but Syfon comments rings true to me for what I would think needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2424 View Post

Bit of a stretch!

Where is your problem?

So let me get this straight, this thread is about how a mechanic, someone who routinely works on cars and is well versed in making car repairs, screwed up a job potentially causing expensive long term damage.

Your response after I posted it hard to find reliable good shops to work on these cars: do it yourself?

If you can’t understand my response after your useless comment, then please stop posting useless comments.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

So let me get this straight, this thread is about how a mechanic, someone who routinely works on cars and is well versed in making car repairs, screwed up a job potentially causing expensive long term damage.

Your response after I posted it hard to find reliable good shops to work on these cars: do it yourself?

If you can’t understand my response after your useless comment, then please stop posting useless comments.
        Except rod bearings really are a DIY job so if you cant find a reputable place DIY it is a real option for many (not all) but maybe people give it a go

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

Except rod bearings really are a DIY job so if you cant find a reputable place DIY it is a real option for many (not all) but maybe people give it a go
          Unfortunately, for many of us that’s not an option. This car can get super expensive if you make an error. If it was a Honda Civic where replacement parts are cheap, sure I’d agree with you.

I rather pay to ensure it’s done right and that a $1k job doesn’t turn into a 5-6k engine replacement.

It’s just becoming harder and harder to find someone that is reliable that will do the job right on these cars.

Comment

I dont think he was trying to be snarky. Just a matter of fact answer to your question. Rod bearing DIY is becoming more compelling for me as well

Comment

Well it definitely came off as snarky when a member voices a concern. I mean it would be great if everyone would do their own repairs on these cars but a lot of people can’t. It sucks when you love the car but can’t enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

Useless? I meant the comment seriously.

Your comment was probably the most useless thing that has been written about it so far ...

My experience is. Everything I did myself worked. Sometimes I had to touch up, but I was sure it would be done.

I've walked a tough road with workshops and paid a lot of money.

Now I do almost everything on the engine myself and that on my 5 BMWs.

I repeat it, do it yourself. :-) I mean it seriously!

Edit: snarky I had to google that

Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarcastic. It was really serious.

In Germany I help many with their cars without any money. Out of passion and to protect people from dubious workshops ...

I will not write more about it. Thank you
                Last edited by Andy2424; 12-02-2020, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yhp2009 View Post
                  To be a devils advocate... I just wonder how much of this is just Matt's inexperience in dealing with crisis management. Its much easier to be perfect when youre running a one man operation. But whole different story when youve got technicians working under you and a company to run. I would dare say this is the first time hes dealing with a mistake in his work as big as this. Add in some other variables like recently opening a company and covid etc and youve got a good recipe for bad decisions. Im not saying he's not f**king up royally right now and responsible, but i also know that his talent was quite valuable to the community for years and worth a redemption. Im just hoping he makes the right decisions as things are still playing out as we speak. Cuz lets face it, we as a community need to retain good shops and talented maintainers
                  There is also a thing called integrity. Some people have it, some don't. And it is not affected by Covid, or crisis management skills.
                  BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

If you want something done right, do it your self.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

There is also a thing called integrity. Some people have it, some don't. And it is not affected by Covid, or crisis management skills.
                      Werd. And here’s hoping that Matt follows thru. For me the big green flag in all this is that he actually told OP about the mistake they made. I just feel like a deceptive shop would not have told him anything self-incriminating. They are still communicating afaik so theres still possibility of good resolution imo

Comment

This a major reason I try to do everything myself. The few times I took it to a shop because I was busy have been very disappointing. It’s ridiculous in this case to try blaming the customer for the failure.
                        IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Quick update: Matt has agreed to tare down the engine top to bottom, clean and inspect, and rebuild. Absolutely relieved. Will continue to update here. Thanks again everyone for the support!
                          2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
                          2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

So happy about your outcome!
                            Having experienced a similar situation, when a shop is responsible for engine damage, it's always such a relief when ownership is taken.

Best of luck with your rebuild.
                            TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Well, pending your engine returning with a clean bill of health, this is the best case scenario outcome given what happened. I hope it works out!

Comment

to play the devils advocate if they screwed up a simple task can they be trusted to tear down an engine and put it back together?

Comment

Working...
                                X